Home

Do Darktroopers on Endor and Hoth bother anyone else

Vader's_Punishe

The removal of the Imperial Officer has become apparent in various reviews and videos. All of the officer's duties have been given to other units as well, so he would have nothing to do anyway. We know that they've limited the factions to five units now, one being the special unit, and the special unit for the Imperials is the Dark Trooper so... there is no way the officer is still in. This is old news.

If you watch the IGN video preview, they show scrolling through the classes for the Empire, and the Imperial Officer has indeed dropped out.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is BF1942 a realistic depiction of WWII? Are all the classes and vehicles historically accurate -- definitely not.

I view SWBF the same way. Darktroopers are probably on the Endor and Hoth maps for play balance issues. Taking them out, could possibly weaken the Imperial side.

Star Wars Battlefront is designed to give you the feel of participating in the movies' best battles. It's not designed to be 100% accurate. Does anyone remember sniper rifles in the SW films? Exploding droids?

When Leia walks into Jabba's palace with a thermal detonator, everyone acts like this is some kind of rare, all-powerful weapon. In SWBF everyone carries them.

Don't discount the Darktroopers until you've played the game. It's very likely you might be happy they're there.

Well written Singard, thats how I think also. I think droidekkas will be the Noob magnet, just because they are going to be looking for something that is powerful and protected, and the shield with the fast firing guns will give them that, until of course they run out and they get annihalated.

Once again, this is not an issue of balance. If I were to make a discussion on balance it would deal with the jet pack trooper who seems much more better with a real jet-pack and a rocket. This is instead about the plausibility of these battles.

Many of you bring up good points about the Darktroopers weren't the only ones not on Endor. True enough, but we are NOT looking for "100%" validity, we just want the battles to be semi-real and nothing that would make us think other wise.

There are two factors that the Darktrooper has going against him.

1) Balance - This is one that others have going for them such as the Rebel Vangaurd. The Darktrooper on the other hand contributes nothing to balance. He seems like the Covert Op in ET. The lone wolf, except for an ocassional door and smoke screen, the team could have done without. The Dark Trooper has no "job" which makes him expendable.

2) Believability - This is the big one. It just is not believable that they are their. If the jump-pack was exchanged with the weapons I mentioned in the first post, then it would be believable to me because I could pretend enough that he was just a beefed up storm trooper. I mentioned before that the Dark-troopers jump abilty will allow them to set up flanks and surprise the rebels/ewoks. This goes against the way the battle went down because for the most part the rebels were the ones surprising. Nothing would steam me off more than to be in an isolated part of the battle peering around trees to the battle ahead then suddenly die to in one shot to the head by a shotgun, and while in death cam I see him jump away in the air. If a storm trooper did it, I would give him props.

The only other class that would qualify under these stipulations is the Rebel Smuggler, but he doesn't the way the game is played like the Darktrooper does who goes against the people on the ground with guns theory. The Smuggler is violation 1 while the Dark Trooper would be a violation 4.

I think the key for me is that, it is not just the fact that he does not belong there, it is what he can do that really makes him not belong there. The Darktrooper really seems out of place for me.

Thats the balance part of it. I kind of put that in my post too, when I said they ran out. I didn't make it very cllear though.

Good points Vader but that is the Darktroopers job to set up flanks. If they can do that thats their job. Most people will be peeved off about it. But what can they do boycott them? Oh well.

Originally posted by Mango Fett

Dun dun dun, du du du...:eek:

rofl :D

Anyways, the 1 thing i hope, is that the Dark trooper will be left out of hoth

see its like this,on each map theres a different setup for characters, like on hoth there are snowtroopers (instead of normal ones)

so it may just've been left out and used for battles we havent seen in the movies (EU)

Fat Chance. If you take out one class what are you going to take out for the other side? The Wookiee? I just don't think its going to happen. There are just different skins on different maps, like on kamino the clones are wearing cape type things, but on Naboo they aren't.

Dark troopers will not appear in the Historical campaigns during the battles of Hoth or Endor, and since the player will be on the Alliance on those missions, you won't be able to pick a dark trooper as well. They will be available in the multiplayer, instant action, and Galactic Conquest version of those maps though... hopefully, this is the best of both worlds.

Originally posted by Cydon Prax

Dark troopers will not appear in the Historical campaigns during the battles of Hoth or Endor, and since the player will be on the Alliance on those missions, you won't be able to pick a dark trooper as well. They will be available in the multiplayer, instant action, and Galactic Conquest version of those maps though... hopefully, this is the best of both worlds.

am I correct in assuming ur a dev?

First let me say all this talk about "I don't want Dark Troopers in a game where I am trying to re-enact the SW battles..." . Know what that brings to mind? All those southern gents getting together in their old "historically accurate" Civil War outfits and spending a weekend re-playing the Battle of Gettysburg over, and over again. Which is fine for them, it's a relativly private gathering which anyone can watch but not everyone can participate in which generally only occurs a couple of times a year...

Now tell me this are you seriously going to be re-enacting (or attempting to) Starwars battles over and over and over again and trying to keep it "accurate to the movies and GL's vision" (which BTW it's not GL's vision, only Episodes I-III are GL's vision, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and the rest of the major actors changed like > 75% of EP IV-VI scripts because frankly (to quote Ford) "George Lucas sucks as a writer", which EP I-III make evident) for hours on end every night? I mean for how long can you go "Ok we have to set our defenses up here, here, and here and we have to let 1 AT-AT get through and take out the Shield Generators", I mean that is "re-enacting" the SW battles after all right?

Sorry, but for the majority of the time your going to be gaming, and no matter how big of an SW Affectionado you may think you are, are going to be spending 99% of the time (after first playing through all the maps once and seeing the "cool" stuff) trying to kill more people and get a better score than anyone else on the server, while enabling your team to win. Either that our your going to quit playing out of frustration and getting your butt handed to you repeatedly by people who play FPS games for competitivness and to win and could care less about how accurate to SW it is. Get over it, it's a game. Are DT's "cannon"? No... But the Lucasarts is FIRST and FOREMOST a business, and if they can get even more people to pick up the game because it has a "leet" looking DT in it then they are going to put it in it. And you can say all day how you'll never buy the game, or will hate it because of that and guess what, I will lay you 10 to 1 odds you will STILL pick up the game and play it extensivly regardless. But that's just my 2 cents.

And no I'm not over-reacting, ranting, or freaking out. I'm just stating my opinion and unfortunatly tend to be wordy (my apologies). I am also perfectly calm and relaxed :). Like I said it's just a game, play it for fun and leave it at that.

Originally posted by =HR=Meltdown

Sorry, but for the majority of the time your going to be gaming, and no matter how big of an SW Affectionado you may think you are, are going to be spending 99% of the time (after first playing through all the maps once and seeing the "cool" stuff) trying to kill more people and get a better score than anyone else on the server, while enabling your team to win. Either that our your going to quit playing out of frustration and getting your butt handed to you repeatedly by people who play FPS games for competitivness and to win and could care less about how accurate to SW it is. Get over it, it's a game. Are DT's "cannon"?

Not everyone is playing this game just ''to win'' m8, actually i myself dont give a **** about it, its the fun and action that counts :cool:

We dont want the game to be uber precise like in the movie, but get a ''feel'' of like in the movie, i never saw a wookie (exept chewy) on hoth, neither was the case with dark troopers

BF1942 is different everytime, and it aint precise at all, but it sure is fun as hell, and after all those years it was released i still play it :D

this may just be same with SWBF, the freedom in this kind of games is supreme, and the gameplay.. incredible, i have numerous stories about action packed situations, and buyed every single expansion pack, and mods are still developing, if SWBF is the same as this, you can be sure this was the SW game we all awaited, but i respect your opinion

Also your saying we may quit out of frustration, sure, there ARE certain moments when you want to split that rotten cd-disk in two, but what good does that do? i for one have been teamkilled and been called names MANY times before, but..well i explained.

you CANT re-act the movies, sure you can make a group and attack the enemy, but the others would spoil it anyways, but i wasnt planning to do so, but you CAN teamwork with eachother

''and getting your butt handed to you repeatedly by people who play FPS games for competitivness and to win and could care less about how accurate to SW it is''

Also, i dont let myself get frustrated by people who wont relive the movies and the accuracy, its a game, i mean, who would try to? most of us dont even care, and why would we throw away our games just becoz of this? and thats why most games have clans, for the competition.

my 2 cents..or 3..

And actually BF42 isn't accurate at all..... Now if you wanted to get onto someone for being historically innaccurate nothing in 42, not even the maps, is accurate at all (thank god for Forgotten Hope). But as you said it's all fun (though I admit I haven't played Vanilla '42 since EoD and FH came out), but just remember quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots. Let LA do what they are going to do, the game will still be enjoyable, and if you don't like it change it with the mod tools.

As for the "Darktroopers encourage lonewolfing" stated earlier.... DT's won't encourage it the nature of the game encourages it. And you never know they may not be lonewolfing. On the servers I play on (EoD, BF:V EoD, FH, and DC) most people think I am a lonewolf when actually half of the team is on TS executing strats while the other half/other team don't have a clue what's going on and thus think each of us individually are lonewolfing things when actually we're just spread out providing support for one another in the form of intelligence and flanking maneuvers. So remember it might not be that they are lonewolves it might just be that you are out of the loop. Anyways I'm rambleing pretty good now and need to leave work, I think it's getting to me :).

i know mango, i mean its not like you can press a tap on the back to distract a scout trooper and lure him into a trap, there is no "tell the gungans that padme is the queen" button to make them help more and i extremly doubt you can go up to an :atat: trap door and through in a pulse grenade to take it down. so if you can't do these things you cant renact the battles well so there is no point trying just have fun in the star wars galaxy an one eu unit dosent make that much difference and if you dont like it dont play it.

sorry about that but i got annoyed

Archived