Acrylic

What are you getting?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What are you getting?

• Nintendo DS
    • Sony PSP
    • Both
    • Neither

I'll wait until Nintendo's comes down to around 70 bucks, then I'll buy one and wipe my ass with it.

I'm bitter at Nintendo for screwing me over in the last console war. I should have bought an XBox >:|

But in all seriousness, I'll wait until prices start to fall, see which one has more games that I like, and get that one. Which looks like it'll be the PSP.

Nintendo is the king of handhelds, no doubt about it. However, you have to take into account the immense popularity Sony has. Taking that into account the PSP has gotten Nintendo worried and the DS is Nintendo's very calm way of dealing with the competition for its Game Boy series.

Yes. I am a Nintendo fanboy, but I can see the reality in things too. At first the competition between the PSP and NDS will be close, however here's the thing...

I like the PSP, it's like that lil gadget everyone wants, sleek, sexy and gives a look of power. However... If I wanted to play complete 3D games from the PS1 and 2... I'd buy a PS2, I'd get my moneys worth with it and I'd get to experience it on a big ass TV and everything. Nintendo on the other hand is givin me something that I can't get from the GCN or a PS2 or an XBox. It's new, it's VERY interesting and it has so much portentual.

Does anyone remember the N-Gage? I'm not saying the PSP's run will be like that, but in the end the PSP will most likely be used more as a multimedia device rather than a handheld gaming device. What I'm saying is that Sony better come up with something very new and engaging for the PSP otherwise the only real value it'll have is to make people look cool and to watch lil movies and listen to mp3s on it. Which isn't a bad thing from Sony's view, as long as they sell em, I don't really think they care what we do with em.

The NDS... well. Nintendo caught me off guard with the NDS. It was at a time when I was losing faith in Nintendo, but the NDS, MP2:E the new Legend of Zelda and the Revolution renewed my faith :p

I love the idea of a new type of interface. I loved how there were shoulder pads on the SNES and I loved the analogue stick on the N64 and the analogue with digital clicking shoulder pads on the GCN were a great idea though most games don't use that feature very effectively.

The touchpad is popular with the developers and that's a great thing to hear cause it's gotten them excited. And when developers are excited you can expect a lot of interesting games to come out. I can't wait to see these new games, and I really can't wait to see what kind of magic Nintendo will cook up with their mascot games for the NDS.

I think i'm probably in the "wait and see" category. Although at the moment the DS looks the more appealing.

Unfortunately, neither looks perfect, and i may well end up getting neither and waiting until the NEXT generation of handhelds.

DS Pros:

Stylus could be interesting.

Clamshell design. (more compact, less scrathing and generally better)

Touchscreen and dual screens could lead to some interesting control methods.

Battery life.

GBA games (already a huge library with some great ones)

Utilities (Organiser, chat etc...)

DS Cons:

Stylus could be a big mistake and only work in gimmick games

Stylus could scratch screen.

Doesn't look as stylish.

No analogue stick.

PSP Pros:

Analogue Stick.

More Power!! grr!

Lovely design.

Supposed movie and music abilities.

PSP Cons:

Not clamshell.

PS1 game ports may not translate well.

UMD Disks not recordable ( this means you need to buy seperate copies of movies and music in a format you can't use anywhere except on your handheld. They had better only be a few quid each).

As i already have a GP32 that can play movies, mp3s, doom, sam'n'max, GBC, SNES etc... games i'm not sure either of these handhelds will provide me with much i can't do already.

The 3d abilities may well make them worth getting, but in general i think that 3d games aren't going to work as well as clear, cartoony sprite based games (which nintendo excels at) on such a tiny screen. I don't tend to use my movie and music capabilities much (and i can just rip my own, which a PSP user cant) as i already have an mp3 player, and it is rare that you are on a journey long enough (and alone) to watch a whole film uninterupted. (except on planes, where they already show them). All i tend to use it for is watching short episodes of anime or transformers as cartoons work better on a small screen.

So, both look interesting, the DS looks slightly better, but it will all come down to control methods and games. :D

Originally posted by Jed

I'll wait until Nintendo's comes down to around 70 bucks, then I'll buy one and wipe my ass with it.

I'm bitter at Nintendo for screwing me over in the last console war. I should have bought an XBox >:|

But in all seriousness, I'll wait until prices start to fall, see which one has more games that I like, and get that one. Which looks like it'll be the PSP.

I can kinda agree with you. Gamecubes a good system and all, but for me theres barely any games that I would buy. I don't care about online compatability, because I'm not willing to pay monthly for Microsoft's and Sony's service anyway. Its just the fact that theres few games that I would enjoy.

Even though the PSP is really sleek and stuff, the DS to me is more stylish, because its foldable. Plus, Fingerprints show up VERY well on the PSP, if you've seen Hi-res photos of the PSP. It wont be the case on the DS, on account of they're using a different kind of plastic.

Originally posted by Acrylic

Even though the PSP is really sleek and stuff, the DS to me is more stylish, because its foldable. Plus, Fingerprints show up VERY well on the PSP, if you've seen Hi-res photos of the PSP. It wont be the case on the DS, on account of they're using a different kind of plastic.

thats why you gotta get a white one :p

mtfbwya

Archived