Home

JK2 RGB Disruptor Fire

Vox-uLaw

Dear Open Jedi Project:

Sect-AC is currently one of the largest Pro-Class JK2 InstaGib communities.

Our most recently completed project is the muTracker, an online server monitor for a number of games. A working RCON Interface and a Force & Weapon Display are available for JK2 & JKJA.

We have coded our own JK2 Server-Side Mod, which handles majority of our admin needs, has an internal score/kills/deaths/caps/accuracy Client Stat-Tracker, and features other miscellaneous attributes. The mod was ported to JK3; due to little interest, the project was terminated.

Currently, we are developing the next version of the JK2 mod.

However, in this version we would like to take InstaGib to the next level and implement Client-Side Plug-ins.

We are looking to create a plug-in, which would allow clients to customize the color of the disruptor’s fire color via sliders.

We are not looking for a code handout. Rather, we are in need of a place to start.

Little documentation on how to approach this type of project could be found on the Internet.

Would you be able to offer us any insight or advice regarding the matter?

Thank you for your time,

AC :: TLA

Well, first off, thank you not asking for a handout. That's a very refreshing change of pace.

Anyway, in reguards to your request, I'm guessing that the best way to handle this would be to alter the EV_DISRUPTOR_* game events (search for "EV_DISRUPTOR_" in the code). What you'll be doing is using other slots in the entityState (ent->s.) to transfer the RGB data on that particular effect to the clients.

From there, you'd have to alter the cgame event handling for each to display the newly RGB effect.

The best way to determine how to handle the RGB effect creation would be to check out the source code for one of the numberous RGB saber mods that are out there. OJP also has RGB saber code (the search tag for that in the OJP code is "rgbsabers" I think).

I hope that gets you started. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

I have the selection menu layed out now.

We're working on the disruptor's entites.

Though I got lost when attempting to show a preview display of the choosen color. I think the UI may heavily involved.

(UPDATE)

It was late last night.

I guess that's why.

To Moderator:

Since I am just asking questions and figuring them out, this thread may not need to be retained.

If you wish to keep it for archive purposes you may. If not, by all means delete it.

Thanks for all your help.

Actuall.

As of today, we're done with the first beta.

It was a bit confusing at first, but after a few days we got the hang of it.

Though we had to make a server-side function to attach the selected colors to the player's state. As we could not figure out how to get the UI to do that.

It wasn't as difficult as I had expected.

The hardest part was figuring out how the UI's OWNERDRAW function worked. Though I finally got it to draw the colored box, according the the RGB sliders.

Though not really apart of the project, we finally have semi-transparent ctf flags setup.

:)

BTW, is that avatar from FreeSpace2?

I am sure I've seen that character somewhere before. Or, it could just be me.

Anyway,

Thanks for all your help.

:)

Archived