Home

A new thought for swgb2

pbguy1211

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't misunderstand me. The Trade Federation is definitely not "neutral". They are definitely allies to the Confederacy. But that is very different from being part of the Confederacy treaty.

As much as I hate to "do a Windu" and use a real world example, I feel I must to point out the difference. Currently, the USA and Australia are allies, much like the Confederacy and Federation. When the USA goes to war, Australia comes along and supports their forces. However, Australia is not a part of the USA. Becoming part of the USA would mean becoming dependent upon the USA and not being able to govern itself. So you can see how, even in a time of war, the Trade Federation would still be reluctant to properly join the Confederacy rather than just remain allies, especially when Dooku still has an outstanding commitment to assassinate Amidala.

The Republic doesn't have unlimited resources. They're fighting against combined forces. They may not have the resources to go after the Trade Federation, and who said they'd transport weapons? Maybe they'll get a hold of the Bacta sales and charge extremely high prices in war zones? (Stark Hyperspace War anyone? :p ) Those Federation ships aren't completely defenseless (although they have design flaws).

The Intergalatctic Banking clan and it's ilk would have had the same thinking but they joined anyway your forgeting what dooku promised them a new galactic order where once the war was won they'd be free to expand their buisnesses as much as the could possibly want. The trade federation would jump at this chance.

Well although that idea comes from EU I'll work with it rather than just throw it out. The difference in that example with the IGBC is that it was Dooku giving the IGBC the ultimatum: "Join the Confederacy and you can expand your business after the War." In the case of the Trade Federation, it was Gunray who was giving the ultimatum to Dooku: "Kill Amidala and we'll join the Confederacy."

So for the IGBC, joining the Confederacy was the means to the ends. For the Federation, joining the Confederacy was the ends and not the means.

Don't overlook the fact that the Trade Federation army is probably the most valuable of all the Commerce Guilds, and as such Dooku will highly prize their joining the Confederacy. The Trade Federation will naturally use this to their advantage; they'd probably join the Confederacy anyway, but why not use Dooku's desires (the aquisition of the Federation Army) to fulfill their own desires (the assassination of Amidala)?

Note that I'm not saying the Federation never will join the Confederacy. By the start of Episode III, I'm pretty sure they would have joined despite Amidala being still alive. But I believe that to consider the Trade Federation as a part of the Confederacy for the majority of the Clone Wars is incorrect. For much of the war, they were probably just allies rather than signatory to the Treaty. I think this is pointed at by the number of official sources that speak of the Republic's enemy as being the "Separatists" rather than the "Confederacy", for the title of Separatists certainly includes the Trade Federation while the title of Confederacy does not.

Actually i think that's more along the lines of the republic Not Recognising the Treaty and regarding them as rebels Or Seperatists.

Nemodians like Money, The make more money by expanding their buisness, ergo the Trade Federation would also be attracted by that offer while i agree they would try to exploit dooku about amidala but not be too attached to the idea. especially since You deny EU you cannot be 100% certain about the structure of the Trade Federation Leadership and the Existance of the Trade Fedreation Directorate. knowing about that also explains how the republic had a shipyard company with them with the likes of Rothana and Kuat

Nute Gunray is nothing but a pawn for Palpatine's plan. I don't think it would make much difference if he signed or not since the Trade Federation army is still being used by the Separatists. I really don't think Lucas thought that deep in the subject probably thought it sounded good on sceen for Gunray to want Amidala dead so badly.

Archived