Home

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Twelve megabytes a second is nothing to scoff at, I think that's fairly decent. The transfer speed is not entirely dependent on the OS, there are other factors to consider such as the USB revision and the speed of the HDD being used.

Out of curiosity, what speeds do you get when transferring files onto an external hard drive from whatever OS you use?

Generally about the same. However, at any random point when Vista decides it feels like being lazy it can drop to 1-6mb/sec or even bytes per second, which is horrible if youre trying to move anything more than a text file somewhere.

That usually occurs when youre sending something across a network and not onto another drive though, but XP never had that problem.

It varied in transfer rate. It started out for the first 20 minutes at around 12-15 mb/s, and ended up averaging around 19mb/s. And that's between two USB 2.0 hard drives while watching an episode of Penn & Teller's Bull****.

Also, I got $2.55 in change.

P7010111.jpg

Generally about the same. However, at any random point when Vista decides it feels like being lazy it can drop to 1-6mb/sec or even bytes per second, which is horrible if youre trying to move anything more than a text file somewhere.

That usually occurs when youre sending something across a network and not onto another drive though, but XP never had that problem.

I recall using XP for the first time back in 2001 and getting rather pedestrian transfer rates as well. This was fixed in SP1. Likewise, Vista's transfer speeds have been addressed by the recently released service pack, which everyone should be running by now. I personally have never had a transfer dip below 10MB/s.

And if you're getting the same speeds, then I hardly think you can qualify them as '****ty'. :xp:

I recall using XP for the first time back in 2001 and getting rather pedestrian transfer rates as well. This was fixed in SP1. Likewise, Vista's transfer speeds have been addressed by the recently released service pack, which everyone should be running by now. I personally have never had a transfer dip below 10MB/s.

And if you're getting the same speeds, then I hardly think you can qualify them as '****ty'. :xp:

Well, they suck! I have SP1 and they suck like 75% of the time!

..:(

I got a couple of Pink Floyd t-shirts, but I couldn't find any pictures of them and I don't feel like digging out the camera. One of them has the album cover for Wish You Were Here and the other one says "Wish You Were Here" with like a lake or something in the background.

8780198_sa.jpg

8780198cv1a.jpg

8780198le.jpg

• Gateway P-6860FX
  • Core™2 Duo processor T5550 (Fully Upgradable!)
  • 4GB PC2-5300 Ram
  • 320GB Harddrive (With slot for second 2.5" hdd)
  • NVIDIA GeForce Go 8800M GTS 512MB (Fully Upgradable!)
  • 17" Widescreen Display
  • All sorts of goodies

I had to pick up a new laptop today because my company's last contract purchased my work laptop and they requested it back. :( I headed to Best Buy after work, saw this one on sale and thought it was a pretty sweet deal.

So far I'm very happy with it. It's built like a tank (over 9 pounds!) and is super easy to get into and swap parts. Once the T9300s come down in price I'm going to throw one of those into it. Now I just need to find a good bag for it. :)

On sale for $1099. I also decided to sign up for a BB credit card when I got this and just pay it off over the next month or so. I find it much easier to part with money when it's in smaller increments. :D

Gateway originated from my hometown so I have somewhat of a soft spot for them despite them losing their way in the past.

I REALLY need some suggestions for a bag for this thing. I'm at a loss.

That doesn't even have a diamond encrusted handle and I see nary a hint of Leopard skin. What is this **** you're trying to panhandle off on me, jmac? :carms:

Your tastes are still entirely too proletariat.

Where are the tanned skins from survivors of Hiroshima?

Just ordered a 1400 page graphic novel for $26 off Amazon... can anyone guess what it is? I've been meaning to get it for a long time...

Trouble at Tentacle High?

:naughty:

that's a real lickable laptop. how much was it?

i like gateway, unlike HP and other big brands they don't stick loads of their own little programs that clutter the thing up.

True dat. My grandpa got my grandma a gateway laptop a while back, and I was amazed at the fact that they not only gave you a restore disk (unlike HP where you have to make your own, and the program cocks it up, and then they won't send you the bloody things ><), but they actually gave 2, one that's their version, and then a vanilla vista disk.

Archived