Home

Since getting the Release Candidate of Windows 7 back in May I can't recall a single crashed, stalled, or frozen program, ever... EVER. Not a virus, not an error, not a bug, nothing. Every game has run perfectly*. Sins of a Solar Empire, Half-life 2, CS:S, Far Cry 2, etc.

* Okay, except for one thing... for absolutely no particular reason, Sims 3 crashes a lot. I mean, every other PC game under the sun: No issues at all. But Sims 3? It's uncommon for it to play for more than 2 hours without a crash.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Windows 7 is awesome...

Yeah Windows 7 is pretty awesome, only time I got a BSOD is when I found out Linksys's Vista driver for my wireless network card doesn't work and so I just had to use XP's one.

And Sims 3 works fine for me (when I actually play it anyway), not sure if I've played for more than 3 hourz but whenever I've played its never crashed.

I, too, just realized that I've never received a BSOD under Windows 7. Occassionally I'll get a crash when I'm working in photoshop or lightroom, but typically that's because the files I've got open are 600+mb and it's just too taxing on my system without a break... but xp did the exact same thing, more often.

Technically I've gotten 2 BSODs since last year on XP64, both involving me fiddling with hardware when I shouldn't. Aside from that I have never had any trouble at all with anything, including viruses. Stability is not an issue at all, nor is security. The same goes for the copy of XP on my netbook. It Just Works. Are there any significant improvements (i.e., usability, convenience, etc) that would make me care about 7?

7 completely supersedes Vista and XP; there's no question about that. What is irksome is the fact that there aren't any hugely essential changes from Vista to 7, minus XP Mode and further hardware support and process optimization. As much as I don't like bringing Apple into this, it's comparable to the relations of 10.5 and 10.6, although with Apple it's much cheaper to upgrade than it is with Microsoft.

Again, while I feel that 7 is the best thing to come out of Microsoft in years, it's more of a "finally" moment compared to other modern OSs.

I got windows 7 professional 64bit for free. I'd been using ultimate 7 64bit for a few months but it wasnt a valid copy and kept bugging me, so I just "downgraded" to professional. Had to reformat, but I had all my crap backed up anyway. I'm SO happy I never have to use vista ever again ever.

EDIT: Funny story actually, I installed professional just fine until the PC started bluescreening before the install was even done, so I was pissed and worried that for some reason the final release of windows 7 was not very compatible with my laptop.

Turns out burning CDs and DVDs on a heavily overclocked computer is never a good idea and results in faulty disks. So in the process I made myself a windows 7 install USB key..

EDIT2: I love MSDNAA

7 completely supersedes Vista and XP; there's no question about that. What is irksome is the fact that there aren't any hugely essential changes from Vista to 7, minus XP Mode and further hardware support and process optimization. As much as I don't like bringing Apple into this, it's comparable to the relations of 10.5 and 10.6, although with Apple it's much cheaper to upgrade than it is with Microsoft.

Again, while I feel that 7 is the best thing to come out of Microsoft in years, it's more of a "finally" moment compared to other modern OSs.

That's why most people are eligible for a free upgrade from Vista to 7. Although to be honest, I think the price to upgrade to 7 from Vista would be worth it, although I upgraded from XP and I got my copy of 7 for free, so uh...

To add what Tie said about its stability compared to vista I can pretty much entirely agree, any actual problem I've had was actually my doing. I tried installing Vista 64bit on this laptop, but half the actual 64 bit drivers wouldnt work. I'm using the 64 bit windows 7 right now, and every single driver that didnt work now does, without ANY issues.

Battery life has also shot up around 30min-1hour depending on use.

Has anyone tried windows xp mode? I'm not too impressed....seems kinda slow to me

To add what Tie said about its stability compared to vista I can pretty much entirely agree, any actual problem I've had was actually my doing. I tried installing Vista 64bit on this laptop, but half the actual 64 bit drivers wouldnt work. I'm using the 64 bit windows 7 right now, and every single driver that didnt work now does, without ANY issues.

Battery life has also shot up around 30min-1hour depending on use.

Has anyone tried windows xp mode? I'm not too impressed....seems kinda slow to me

I tried xp mode once or twice. It seemed "alright", but didn't help me at all. I was trying to get KotOR installed again, and for some reason it wasn't working in Windows 7 so I figured it was a compatibility error and tried it in xp mode. No dice.

Then, the second time I tried it was to see if I could get an old Wacom tablet of mine working. Supposedly they stopped offering support after xp, but I still wasn't able to get the drivers to work, even in xp mode. So yes, I was a bit disappointed in that respect.

13786.jpg

I had this game pre-ordered and paid off because I played it at the Manager's conference and It was a lot of fun.

I am happy to say that this is a game that unlike Fallout 3, this plays like a straight forward FPS game, with many RPG elements of leveling up. The best way I can describe it is that it is like Red Faction Guerrilla meets Bioshock. In other words, you run through the wasteland accepting quests, but all of the bad guys that you kill drop many, many pick ups that can make you level up.

This is my no means a game of the year contender but it IS the perfect game to tide you over until Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 comes out. Average podcast says it takes about 55 hours to beat all of the quests and main game itself. Average online review gives it an 8.5 out of 10.

As of this post, it is currently sold out in my store, as well as all my neighbor stores. That says something.

Today I participated in my first ever speech and debate tournement.

Basics - I placed, got ranked fourth our of 17 prose/poetry participants. My school had 3 in the top 6 for my category.

Speech talk- Got a lot of good comments, and went 2-3-1. We had the champ in SC, DI, IX, USX, and IMP. Took Second in HI, OO, and PP, and third in DUO and OI. So basically with those stats, my school got Sweeps too. Way to go us!

Speech talk- Got a lot of good comments, and went 2-3-1. We had the champ in SC, DI, IX, USX, and IMP. Took Second in HI, OO, and PP, and third in DUO and OI. So basically with those stats, my school got Sweeps too. Way to go us!

What the hell just happened here?

Bad thing: Our landlord no longer wants to rent, he wants to sell. And seeing as we are not interested in buying, this means we now have to find someplace else to live within the next month or two.

Good things: With myself hopefully getting that Target job and my mom hopefully getting a job too (she has an interview at Sears in a few weeks) we should be able to afford a new place rather easily.

My friend also is finally fed up with his room-mate (AKA drunk f***stick of a brother) and gave me a call tonight asking if he could move in. Initially it might suck (his job is literally across the f***in city) however he said he'll kick in whatever he needs to and will apply to the target I did since they said they're really short staffed and elsewhere around here.

So yeah, f***in weird day, but all in all it will work out fan-damn-tasticly.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I also scored Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit edition. It's very nice.

What state are you from? O.o Here in Illinois there are DI, HI, DDA, HDA, OO, OC, OD (AKA Dec), PR, PO (AKA VR/Verse), RS, ES, IS (IMP), and SOS. The, in the State Run, there's PIR and IDA. This year they also added Informative. No idea what it's called since "IS" is already taken.

And hey! 2-3-1 is pretty good! Was it a novice tourney? I was known on our team for having very... controversial pieces. It was common for me to go 1-5-1 or 1-1-6 on a pretty regular basis. *sigh*

I miss Speech!

What state are you from? O.o Here in Illinois there are DI, HI, DDA, HDA, OO, OC, OD (AKA Dec), PR, PO (AKA VR/Verse), RS, ES, IS (IMP), and SOS. The, in the State Run, there's PIR and IDA. This year they also added Informative. No idea what it's called since "IS" is already taken.

And hey! 2-3-1 is pretty good! Was it a novice tourney? I was known on our team for having very... controversial pieces. It was common for me to go 1-5-1 or 1-1-6 on a pretty regular basis. *sigh*

I miss Speech!

Ohio. Those are ten catagories we have here. Although the catagory I have isn't recognised by NFL, I'm already halfway to a membership! Hot damn!

Mm. Thanks. I know the girl who took 3rd went 4-1-1, and I never hit her. And yeah, it was novice.

Archived