Home

68 degrees in a house is pretty typical here in the Chicago region xD

In other news, my parents, who lived in the Philippines for twenty years, were going on about how it was going to be "so nice out today!" so we should turn off the A/C and open all the windows! I, of course, decided they were crazy and kept my door shut and fired up my Vornados. The rest of the house was freaking 82 degrees. They're insane.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4734619346_16fe972006_b.jpg

Link

My older brother, younger sister, and I went shooting to good old fashioned way... going out to the middle of nowhere.

This is now her Facebook profile image.

*Also, if anyone saw it, I posted this in the wrong thread for some reason, meh.

Shot that thing, fun one. A 60 year old bolt-action .22. Some unidentifiable .30-06 sniper rifle (blam!) that was probably a service rifle in the Korean War. And a Winchester Model 1886 .32 cal that hurts like hell firing thanks to its pointed, steel cover rifle butt.

In other news, my parents, who lived in the Philippines for twenty years, were going on about how it was going to be "so nice out today!" so we should turn off the A/C and open all the windows! I, of course, decided they were crazy and kept my door shut and fired up my Vornados. The rest of the house was freaking 82 degrees. They're insane.

assuming your parents are white, how the hell did they survive two decades there without being turned into giant bug bites? I lived there for four and even though I looked the same as everyone else, the mosquitoes could tell I was american, so they always bit me first, goddamn vampires

The Renn faire kinda sucked. I can post pics but there weren't anyone there willing to look skimpy...not picture worthy anyways.

I am envious of a friend who got herself a blue-violet laser pointer from thinkgeek. Like what you'll see in the pic:

b847_blue_violet_laser_pointer_crystal.jpg

Now I want an indigo blu-ray laser diode.

moved into a new apartment yesterday, using unsecured wifi from some neighbor, getting internet and cable next weekend

When you have your internet, secure theirs. If it is unencrypted you can bet the router username:password is admin:admin.

How you take this statement is up to you, you can either assume I am talking about telling them that it is unencrypted ans showing them how to set it up, or you can assume I'm talking about locking them out of it remotely.

I hated how our neighbors wireless was unsecured at our old place...until our internet went out because we forgot to pay it and used her connection to pay our bill...then I loved how our neighbors wireless was unsecured at our old place :p

assuming your parents are white, how the hell did they survive two decades there without being turned into giant bug bites? I lived there for four and even though I looked the same as everyone else, the mosquitoes could tell I was american, so they always bit me first, goddamn vampires

Well, before they lived in the Philippines they lived in the jungle in Mexico, and the bugs there blow the Philippines out of the water. There were freaking ant stampedes where you could literally FEEL the ground rumbling from all the ants coming. They tell stories of how they'd get on tables and chairs and ladders and just spray any swarm that came close. So its possible they saw the Philippines as a relief in that sense.

But as for the mosquitoes, I don't really know. I think they just learned to put up with it, or they wore long-sleeved clothing (which sucks for the heat/humidity, but works against bugs). Or they're just like me and never really had issues with mosquitoes in the first place.

Bought a Sony Vaio Laptop, F-Series.

i7 1.73GHz

6 GB RAM

640 GB HDD

Blu-Ray Player, DVD +/- RW

NVidia graphics card, w/ 1GB VRAM

Big ass screen... backlit keyboard

Cost a pretty penny... but it's my b-day, and I wants it my precious...

:joy:

^^^Had a vaio myself. Then a virus caused a memory leak until it destroyed the hard drive...and one thing just lead to some other crap...

Some sweet memories with that darn laptop, though.

Do yourself a favor, don't trust symantec to keep you safe.

Gave up on Norton years ago...

Troubleshooting a wireless issue this morning. This old laptop is connecting fine... so it must be something in the new machine.

^^^Had a vaio myself. Then a virus caused a memory leak until it destroyed the hard drive...and one thing just lead to some other crap...

Some sweet memories with that darn laptop, though.

Do yourself a favor, don't trust symantec to keep you safe.

Who would EVER trust Symantec? Icky.

Before I head home. Here's the connection I get in the Digital Art Lab at my college.

866043927.png

In-city. This one made my eyebrows spasm.

866045662.png

Seattle to New York City.

I decided to test it out after I let the iMac I was on update itself. Kinda made me go "wait, what?" when it finished downloading a 400mb update in around 12 seconds.

Edit:

Here is at home

866086225.png

From 12 miles away.

866086899.png

To NYC

I want what they've got. :V

Gave up on Norton years ago...
Smart. I ****ing hate them.

Troubleshooting a wireless issue this morning. This old laptop is connecting fine... so it must be something in the new machine.

Best of luck with whatever the issue. Actually my mother's computer (HP I think) took forever to realize the wireless stuff is as it's supposed to be. It tweaked out all the time at the netgear stuff. Fine now. Not sure what all she did to make it work right, but now it has no problem.

Who would EVER trust Symantec? Icky.

I trusted them in '03-04 as part of the package deal when they were still a big name and were believed to be good. What a fool I was.

Biggest. Computer. Mistake. Ever.

Bright side: At least you and everyone else knows how ****ty Symantec is.

Well... I only ever ran the anti-virus... but my main thing was paying for virus def. update subscriptions every 12 months. AVG is free for as long as you use the program... and I've never seen any evidence that Norton was ever any better at detecting and removing viruses than the free alternatives.

But the other thing was: Everyone I knew who ran the full Norton security suite complained about how much it slowed and bogged their new, super-spec computers down. Thanks, but no thanks...

After rebooting the comp, modem, and the wireless router, I haven't had a problem since.

^Cool. Yeah thanks. Not sure what the heck this security suite is called, or doing for that matter other than taking up space.

@ edlib: Yup. That about sums up my experience, if only a smidgen more primitive than that.

Well I just bought a pair of compact 200 Watt Pyle brand "blue label" Tri Channel speakers. For $5. (Just the plain bare speakers, mind you.) I'm stoked. Now if only my workbench weren't so buried.

Archived