Home

I got this in the mail yesterday. I forgot it was coming out this month.

wmfh.jpg

It's about 1,000 pages and like 2 inches thick.

If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you should. And then read The Wise Man's Fear. They're both damn good books.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-ordered this:

White_box_EN-US.png

Also, bought/received these recently.

The Low Anthem - Smart Flesh (CD and vinyl)

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
smart_flesh_cover_rgb%20copy_20110104_170529.jpg

Porcupine Tree - Signify

51tYBgAk-rL._SS500_.jpg

Porcupine Tree - Recordings (vinyl)

516CwMsO6pL._SS400_.jpg

Blackfield - Blackfield (vinyl)

51NZTKF50RL._SS500_.jpg

Blackfield - Blackfield II

51zOx1G8QKL._SS500_.jpg

Blackfield - Welcome to my DNA (CD and vinyl)

516XCqBF-yL._SS400_.jpg

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

51XKPU82wNL._SS500_.jpg

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

510cBOFpcdL._SS500_.jpg

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

51QYJWPa3vL._SS500_.jpg

I am quite content. :D

microsoft-xbox-360-4gb-console-black-angleimage-320w.jpg

So I realize I am the last one to get on the boat with this damn system upgrade.

Two things holding me back. 1. Other than the noisy fan, my whitebox was working fine. 2. Could not get **** for credit if I traded my whitebox in.

My buddy who runs the store down the street from me, won a contest and all the employees in the store won 4GB Kinect Bundles. However, since they all already had systems, they traded them in for store credit. My store used the opportunity to upgrade our systems...

GameStop was finally offering $100 credit on a wireless 360 system as long as you were a power up platinum member. Traded in LBP2, Halo Reach, Bulletstorm, and of course all my accessories for my old whitebox. After all was said and done I paid $34.43 out of my pocket for a 250GB hard drive.

I been trying to keep my upgrade down below $100. I figured this was my last chance. So basically I bought a never been used system, at a used price. I like the way it looks at sounds, but transferring the junk off my old hard drive, to the new hard drive, was a bigger pain in the ass than I bargained for.

Yeah, I got the new 360 250GB and Kinect when it came out as a bundle deal for the kids from Christmas, and transferring over all the stuff from the old harddrive via a flash drive was a pita, it took ages, and then you have to go on xbox.com and transfer over all the licences which takes ages too. It was worth is though, I do like the new xbox, looks good and it is quiet as hell, and now I don't have to worry about running out of space anymore.

Catching up with Legacy...

51bjgdLKGIL._SS500_.jpg

51p8NqaXpAL._SS500_.jpg

51C1q7cyFbL._SS500_.jpg

51-4bs7gv5L._SS500_.jpg

41oA0kx%2B9SL._SS500_.jpg

51cLYsNeUXL._SS500_.jpg

%7B33B47447-5752-479C-ABBC-623BD750ECFB%7DImg100.jpg

http://acdn-

Two things holding me back. 1. Other than the noisy fan, my whitebox was working fine. 2. Could not get **** for credit if I traded my whitebox in.

Are the whiteboxes worth getting? I really want a 360, but is it worth waiting to save up enough for the newer models? I also don't know if its worth getting one now or if I should just wait until these are more obsolete in a few years.

Are the whiteboxes worth getting? I really want a 360, but is it worth waiting to save up enough for the newer models? I also don't know if its worth getting one now or if I should just wait until these are more obsolete in a few years.

They all play the exact same library (sans Kinect) of games. I have an original PS3 and Xbox 360. I've never felt the need to get a slim (ie nerfed) PS3 or upgrade to a 360 with a bigger hard drive and built-in wireless n adapter.

Have not seen the kinects in action long enough to say anything--though my pal's dad got one and seems to be doing well enough for a guy in his 50's reliving his military days after work. The newer generations of white 360s and the elites seem less prone to the RROD problem.

If you should happen to get an older white one for super cheap or free as gift you may want to know:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-the-Red-Ring-of-Deathwithout-towels/

Also If the fans inside it are dying, replace only with exact ones. Otherwise the bios will pick up different fans consuming different power levels than set in bios and the console will be banned from XBL.

PS3...was awesome. Even slim. At least what little I played of it while my pal still had it before his now ex decided to steal it from him.

If this says anything about how good a PS3 is: She took the kids, the jewelry, and the PS3 little else. Left behind the kids' toys and care items and pretty much all the stuff she bought over their 7 year relationship. She owned 80% of what was in the house and a car.

They all play the exact same library (sans Kinect) of games. I have an original PS3 and Xbox 360. I've never felt the need to get a slim (ie nerfed) PS3 or upgrade to a 360 with a bigger hard drive and built-in wireless n adapter.

There is a false premise that everyone keeps falling for. Let me clarify.

1. The white box WILL play kinect games. You simply have to buy the kinect that comes with a power adapter. If you buy the stand alone Kinect bundle: kinect-bundle_original.jpg, you will have everything you need.

2. The new "slim" 360's have a dedicated port in the back which will power the kinect without a separate power adapter. After the upgrade, all this meant for me, was chucking the power adapter into the closet.

Also want to throw this out there. Kinect is a great time at parties, but on the downside, unless you want to spend your days and nights dancing and exercising until you drop... there is a rather poor selection of software for this thing. Right now I only found two games out of the dozen that launched that I like. The one it comes with Kinect Adventures, and Kinect Sports, which is basically Microsoft's version of Wii Sports. (but the bowling game is better...trust me!)

I would probably not purchase a Kinect right now. The only reason I have one, is because Microsoft gave GameStop managers one as a holiday gift this past Christmas. I am hanging on to it, and hoping they come up with something that isn't another spin off of Dance Freaking Central, or another gimmicky exercise game.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

I am quite content. :D

Y u no buy The Bedlam In Goliath D:

Those 4 albums receive constant rotation from me, especially Deloused and Bedlam.

• 2 weeks later...

Rented this one from work:

Yoostar2BoxArt.jpg

Not bad for a system devoid of new ideas. However, I have to say that the ability to post videos to your FaceBook is more trouble than it is worth.

The plus side, is you really get to pick the scenes, and just freestyle with them as I had hoped.

The scoring is based on timing of delivery of the lines, which is a bit punishable even for scenes depicting Arnold in a police station.

I would still recommend this joint as a good party game. Of course the Kinect Menu is still kinda bothersome here, but the selection is good, and the game is not terrible.

FORBIDDEN+PLANET.jpg

I know I have been ranting about this movie for many years on LF now, and I doubt any of you even give a crap.

Forbidden Planet is a sci-fi flick ahead of it's time in many, many ways.

In the case of the this Blu-Ray edition, it features a quite nifty documentary that includes: Stephen Speilberg, George Lucas, James Cameron, and Ridley Scott all talking about they're favorite sci-fi films as kids growing up. You should buy this movie for this reason alone. At $14.99 you get an amazing print of the movie, you get all the extra content, you even get an extra movie inside that includes Robbie The Robot who was the start of Forbidden Planet.

This movie inspired Star Trek, which Gene Roddenberry admitted. Just watch the film once, and judge later if you will.

ah, I've looked at "Why does E=mc^2" before, but never picked it up. You'll have to let me know if its any good.

Will do, although it might be a while. Reading Jonathan Strange first and the book is HUGE, 1000 pages long. O.o

Oh deer God I finally got my debit card replaced, after 28 days with no debit card. Know what that does to a human being? Makes him/her feel like a damn refugee, unable to order anything from the internet!

So I now that I am back on point. Today I bought:

05558122662833798416.jpg

And:

Man-with-No-Name-Trilogy-Blu-ray.jpg

Unavailable in stores. I currently only have The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Blu-Ray actually did these old films much justice especially in the surround sound department.

I heard it starts slow. I dunno, what it is about Crytek and sequels? Remember what a great game Far Cry was? Remember what a great game Far Cry 2 was? Yeah, me either...

Far Cry 2 was done directly by Ubisoft, Crytek had no role in developing it.

Sadly I thought it had the makings of a legitimately awesome game, but needed more sensible NPC respawns, as well as non-hostile NPCs and the option to bribe or negotiate ones way through some checkpoints. I guess I see it as similar to Assassin's Creed 1; an Ubisoft game with some really cool ideas, but with sloppy execution, that has the potential for an amazing sequel if those issues are addressed. Assassin's Creed got a sequel, which did this. Sadly, Far Cry 2 did not. The African setting is underused.

Crysis 2, on the other hand, is, from what I've played (the demo) and seen (other stuff), lacking in new and cool ideas, pulling back into safe, mediocre territory. It fails in an opposite (and IMO worse, though many would disagree) way to Far Cry 2.

Perhaps I just have some odd form of gaming masochism, because I actually kinda enjoyed FC2 despite its glaring flaws. Few other games have allowed me to destroy convoy trucks by leaving a car or two blocking a narrow point in a road, then as the convoy comes to a halt, pop out from behind a rock formation with a missile launcher, blow it up, and hightail it before the convoy's guards could react. Of course few other games made me clear out an enemy base, turn a corner, look back and see that everyone had respawned already...

Archived