Home

New video card. ASUS GTX570

14-121-432-TSS300W.jpg

Except it was too large for my ATX Mid tower case. (Antec Three Hundred)

So I have to send it back. :cry6:

*record scratch*

No, **** that noise. I had to get out the pliers and tin snips.

th_WP_000377.jpg th_WP_000378.jpg

th_WP_000379.jpg th_WP_000380.jpg

th_WP_000386.jpg th_WP_000388.jpg

Working out pretty well so far. I'm estimating around a 35-45% increase over my GTX460. On the same settings Crysis Warhead went from 25-32fps to 42-50fps. And in Shogun 2 the computer-chugging battles now stay up at reasonable levels, 30-35fps vs 18-24fps

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have got to be kidding me, that Antec 300 is not a small case, that GPU must be huge.

EDIT: Yep it is another 25mm longer than my GTX275, Looking at my case (Also an Antec 300) I am surprised you could not get it in without resorting to tin snips.

Hmm. Well, looking into the problems, it looked like my card suffers from some undetermined compatibilities issues. Some forums claim motherboard issues. I tried two different versions of nVidia drivers to no avail. Cleaning out drivers and making clean installs. Switching PCI-E slots. Checking BIOS settings. Nothing is working. It looks like it's actually defective.

Locked up in Just Cause 2 constantly. Crashed in BFBC2 a few times. Worked fine with Portal 2. Eventually suffered from underwhelming performance in Shogun 2. Worked pretty damn well with Crysis 2... until it gave some really weird graphical artifacts. If anything is a sign, it's that I played Crysis 2 for about 90 minutes any had zero problems. Then more recently these crazy artifacts started showing up... I imagine if I had the patience to put it back in it'd eventually go up in a poof of smoke. As a final nail in the coffin for this card, my GTX460 is running just fine with the same drivers running.

The first two times it crashed it would just not run anything that was hardware supported. Chrome, Firefox, any game... they'd all crash as soon as the started up.

Oh, and it also ran so hot that my CPU got warmer just by proximity. Seriously, it stayed quiet and all... but it was running at 69°C at some points... It rose my CPU's temp by a good 5°C. The top of the card felt like a toaster.

So, yeah. RMA time. This will only cost me $12 in shipping and about two weeks of time... Great... :<

So, yeah. RMA time. This will only cost me $12 in shipping and about two weeks of time... Great... :<

Where did you get it from? I can't believe they are making you pay to ship it back. The site I use (UK only), ebuyer.com just arranges for their courier to pick it up from you.

Where did you get it from? I can't believe they are making you pay to ship it back. The site I use (UK only), ebuyer.com just arranges for their courier to pick it up from you.

NewEgg... but hah. Couriers? Have you ever been to the States? Shipping takes like 3 weeks to get anywhere. Every ground shipment requires going through probably three mountain ranges and four canyons! In the UK you can probably take the bus to the website's distributor!

... Yeah... $12...

*le~sad* :'(

In the UK you can probably take the bus to the website's distributor!

You have clearly never used public transport in England... ;)

But yeah, I suppose the geographic differences make it more difficult for a distributor in the US to do returns like that.

Hmm. Well, looking into the problems, it looked like my card suffers from some undetermined compatibilities issues. Some forums claim motherboard issues. I tried two different versions of nVidia drivers to no avail. Cleaning out drivers and making clean installs. Switching PCI-E slots. Checking BIOS settings. Nothing is working. It looks like it's actually defective.

Locked up in Just Cause 2 constantly. Crashed in BFBC2 a few times. Worked fine with Portal 2. Eventually suffered from underwhelming performance in Shogun 2. Worked pretty damn well with Crysis 2... until it gave some really weird graphical artifacts. If anything is a sign, it's that I played Crysis 2 for about 90 minutes any had zero problems. Then more recently these crazy artifacts started showing up... I imagine if I had the patience to put it back in it'd eventually go up in a poof of smoke. As a final nail in the coffin for this card, my GTX460 is running just fine with the same drivers running.

The first two times it crashed it would just not run anything that was hardware supported. Chrome, Firefox, any game... they'd all crash as soon as the started up.

Oh, and it also ran so hot that my CPU got warmer just by proximity. Seriously, it stayed quiet and all... but it was running at 69°C at some points... It rose my CPU's temp by a good 5°C. The top of the card felt like a toaster.

if it's running that hot could the heat be behind all the issues? fiddling with the fan settings could remedy that if heat's the culprit.

Y'know. That was a point I didn't cover at first. The way it's designed, the heat sink is only attached to the four screws surrounding the GPU die. I felt like I was going to snap something if I handled it by the heat sink, it would creak a lot. Now, yes. Since Speedfan tends to lock my system up (I have no idea why), I only use it when I'm directly interested in the temperature of the card. So I didn't discover the super high temps until after a day or so of it being in the case. That's when I decided to install the ASUS cooling utilities... heh. Seems like the coolers on this card sort of demanded it.

After that, I was having severe issues with artifacting in Crysis 2, which IIRC is a sure sign of either overheating, stress from overclocking, or both. Since I didn't overclock, and this model is only 10mhz OC'd from the stock card, it must be physical failure brought on by severe heat.

But still, that doesn't explain the black screen I was always faced with in Window's safemode. Hell, if even the drivers were uninstalled (with intention to install them), it refused to load Windows. My nVidia drivers were a mess at that point, uninstalling and reinstalling them so many times, but I still got functionality when I plugged my GTX460 back in.

In the end, when I decided that the 570 needed to be RMA'd, I was back to the 460, but I still ran into one problem. After cleanly installing the latest nVidia drivers, they would stop working after a reboot. No hardware rendered programs (Firefox 4, IE9, Chrome all included) would run at all. Twice I uninstalled and reinstalled and was faced with the same issue: It would run fine after the installation reboot. But shutting down after that point, it would fail on load. (First sign was Win7's Aero being disabled).

So, I went to a restore point (seriously, I've only recently discovered the fool-proof-ed-ness of restore points, they work ****ing wonders) back in the middle of May (my system back-up was turned off the last two weeks). I was then back on my computer with January 2011 nVidia drivers and I'm back up to square one. For awhile I was fearing that this serious amount of mucking around with drivers would require an OS reset, but the system restore saved me there. But now I'm fearful of updating the drivers... I think the combination of new drivers and a damaged card nearly broke my system. I fear that updating to the new June drivers will mess up even my 460 at the moment.

Eh, what ever. I'll try to carefully update drivers in the next day or so and I'll see how that goes.

But now... for the replaced card I should be getting soon. ... I've got Arctic 5 thermal paste, would it be worth pulling the cooling unit from it to replace the thermal paste that comes with it? I highly doubt that it would void any sort of warranty, but would it be worth the time?

When the new card comes I'll definitely make sure that the temperatures stay good... there is a good probability that the card cooked itself / I cooked the card -- within the first few minutes of using it. If my memory serves me right, I believe the first game I played on it was Crysis 2, and that ran just fine for about 90 minutes. Then when I went on to BFBC2, it crashed the game twice and would not support any hardware rendering, as in, when I tried to start up Mirror's Edge, it crashed to desktop immediately. I never had a hard lock or BSOD with the card. Only crashes to desktop... would an overheating video card do that?

Infamous_2.png

Having a BLAST with Infamous 2!

Time_Crisis_Razing_Storm.png Been having a blast with Playstation Move. At least they understand us hard core gamers.

SonicsUltimateGenesisCollection.jpg

So part of the welcome back package Sony produced was a free month of Playstation plus. Included in that package, was Sonic The Hedgehog 2. I have fond memories of tearing that game up at my buddie's house since he had a Genesis and I only had a Super Nintendo. Good times dammit. So I bought this PS3 exclusive for those kick ass Sonic games. Yes, they are still fun to play!

Oh and also had some credit left over from my trades, so I picked up some oldies that were dirt cheap!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRfNJfwcRlAcK494w-noSUjZbSgosEYw3rW9bQ77mWa5slaUY-2

This is just God of War, but what is not to like about Conan?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVGtLLolXWXx-3LvcQOmn1n_WDOan614plLc6bzdO4-eOvipS3

Basically everything you ever loved about Dynasty Warriors. Hack up thousands of goblins, wash rinse, repeat.

microsoft_xb360_prey_xbox360_prey__00552_zoom.jpg

With the new Prey game coming out, I remember how much I loved the original. Right now it has a $2.99 price tag at the Gamestop

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZPM9ygyJDlh8aKNNskKLSQD6gzdkS_3a-mYmxKl8P2-zXY_fyGw

One of my all time favorite sandbox games.

havent posted in here for a very long time as i've been working my ass off in NYC and now back in australia i can now enjoy myself as i got paid recently i bought a whole pc rig

Gigabyte AM3 motherboard

4gig of ddr3 ram kingston

AMD phenom x4 overclocked to 3.8ghz from stock 2

radeon hd 6850 very great card.

Ticket's to new pirates film very great filim although it was long.

to TiE23 you made big mistake buying the gtx 570 they have problems overheating and other things. right now it performs better then my old core2quad so yeah and i started learning how to skateboard great fun now its off to play some bfbc2 :thmbup1:

to TiE23 you made big mistake buying the gtx 570 they have problems overheating and other things.

I have a 570 and it runs just fine.

right now it performs better then my old core2quad so yeah and i started learning how to skateboard great fun now its off to play some bfbc2 :thmbup1:

picardwat.jpg

well good for you i dident mean to offend anyone or something my freind had one and had to get it sent back into repair so he got the gtx580 instead by nvida as they were out. and my new AMD system kicks my core 2 quads ass big time. AMD better bring out bulldozer soon or i'll go build my self a sandy-bridge system. last thing i did actually buy was pepsi and a can of pringles

well i wanted to build a cheap system for pc exclusives as most games these are multi-platform and are just crappy ports on computer although i have many pc games i was looking for a cheap way to do a system and my parts are very good but im jus not looking for a intel system even though they are quicker but there more expensive and then i'd just build a gaming pc then and be broke :( but this way i can play pc exclusive games im not a console fanyboy it's just more pc games these days are ports i grew up with pc's and if you could own a powerful one back in the day you were considerd rich. pc's will always be my 1 gaming platform.

@TiE: I've not built my own computer yet (might be in the cards soon though). I'm afraid all I can offer you is my best guess based on past experiences fidgeting with hardware and micro/mini processors.

Y'know. That was a point I didn't cover at first. The way it's designed, the heat sink is only attached to the four screws surrounding the GPU die. I felt like I was going to snap something if I handled it by the heat sink, it would creak a lot.
Ehh, that kind of scares me. At the very least I would maybe tighten it down a bit more. And make absolutely sure the pressure is distributed evenly and firmly.

Now, yes. Since Speedfan tends to lock my system up (I have no idea why), I only use it when I'm directly interested in the temperature of the card. So I didn't discover the super high temps until after a day or so of it being in the case. That's when I decided to install the ASUS cooling utilities... heh. Seems like the coolers on this card sort of demanded it.

Just tossing ideas here, not sure if I'm being much help. Additional considerations couldn't hurt, though.

Probably asking some real dumb questions: what about your power supply? Are you near its maximum output with that graphics card onboard? My best guess relating purely to power and overheat would be on overdraw of current. Even within "working" ratings I'd still only consider 75% of full wattage capacity to be the absolute maximum safety margin for a supply.

Even if your supply isn't stressing out, an under-powered device might act erratic. Damage from that is possible, however frightfully unlikely in a computer I would think because there's usually safety features preventing that.

Otherwise I'd say comparability issues. I'm stumped.

Perhaps some other modification you might have made to your system prior?

*can't help, sorry*<snip>

So, I went to a restore point (seriously, I've only recently discovered the fool-proof-ed-ness of restore points, they work ****ing wonders) back in the middle of May (my system back-up was turned off the last two weeks). I was then back on my computer with January 2011 nVidia drivers and I'm back up to square one. For awhile I was fearing that this serious amount of mucking around with drivers would require an OS reset, but the system restore saved me there. But now I'm fearful of updating the drivers... I think the combination of new drivers and a damaged card nearly broke my system. I fear that updating to the new June drivers will mess up even my 460 at the moment.

As an engineer told me once: change only one thing at a time and test it each time. It may be tedious but you'll be glad you did. Cuts down confusion of troubleshooting when something stops working.

Eh, what ever. I'll try to carefully update drivers in the next day or so and I'll see how that goes.

But now... for the replaced card I should be getting soon. ... I've got Arctic 5 thermal paste, would it be worth pulling the cooling unit from it to replace the thermal paste that comes with it? I highly doubt that it would void any sort of warranty, but would it be worth the time?

Ehh, no. If you're getting a fresh new one, I'd say leave that alone. I was making the suggestion in the case of the old one if you weren't getting a replacement. See, I'm tenaciously persistent and tend to try *everything* I can (within reason of course) before I spend more money.

I'd try to figure out what is causing issues with the speedfan, though. And if possible I would do it *before* installing the replacement video card. Again, any modificaitons that might possibly be causing it? Maybe incompatibilities with your existing hardware if not your software?

Making sure that heatsink isn't creaky might serve you well, if you're comfortable gently slowly and incrementally adjusting screws to make sure of that. Then again as expensive as that thing is, it may already be full up optimum so I might think twice about that and only do it if I am next to positive something isn't kosher about it. If you experience something similar and warranty has run out, where the thing refuses to work as it did before, then you might consider the possibility the factory stock thermal paste may have dried up.

Still, screws and not a clamp or something? Really? Sounds chintzy.

When the new card comes I'll definitely make sure that the temperatures stay good... there is a good probability that the card cooked itself / I cooked the card -- within the first few minutes of using it. If my memory serves me right, I believe the first game I played on it was Crysis 2, and that ran just fine for about 90 minutes. Then when I went on to BFBC2, it crashed the game twice and would not support any hardware rendering, as in, when I tried to start up Mirror's Edge, it crashed to desktop immediately. I never had a hard lock or BSOD with the card. Only crashes to desktop... would an overheating video card do that?

I don't know. My only suggestion besides asking the company that made the part, is making only one modification at a time to simplify troubleshooting.

Best of luck.

*Big wall of helpful text*

Ah, okay. A few updates:

Installed the new drivers because Witcher 2 had serious performance issues without them. (275.33 for Win7 64) Running just fine on the 460, around 5 hours of gaming with them so far and nary a glitch, hang, or crash. No issues there.

Speedfan's lock-up has forum posts referring to it for years. Seems to be a common problem that causes hangs when it tries to access motherboard readouts and stuff. I'll look into finding updates for my BIOS if possible.

I'll be getting the replacement card tomorrow (Tuesday).

My PSU for the first time isn't an utter piece of crap. I actually went out and spent a little beyond my price range (I have a history of buying $30-50 PSUs). I've got a Corsair TX750v2. I doubt my PSU is at fault.

TiE23 mayby all that happend was a faulty card and GTA i cant believe you havent build your own pc rig yet nearly every pc gamer enthusisants builds their own pc you should get started on that goal nothing like cackling in glee as your led lit monster overclocked pc comes to life.

^^^Not from the ground up I haven't. Doesn't mean I haven't built golems from multiple cannibalized computers. *looks at storage shed*

@ TiE: Good to hear.

OH damn. Yea, no it's not power supply. (holy crap) I'm stumped then unless it was everything to do with the speedfan, or defective.

The BIOS was the issue with lockup?

GTA i know what you mean thats how i started out with my rigs brought a ****ty one then slowly modified it to be better then one day i found out it was cheaper to build your own system (slaps self in face") and have been building pc rigs since so far i've gone through 4 in the past 7 years

Archived