Home

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While I agree with this sentiment, I haven't had a single problem with my ASRock P67 Extreme4 motherboard. Maybe you just have s***ty luck TiE?

Yeah, key phrase "s***ty luck". After my month long computer clusterf**k my phone has been giving me tons of issues lately and I'll be looking into getting it replaced in the next week and hopefully for not-too-much money. It's a hardware problem and I figure it's 99% certain that it's due to "overheating", in that as soon as it gets even a tad warm it turns off.

Oh, but I did figure out how to fix this weird tint issue with my Dell U2711 monitor where the two left-and-right halves of the screen would change their tint very slightly after 10 minutes of use. Changing the color profile in the OSD fixed that, thankfully.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Heh, I've learned plenty from that sentiment. I've invested properly into nice CPU coolers, a cool running graphics card, a high quality PSU, a fast SSD for the OS, and a massive super-fancy monitor.

Funny thing is that the Gigabyte mobos are still only like $15-20 more than ASRock. Now, I had only made a wish-list on Newegg for parts for my brother to buy. When he was visiting he suddenly announced "okay, I'm about to click 'submit order'", after I had told him "let me do a double-double-double check before you buy stuff". I was about to stop him and give some time to review the choices, but I think I was busy with something else and just went "eh, alright, whatever". If I had the patience I probably would have gotten a nicer Gigabyte mobo... problem was I made the wishlist a couple of weeks before finding that the mobo was at fault -and- I rationalized that a problem that occurred on an AMD board wouldn't happen on an Intel board...

New stuff:

• My Kindle's screen broke but I got it replaced free of charge in just three days with an eight minute long phone call.
  • I went ahead and bought BF3 on Origin, and got Mass Effect 2 as a bonus for taking part in the Alpha (yeah, I was in it and that's all I'll say).
  • I get my paycheck in two days and I've been looking at Bastion and From Dust on Steam. And from the sounds of the heaps of praise it has gotten, may look into Frozen Synapse. Shogun 2 has gotten me into a strategy game tilted mood and it seems to be a real-time Metal Gear Ac!d, which I loved the **** out of, I probably played MGA2 more than Lumines on my PSP.
  • I bought a Torx screwdriver set to open up my HTC HD7 so I could replace the memory card.
  • I got a 32GB MicroSD card for around $50, but unfortunately didn't solve my freezing issues as I had hoped. Luckily I was able to modify the memory of my phone without breaking the warranty seal, so I'll just hold onto this card until I hopefully get a replacement.
  • I swapped my totally crap generic 2.0 desktop speakers with my simple 2.1 Logitech speakers I was using with my bedroom TV. So now my music and games no longer sound like crap coming from my computer. Now, they're still like four year old $40 speakers, but they're fantastic compared to the previous set.
  • I put two and two together and realized that my 720p Vizio TV in my bedroom was crappy and not being used because I hardly touch my 360 anymore. So I moved my 360 and my PS3 to play through HDMI onto my U2711 by sticking them under the bed next to the desk. I have to swap the HDMI cable between the two consoles, though.
  • I hit a jack-pot in terms of luck in media connections, though. I don't have to change around anything to get the HDMI's sound through to the computer speakers. I just used a male-to-male 3.5mm cable that is perfect length from the monitor's audio-out to the Logitech 2.1 speaker's controller where there is a line-in socket for music devices or whatever. So audio from both the PC and the PS3/360 can be pumped through the speakers.

Got some of my first vinyl albums. Pretty interesting experience, records. Made me realize how mind blowing the music browser on my phone could have been to people any time before 2001.

blusparaelsolrojo.jpg

tumblr_l2nmsxOB3l1qbaisg.jpg

tame_impala_innerspeaker-1.jpg

tumblr_lk8ybhIlff1qbepmy_1303799823_cover.jpg

album-45-33.jpg

onuag01.jpg

machinehead.jpg

cover-james_gang.jpg

And a sh**ty turntable that I regret buying already...

The one with the birds is "Mandala" by RX Bandits, btw.

pRS1-11008955w345.jpg

This game kicks ass on many levels. I would describe it as "Blade Runner" meets MGS, and Mass Effect 2. With FPS combat, a true duck and cover system that mirrors "Gears of War", and a straight RPS story system, which allows you to choose your dialogue as well as how you plan your missions. The story takes place in 2027. You play as Adam Jensen, who was kicked off of Police SWAT, over a bogus call, and hand picked to be the chief security officer of a corporate executive who deals in experimental robotic augmentation. After a black ops espionage goes south, facing death you are augmented with cybernetic arms, and the ability to see a heads up display through cybernetic sunglasses.

The game is pretty straight forward, and allows you to choose how you want to plot out any mission given to you. You can go in stealth, guns a blazing, or hack your way through computers. The AI is stellar, and the FPS gun play is similar to that of Mass Effect 2. Even the music echoes that of Vangelis' "Blade Runner" soundtrack. This game is just all about awesome!

I originally ordered the PS3 version, but due to a last minute customer issue, I traded my PS3 for 360, which was really no different from that of the PS3. In the augmented version, there is a bonus art book, and extra disc which contains a "making of" video, several trailers, and a downloadable soundtrack. So far I give this game a solid 90%!

halo_reach_collectors_3.jpg

Somebody actually traded this in.... According to GameStop it has no different value than that of the regular edition. So I snagged up this edition and returned my other copy. The codes were already used, but all of the swag is in tact. I am actually considering hunting down a legendary edition since I am on a hopeless Halo addiction at the moment!

Woot, the replacement RAM works, but I can't install Windows yet because I have to hop in a car for 8 hours to attend a relative's wedding.

@Groovy, did your store get that memo to open up new copies of Deus Ex and remove OnLive codes?

Only the PC version. Which we only had one of, and already sold...

• 1 month later...

icosotc350pxheaderimg.jpg

$25 at Best Buy right now... and maybe for one more day.

Dark-Souls-PS3.jpg

Played only around 3.5 hours so far but getting the hang of it already. I know I've already scratched the surface but I feel I'm more prepared than others who've never played Demon's Souls because I've spent some time with Monster Hunter on the PSP. So, woo!

• 5 weeks later...

Big update from the last month or so. I forgot a few things since my ICO/Dark Souls post.

turntable.jpg

Audio-technica LP60 Turntable

A solid turn table. I'm making it a habit to spin something once a day, which is important cause I've gotten so many more vinyls.

bf3.jpg

Battlefield 3

Because of course!

LogitechM510.jpg

Logitech M510

Nice mouse. Since I basically re-made my bedroom with a new desk and drawer set-up, everything modern and clean, my decade-old-designed Microsoft Intellipoint mouse was just providing a terrible eye sore. So I went with this and I'm liking it.

AltecLansingUHP326.jpg

Altec Lansing UHP326 Earbuds

I lost my previous pair... and I rarely lose stuff. So I went for slightly nicer ones, but honestly I can't tell the difference when, while from the same brand, are 250% the price of my previous set.

Speaker_System_Z623_hi_610x371.jpg

Logitech Z623 2.1 THX Speakers

Probably the nicest set of 2.1 computer speakers you can get, and they are nice. I run my turn table through this with RCA.

fire.jpg

Kindle Fire

I bit the money bullet and pre-ordered a Kindle Fire, because of course I'm going to get one, and luckily the day after I got it Amazon now reports a "4-7 day delay", which, by the time you may read this, will become longer.

stock.jpg

Knoxx Spec Ops Remington 870 Recoil Reducing Stock

Yeah, my uncle da cop is gonna give me the receiver of his old 870 shotgun, which means I've got to replace the stock, foreend (the pump-y bit), and the barrel. In a week, I'll be the proud owner of a 12 gauge. [/redneck]

barrel.jpg

Mossberg 18.5" 12ga Remington 870 smooth-bore barrel

I've fired a bunch of rifles. A few pistols. But only a 20ga shotgun. From my understanding an 18.5" barrel is gonna provide a pretty wide pattern... Now I need to buy shells and err... watermelons?

greenonions.jpg

Booker T. and the MGs - Green Onions 7" single

Sick song that everyone has heard before, even if they don't recognize the title.

The song:

burnrubber.jpg

The Gap Band - Burn Rubber On Me 7" single

Another funky song that I heard in DiRT 3 and dug a lot. Got it on eBay for just a few bucks.

The song:

innerExtra.jpg

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker Limited Edition (2 CD)

Love this album so much that when a version with a second CD of B-sides was around I had to have it... Even on CD! The B-sides are so good that I had to have them on vinyl as well...

Sample song, Alter Ego: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSropdYqtY (turn up your bass)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Tame Impala - Sundown Syndrome/Remember Me 7" single

Wonderful song and yes, I recommend it to you. You may like it.

perch.jpg

Maps & Atlases - Perch Patchwork 12" LP

While BongoBob may hate this album for bringing Maps & Atlases in a totally un-bad-ass musical direction; and initially convinced me as well to its suckage (if this song of theirs appeared in Rock Band people would be posting attempted FCs, it's pretty intense)- I ended up turning around on it and I'm now enjoying it a good deal.

Sample song, Living Decorations:

Steeple.jpg

Wolf People - Steeple 12" LP

If you played Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Vietnam, then you've heard and most likely dug this band, their song

was used as a loading song and it was pretty bad-ass.

Sample song, Tiny Circle:

Valient-Thorr-Immortalizer.jpg

Valient Thorr - Immortalizer 12" Double LP

Even though my musical tastes have become softer in the last year or so, I still have room in my heart for bat-**** stupid/crazy rock. This guys are nuts and they should never stop, ever.

Sample song, Red Flag (live):

1983.jpg

Flying Lotus - 1983 12" LP

I remember sitting on this album for months, I downloaded three Flying Lotus albums but just took forever before listening to it. Glad I did. Most of the songs need to listened to as a whole to enjoy, so going "hey, listen to this one" is sorta hard.

Sample song, Unexpected Delight:

cut-chemist-police.jpg

Cut Chemist - Sound of the Police 12" LP

Second album with no track listing to speak of other than "sides". I've listened to a tiny bit of Cut Chemist so it was a surprise to me to find out about this album. When I saw that it sampled Fela Kuti's "Water Get No Enemy" (afrobeat... if you played GTAIV you've heard him... if you bought the OST for it, it's on there, the song "Zombie") I just had to have it.

Early sample of Side A:

elegant.jpg

Al di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

It always seems that the earliest works of guitar virtuosos seem to be the best. I mean, look at Yngwie Malmsteen, past his original album, it's nothing but crap. Pretty great stuff. If you've ever listened to popular guitar duo sensation "Rodrigo y Gabriela" you'll probably really dig this.

Sample song, Mediterranean Sundance (epic acoustic):

Sample song, Race With Devil On Spanish Highway (epic guitar):

^^^How much? Friend of mine's laptop i5 processor burned up after just 1 year. He's looking for a good deal on something new. Nice specs.

In total came to a total of about 1500, I got it at that price with a special EPP which is sadly canadian only..

Even then though, you can get a pretty damn nice thinkpad for a respectable amount of money

• 2 weeks later...
Big update from the last month or so. I forgot a few things since my ICO/Dark Souls post.

turntable.jpg

Audio-technica LP60 Turntable

A solid turn table. I'm making it a habit to spin something once a day, which is important cause I've gotten so many more vinyls.

bf3.jpg

Battlefield 3

Because of course!

LogitechM510.jpg

Logitech M510

Nice mouse. Since I basically re-made my bedroom with a new desk and drawer set-up, everything modern and clean, my decade-old-designed Microsoft Intellipoint mouse was just providing a terrible eye sore. So I went with this and I'm liking it.

AltecLansingUHP326.jpg

Altec Lansing UHP326 Earbuds

I lost my previous pair... and I rarely lose stuff. So I went for slightly nicer ones, but honestly I can't tell the difference when, while from the same brand, are 250% the price of my previous set.

Speaker_System_Z623_hi_610x371.jpg

Logitech Z623 2.1 THX Speakers

Probably the nicest set of 2.1 computer speakers you can get, and they are nice. I run my turn table through this with RCA.

fire.jpg

Kindle Fire

I bit the money bullet and pre-ordered a Kindle Fire, because of course I'm going to get one, and luckily the day after I got it Amazon now reports a "4-7 day delay", which, by the time you may read this, will become longer.

stock.jpg

Knoxx Spec Ops Remington 870 Recoil Reducing Stock

Yeah, my uncle da cop is gonna give me the receiver of his old 870 shotgun, which means I've got to replace the stock, foreend (the pump-y bit), and the barrel. In a week, I'll be the proud owner of a 12 gauge. [/redneck]

barrel.jpg

Mossberg 18.5" 12ga Remington 870 smooth-bore barrel

I've fired a bunch of rifles. A few pistols. But only a 20ga shotgun. From my understanding an 18.5" barrel is gonna provide a pretty wide pattern... Now I need to buy shells and err... watermelons?

greenonions.jpg

Booker T. and the MGs - Green Onions 7" single

Sick song that everyone has heard before, even if they don't recognize the title.

The song:

burnrubber.jpg

The Gap Band - Burn Rubber On Me 7" single

Another funky song that I heard in DiRT 3 and dug a lot. Got it on eBay for just a few bucks.

The song:

innerExtra.jpg

Tame Impala - Innerspeaker Limited Edition (2 CD)

Love this album so much that when a version with a second CD of B-sides was around I had to have it... Even on CD! The B-sides are so good that I had to have them on vinyl as well...

Sample song, Alter Ego: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSropdYqtY (turn up your bass)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Tame Impala - Sundown Syndrome/Remember Me 7" single

Wonderful song and yes, I recommend it to you. You may like it.

perch.jpg

Maps & Atlases - Perch Patchwork 12" LP

While BongoBob may hate this album for bringing Maps & Atlases in a totally un-bad-ass musical direction; and initially convinced me as well to its suckage (if this song of theirs appeared in Rock Band people would be posting attempted FCs, it's pretty intense)- I ended up turning around on it and I'm now enjoying it a good deal.

Sample song, Living Decorations:

Steeple.jpg

Wolf People - Steeple 12" LP

If you played Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Vietnam, then you've heard and most likely dug this band, their song

was used as a loading song and it was pretty bad-ass.

Sample song, Tiny Circle:

Valient-Thorr-Immortalizer.jpg

Valient Thorr - Immortalizer 12" Double LP

Even though my musical tastes have become softer in the last year or so, I still have room in my heart for bat-**** stupid/crazy rock. This guys are nuts and they should never stop, ever.

Sample song, Red Flag (live):

1983.jpg

Flying Lotus - 1983 12" LP

I remember sitting on this album for months, I downloaded three Flying Lotus albums but just took forever before listening to it. Glad I did. Most of the songs need to listened to as a whole to enjoy, so going "hey, listen to this one" is sorta hard.

Sample song, Unexpected Delight:

cut-chemist-police.jpg

Cut Chemist - Sound of the Police 12" LP

Second album with no track listing to speak of other than "sides". I've listened to a tiny bit of Cut Chemist so it was a surprise to me to find out about this album. When I saw that it sampled Fela Kuti's "Water Get No Enemy" (afrobeat... if you played GTAIV you've heard him... if you bought the OST for it, it's on there, the song "Zombie") I just had to have it.

Early sample of Side A:

elegant.jpg

Al di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

It always seems that the earliest works of guitar virtuosos seem to be the best. I mean, look at Yngwie Malmsteen, past his original album, it's nothing but crap. Pretty great stuff. If you've ever listened to popular guitar duo sensation "Rodrigo y Gabriela" you'll probably really dig this.

Sample song, Mediterranean Sundance (epic acoustic):

Sample song, Race With Devil On Spanish Highway (epic guitar):

Something I have always wanted to ask you for years. Does money randomly fall out of your bum?

Something I have always wanted to ask you for years. Does money randomly fall out of your bum?

All of my cash is disposable, honestly.

And, uhhh... for new things?

• My uncle gave me the rest of the shotgun, a nice 4GB CF card, a spare Olympus FourThirds lens, and 50rnds of 12GA birdshot.
  • Plants vs Zombies for my Kindle Fire.
  • Bulletstorm, World of Good, and Dead Space 2 on Steam.
  • A $30 b/g/n wireless router so I can get good wifi in my room finally.
  • And the Kindle book "Mao's Great Famine"

As soon as I'm doing with my C++ class final on Tuesday I'm gonna be playing BF3's Return to Karkand, Shogun 2, Bulletstorm/Dead Space 2 until my face is blue. Oh, and finally buy Skyrim... it's been really hard maintaining my Elder Scrolls chastity.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived