Home

Servers...how are they are going to work?

WildmanHT

Howdy all

I couldnt find an answer to my question (well maybe there isnt one yet) which is how are the servers set up. Are there going to be official servers and player hosted ones? Ive seen threads on mods and stuff so Im guessing there will be player hosted ones but I was just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Trails

There will only be player hosted servers. If there were servers hosted by Pandemic and/or only Pandemic then the game would be more like an MMO like tFighterPilot mentioned. However, there's nothing wrong with most player hosted servers. You just go through the list and find the best one. Beats having to pay an online subscription fee. :)

Pandemic most definately need to invest in their own servers or give people the ability to open their own / run dedicated servers I will again refer to Unreal Tournament 2004 here. Their inbuilt server browser is amazing. It scans for all available servers of the selected gametype and you can choose the quickest pings, making for a wide and quality selection of all available options.

The interview on the German Battlefront website states that the game will rely on Gamespy as a server browser.

Ive never had experience with Gamespy, so I cant vouch for its reliability.

The single most important aspect that is critical to the success of this game is bringing the consumer to the action as flawlessly, effortlessly and easily as possible.

This is paramount.

Originally posted by MaximumMayhem

Pandemic most definately need to invest in their own servers or give people the ability to open their own / run dedicated servers I will again refer to Unreal Tournament 2004 here. Their inbuilt server browser is amazing. It scans for all available servers of the selected gametype and you can choose the quickest pings, making for a wide and quality selection of all available options.

The interview on the German Battlefront website states that the game will rely on Gamespy as a server browser.

Ive never had experience with Gamespy, so I cant vouch for its reliability.

The single most important aspect that is critical to the success of this game is bringing the consumer to the action as flawlessly, effortlessly and easily as possible.

This is paramount.

Doubtful Pandemic will run servers - they're a development company, not a game hosting company. Your UT2k4 metaphor is on target, at least for the PC versions. Expect to have an in-game server browser similar to UT, BF1942, BF:V, Quake, or any other multiplayer FPS. Gamespy's reliability will have nothing to do with it - their game server browser is integrated into the game, and the servers themselves will publish their presence to the Gamespy masters, for display to the clients.

With the server options in bf 1942/vietnam you could actually look for a particular server that you favor. I always edit out the ones that have less than 40 players as i want to be a part of the big, epic battles. Also, it's pretty much guaranteed that this game will be popular so expect to see at least 300 servers hosting this game, especially if it's as good as it's looking to be.

EA has over 200 servers that they maintain for BF:1942 alone. Granted they aren't moderated at all and as a result, friendly fire is off on all of them, making for a pretty goofy gameplay experience. However, my point is that it's not a MMO or RPG, and there are corporate-hosted servers.

Whether LucasArts does this or not hasn't been made clear. It shouldn't really matter, there will be plenty of user-sponsored and maintained servers to play on, just like BF. Typically you'll find that servers hosted by the top-calibur clans will have the best players populating them.

Gamespy sucks. It's a resource and memory hog. Typically games have in-game server browsers, but many of them just integrate the Gamespy technology, which is better than using the GS Arcade, but it's still slower than using All Seeing Eye to browse or just connecting through X-Fire.

I did ask the Pandemic guys at Comic-con if they were going to have servers for this game or only player servers and they basically said that there were going to be both types. (I don't know if that will change by release date though)

1. Public servers had no charge to play on them except for the XBox which will use Xbox Live and that's a pay service.

2. You can make your own servers but you have to buy another disk to make your server but you could have more than the "regular" player limit on a personal server. (I do not know if the personal servers will only be for PC players or for PS2 as well. They made me think that it will be for both but you have to use a PC for the server regardless)

I hope this helps with some of the questions.

The E.A. "Official" servers aren't actually run or operated by E.A.

There owned, run and operated by a company called s.c.i, or Supercomputer inc. out of Georgia.

E.a. just sets the price per slot as a franchise fee

This is also the same company that hosts "offcial" servers for A.A., Joint Ops, C.o.D., and a handfull of others.

I used to do cust. support for the b.f. servers on the side.

Biggest complaint was lack of f.t.p. access to load your own maps updates

And yea, gamespy is horrible.

Its nothin more than a 3rd paty server browser,that constantly scans your sys which adds to the lag, and a chat room. Since over the past few years most online games have come with their own server browser programs, it makes gamespot obsolete.

Some people swear by it, but its just one more program that runs in the background using resources.

I usually skip right past that part of the instalation.

I think that by using Gamespy software, the devs ment that they incopirated the browser into the game so you won't have to download extra programs like Arcade. I've seen this done in games AvP2 and it has an icon in the corner that says the browser is powered by GameSpy, I hope its like that. Similar to what battle.net does with there browser (you log in and you search for games).

Every Multiplayer concentrated FPS game will have official servers provided by different companies, perhaps made a deal with Lucas Arts or something. There's no way a player hosted servers can be as good as an actual server machine. So with 99% certainity there will be servers where you can play on without having to worry about lagg ( hopefully ) :cool:

I just hope they update the cheat block software in socom 2 it worked for ages any cheat systom under 3.1 couldn't be used wat happened Action Replay Max brought Evo edition wich was good but it was version 3.30 so loads of people buy it and start to us it on socom 2, which added to lag and more games that freeze for no reason and i don't want that to happen online sure people using it on single player is ok thats there problem but if they cum online and have infinite ammo or health or vehicle health and that would suck.

:deathstar this is wat happens when mess with the rebels :deathii:

Archived