Home

Servers...how are they are going to work?

WildmanHT

We know that Gemspy is involved, and we can only pray that it's integrated. Gamespy arcade is terrible.

I think it'd be cool if there were Official servers, then people could also make there own. I think it's going to be like America's army. Official servers, and some other servers, that aren't as good, and cost money.

Originally posted by JawaJoey

We know that Gemspy is involved, and we can only pray that it's integrated. Gamespy arcade is terrible.

I think it'd be cool if there were Official servers, then people could also make there own. I think it's going to be like America's army. Official servers, and some other servers, that aren't as good, and cost money.

Why would other servers cost money? Why wouldn't they be "as good"?

My BF servers run more players, with zero lag, on wide open connections, and play smoother than EA's own servers. And they're free. So I fail to see the logic behind your statement.

Players hosting their own servers? Sure, but maybe for 3-4 players. Almost all servers in games are hosted by hosting companies, your pc and connection cant handle 32 players. I've seen games where devs host games, but thats kinda "rare", not a standard at all. I'm sure there will be enough servers (without admin mods and with guns thank god)

WHAT??

About 15% of online FPS games are hosted by hosting companies. You should know what you are talking about before you toss out facts.

I'm not a hosting company. Nor are many others here who are going to run servers. For 3-4 players? LOL! You don't run servers off the client - you use a dedicated server to do that. Dedicated doesn't mean "owned by hosting company", it means you don't play on the same machine you run the server off of.

As for connections, I know many people who have the bandwidth to host from their home, however no person in their right mind would do that, because it's counter-productive to what you're trying to do in the first place.

Originally posted by frayedends

You should know what you are talking about before you toss out facts.

It is impossible for a simple home connection to have up to 32 players. With 2-4 players i did mean dedicative. The only difference is that once you close the game with client the server is gone as well. Speed is the same.

To have 32 players etc without a friction of lag requires special connections such as T1, and to my knowledge unless you're in a company network or next to a centrale, you can only dream of it.

If you suggest that only 15% is from companies, you wouldnt think that the other 85% are all servers run by normal games with T1?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Alegis

It is impossible for a simple home connection to have up to 32 players. With 2-4 players i did mean dedicative. The only difference is that once you close the game with client the server is gone as well. Speed is the same.

To have 32 players etc without a friction of lag requires special connections such as T1, and to my knowledge unless you're in a company network or next to a centrale, you can only dream of it.

If you suggest that only 15% is from companies, you wouldnt think that the other 85% are all servers run by normal games with T1?

Well, my DSL bandwidth at home is greater than T1 speed, and adds about 15ms of inherent latency into the circuit over that of an ordinary PtP T. Many home cable connections run with an uncapped upload, although this is steadily disappearing. We also don't have the netcode yet, so we can't reliably estimate bandwidth. For instance, a full 32 player BF1942 server runs an average of 2.2Mb/sec over the course of Gazala, while at 64 players it uses 5.1. Exponential increases. HL-based stuff used about half that. UT2k4 is somewhere inbetween. JK3/JA uses 480kbit/sec with 16 players. I don't see home users running many 32-slot boxes, but 12, 16, and 20-slot? Sure. Also ppl co-locating them at their offices, ISP's, and anywhere else they can steal bandwidth.

So until we get some data on throughput, we can only speculate on what it will take to run per playerslot.

Archived