Home

Now for something alittle different...

The Truthful Liar

I call it "The Tower". An psychadelically ominous map in a dark medieval slash modern-age setting.

Doesn't sound like something I could pull off eh?

Or does it...

4.jpg

Screens - Editor shots >

http://nrgteam.telefragged.com/staff/truthful/small/5.jpg

http://nrgteam.telefragged.com/staff/truthful/small/6.jpg

http://nrgteam.telefragged.com/staff/truthful/small/7.jpg

Screens - Ingame >

http://nrgteam.telefragged.com/staff/truthful/small/1.jpg

http://nrgteam.telefragged.com/staff/truthful/small/2.jpg

http://nrgteam.telefragged.com/staff/truthful/small/3.jpg

You'll soon see where the concept of a tower comes into this.

It seems to me that the whole JA scene has died down to an extreme low - to the point that mainly clan people play this game, is it so?

Let me know if this looks promising.

Hmm... The architecture and texturing are superb. We can expect no less from such an august mapper as you. However, for some reason they seem lifeless to me. Perhaps it's because of the surrealism. It's hard to imagine people out there, and the hard stone forms try to defy functionality.

But it's still a good map :cool:

Originally posted by GothiX

With alphaMod fog, you can save the effort, lag and lighting inconcistancy of a portal sky.

Could you go into more detail please? For such an old rustbucket like myself.

Are you saying that I shouldn't use a portal sky combined with fog? I'm thinking of adding a number of similar built towers as the on I'm working on, around the area... To simulate that it's not the only one and to give a more grand feeling of vastness and such.

With alphamod fog, you can get a seamless transition from fog to sky, which allows you to build multiple towers nearby, without obvious edges, or anything unrealistic. portal skies are only good for adding to the skyboix image itself, imo.

Looking back at those old screenshots, man those feel so mediocre and mild.

Updated pictures - be gentle.

So far I've added floating blocks above the patch structure, which gives off a nice effect. New glowing textures to enhance visibility and psychadelic feel. The floor is overkill, with the white I know but it still doesn't look half bad - will be fixing in next test run.

There will be 4 main areas to fight in.

The structure which I'm working on, apparently is for fighting in. Then the main tower in front of the archway - there will be two levels inside. The second tower on the left, which will have an upper outdoor section.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

An improvement, yes?

Originally posted by Lil Killa

It looks cooler but now you can't see anything....

You do make a point, working on that now...

And... Fixed!

Originally posted by lassev

I might be alone with my opinion, but somehow I liked better the temple look than the Las Vegas look...

Hmm, interesting - I value your opinion and will take it into account. I see what you mean by "Las Vegas" look. However I would like to know from other people what they think.

Originally posted by wedge2211

Groovy.

Man, oh man, I wish my computer would draw the stupid $*@# dynamic glow!

Damn. Well I'm not sure about keeping them after reading Lassev's post.

Cyan glow in map - Good thing or no?

Please comment, I'd like to hear more opinions about the new lights.

Originally posted by GothiX

Absolutely awesome skybox. <3

I agree with lasse though, it's a bit overkill.

Originally posted by lassev

The skybox is indeed magnificent!

I'm glad you seem to approve of the new skybox, however I will most likely have to nuke the cloudlayer (to much of a fps killer - 30~ average). We'll see in later production when the map is more complete.

Hmm...I'd like to see the cyan light thingies spread around more uniformly. Right now they're concentrated in one place...maybe reduce the density of them and add more in other places.

I hear you. :)

New screenshots, nothing extremely different. (800x600)

23_thumb.jpg

24_thumb.jpg

25_thumb.jpg

26_thumb.jpg

27_thumb.jpg

Mainly I've done alot of shader re-work (thanks GothicX) and proper hulling of the tower. Lowered compile times by a third and keeping framerapes to a 50-60~ average.

Ok I need some feedback... From everyone.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Abit of excessive creativity burst through me recently, I'm thinking of having (more elegant than what you see in the images, perhaps carved out) windows inside the tower. However the only catch is that (due to want of keeping framerates up at reasonable levels) the inside of the tower would be placed in another boxed area outside of the main map - and the main tower outside you see is just a "shell". The window gaps will not be visible from the outside (you would be able to see inside then).

Think of it as one of those psychadelic/magic things (as I'm trying to make it), and this map is no where near reality. I would like to know what you guys think of this idea though, and I'm also wondering if it could be annoying to include. (I do think it looks good, and also lights up the inside very nicely... Plus saves me time. :p)

Those walls are way too blank...I expect some crazy fine-tooling of the architecture! Maybe some rounded columns and arches, or more floating blocks?

And I still say that you should cut the arches out of this shot:

24_thumb.jpg

...especially when you have these floating-block arches.

25_thumb.jpg

And I still say that you should cut the arches out of this shot... especially when you have these floating-block arches.

Maybe add beams in the other shot, because the patchwork in the first is way too fvcking sexy to be removed.

EDIT: Truthful just told me that the blocks are actually moving, as they are func_bobbings.. I think that kind of justifies the arch with the patch beam.

Archived