Home

Cantina 6: PTH Part V Revenge (Discussion)

Admiral Odin

Originally posted by BattleDog

This is an Outer Rim Law (I made up). As you may have gathered in the Cantina Flax has been made dictator (King) for six months. Under certain circumstances a challenge to his right to rule might be brought. The challenger could ask for Trial by Personnal Combat or Tournument.

Obviously no-one is going to challenge a sword master like Taklin Flax. In the second case two armies draw up and fight a war using archaic weapons. In this instance Flax would Deploy his legions and call on his allies.

That sounds eerily like a Blade tradition which will probably come up later in the Cantina RPG (although PtH, while it will DEFINITELY have Blades in it, may not for a while) in which a Blade can challenge another's authority and jurisdiction through a tournament/duel.

Oh, I guess I should clarify why I was asking about Drago...

I'm going to be introducing K'Warra to PtH in this chapter (in a rather unusual fashion, and believe it or not, it is an intrinsic part of the plot, not just something I randomly threw in). Since Drago and K'Warra are both immortals, they have wildly clashing personalities, and they have a bad history (Mrear/Crisis), the inclusion of both of them in the same chapter, in the modern day, would be interesting...

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Admiral the Tournument of Martial Skills was what gave me the idea. To be honest I'm feeding off you a bit for inspiration.

You've brobably detected the Saxon/Viking Influence the culture I've created. There's also some Roman in there.

The Agamarian Culture, along with the local sector of the Outer Rim is based on England C900 A.D.

Flax would be more properly termed an Earl, he has power and land but he does not own all the Land he has aurthoriety over.

In oder to become King Flax would have to be elected by the Council of Lords. This has not happened in 15,000 years.

Also, all Agamarians have an obligation of military service based on the amount of Land they hold. The more wealthy they are the higher up the military food chain.

The Bowmen are generally tennants or manual labourers.

The Shieldwall are independant farmers.

The Militia are drawn from those in the cities with enough money to divert time to military training and to buy effective weapons and armour.

The House Gaurd are part of a Lord's household and are a standing army, trained from youth. As a point of interest the name "House Gaurd" was inspired by Huscarle variously translated as House Carl and Gaurd.

JM: The vikings. If your teacher says anything about them wearing horned helms hit him/her.

BD: :) If I can inspire you in another area don't have Hal wear a sword across his back. It is a pet pev of mine that people think swords are normaly worn across the back. This is not the case except for the Great Swords, Claymores, True-Two handers etc. In other words swords that cannot possible be worn at the side do to their large size.

Any sword that could be worn at the hip is worn at the hip. Reason: You cannot draw a blade over your shoulder (I say this from experience).

If you or anyone here is really interested in reading more about swords I direct you to this thread: Swordsmanship School

I have a couple post talking about length and classes of swords.

BD: I did notice the Saxon influence. Also noticed the Admiral influence. :)

My cultures tend to be a mishmash of a whole bunch of different cultural types rather than based on one or two. This might not be obvious since I haven't really done much more than hint at cultural details so far, but you will see alot more of that when I get to put the group in my dimension next thread.

[i did throw some stuff in Crisis, but it wasn't terribly detailed either, not to mention outdated since I placed it in my world's past.]

Admiral: I took the liberty of fixing your link, hope you don't mind. :)

BD: For reference this is a long sword.

3. Long Sword: This refers to swords that have a handle that will fit both hands, and has a long blade. The name was recorded in 1450, but most likely was used before then. A long sword length is usually 40-48 inches. Weight around 2 ½ to 3 ½. It is believed these swords were used as early as 1150.

I think you desire a Great Sword

5. Great Sword: These are even larger war swords, the term started also in the 1300s, evidence suggest that these swords were in use as early as 1180. These are not true two handed swords (those will be covered later). They weigh enough to require the use of both hands. Where a long sword could be used with a shield, and on a horse. These swords cannot be used with a shield and are a pure infantry weapon. Length is 44 to 53 inches. They weigh 3 to 4 pounds. Usually these swords have a fuller running down half the blade length and a rounded point. Great swords are most famous for the early Scottish claymore (The one William Wallace used in Braveheart).

No BD. A long sword's overall length (blade and hilt) is 40-48 inches, and only requires one hand.

From your description the overall length of Hal's sword is around 50 inches putting it out of the range of a long sword and into the range of a Great Sword. Also by saying that you can't use a shield with it implies that it requires both hands to use and as such falls out of the Long Sword category.

Okay, right I have it. Hal uses a Great Sword. All my other Agamarians use Longswords. I have my visualizations's wrong.

The average sword used by mounted housgaurd and Flax is 44 inches long with a 36 inch blade. The Weapon can be used one or two handed. Hence Forth this will be known as a Gaurd's Sword.

The average weapon is around 34 inches long with a 28 inch blade. This will be known as a Common Sword. In future anyone confused must refer to this thread.

Hal's Sword is an examply of a weapon used by the Light Infantry and will be known as a Barbarian Sword.

Not to answer for BD, but definitive answer for that is difficult since no one really knows WHEN the Mrear world existed (where IIRC Drago was born), when it stopped existing, and when magic was "bound" in the galaxy/went away on its own/something else happened. (This as well has never really been clear.)

Archived