Home

Cave of John the Baptist Found

obi

He was a big christian religion guy, right?

Remembers me of that story about a cave they found, i believe near the black sea or something, that contained scrolls about Jesus and something about Jesus having gone all the way to India and stuff...

But those scrolls were never accepted by the big christian religious guys of today, so...

I will acquiesce to this being an important archaelogical and historical find.....but anything more than that it is not. After 2000 years(Christianity, less years for Islam, more for Judaism etc), you'd think the worlds mainstream (western) religions would have progressed in terms of acceptance, tolerance and social equality.......

save them sinners !

and Sithy, on behalf of the ppl of Japan, Im utterly disgusted !

mtfbwya

Interesting... I hope they don't blow this into another one of those "we found this so everything we've ever said about the Bible is true.."

Astro... dude, I'm going to argue that the reason Christianity hasn't "moderated" is because its followers believe it to be true. Now, if they're right, then they're absolutely right to carry out the Bible's commands and not to compromise. The issue isn't really whether or not people should moderate their beliefs in light of "modern culture" (after all, God's word is God's word regardless of the era) but rather whether or not the Bible is true. If it isn't, then there are no grounds for any Christian actions. If it is, then Christians would be amiss not to follow through on what the Bible teaches.

In reality, this holds true for every religion - the question is which is valid (and in this case I include atheism), not whether believers should hold true to the tenets of their beliefs until their beliefs are demonstrated to be false...

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

.....Now, if they're right, then they're absolutely right to carry out the Bible's commands and not to compromise.....

Interesting points Keralys :)

The only thing thats scares me is that historically, when people start steadfastly not compromising when it comes to points of religion, it ends up awful messy....... ever been to the Gaza Strip, West Bank.......?? In fact its the "we're not comprimising for anyone 'cause we're right" crowd in any of the aforementioned mainstream (western) religious groups that cause the darn most trouble for everyone else !(and I say that as a Muslim...) ...such people are called zealouts, or more appropriately, fanatics

mtfbwya

Originally posted by RoxStar

Cool. but I thought that Fatih was supposed to be blind?

Faith can be blind. But in my case, Faith is based on experiance. Experiances that I have had throughout life. But, that's for another time. ;)

What's really cool is that this may inspire people to actually read the Bible, not just pretend and say that it contridicts itself, etc. I hope it helps put a stop to things like that.

BTW, this thread wasn't intended as a religious debate topic. I forgot to add that in the first post. It's no different then finding dinosaur bones. (Well, to me it is, but you get the point)

Originally posted by RoxStar

*Children Shouting*

Tell us Mr. Obes! Tell Us!:p

Please dont encourage him Roxy :p .....like he said, he wasnt meaning this to be a religious debate, moreso the focus staying on the archaelogical and historical aspects of the find...... :D

mtfbwya

Ok, well, since you asked..... ;)

First there was the sterotypical healing of a lady that couldn't walk. Her muscles were twisted in a way that is hard to explain. Let's just say she was handicapped. My grandpa prayed for her, and then she started dancing around the church. Dancing. She walks fine today.

Then, there was the time that God told me to tell my pastor's wife she was going to have a son. I thought it was weird at the time, but I was obediant and told her. It turns out, she was praying for a healthy baby, because her previous child was a mis-carraige. (I didn't know this at the time) She was pregnant and didn't tell anyone, and it was only for about a week or two, so no one could tell yet. Turns out it was a baby boy. His name is Caleb and he's 3 years old, and he's the hyperist darn thing you'd ever lay eyes on.

Well, there is a ton more, but as I said, I wasn't even going to go into this in this thread, because it's about John's cave :p

Edit- Yea, basically what Astro just said :p

Well, regardless, it's an interesting historical and archaelogical find. And the early evidence does suggest similarity to John the Baptist, enough to warrant the conclusion that it was indeed him referred to. The long hair of the Nazarite sect, the beheading, and the feetwashing thing all kind of add up.

Thank you for not turning this into a religion v. anti-religion flamewar, everyone!

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Yes, you like blaming kids dont you, you *hate* kids, especially those poor pokemon and yu-gi kids :p

mtfbwya

Thats what I was referring too ;)

Lousy kids... killed my father and uh *kidnapped* my mother.

:xp:

Oh wow! They found the cave of one of the authors of the New Testament! Man, maybe I should rethink my faith...y'know, because discovering a cave is SUCH a landmark in the history. This means there HAS to be a God, I mean they found a cave where one of the primary worshippers spent his existance...man, I feel the light!

Yea, I'm not even gonna bother with the whole [/sarcasm] thing. I think I laid in on thick enough to where you can feel it over the internet...

Expand your Imagi-Nation

Originally posted by obi-wan13

Ok, well, since you asked..... ;)

First there was the sterotypical healing of a lady that couldn't walk. Her muscles were twisted in a way that is hard to explain. Let's just say she was handicapped. My grandpa prayed for her, and then she started dancing around the church. Dancing. She walks fine today.

Then, there was the time that God told me to tell my pastor's wife she was going to have a son. I thought it was weird at the time, but I was obediant and told her. It turns out, she was praying for a healthy baby, because her previous child was a mis-carraige. (I didn't know this at the time) She was pregnant and didn't tell anyone, and it was only for about a week or two, so no one could tell yet. Turns out it was a baby boy. His name is Caleb and he's 3 years old, and he's the hyperist darn thing you'd ever lay eyes on.

Thats awesome.

And this news is awesome too! Gotta show my parents!

Archived