Home

WIP: Homer Simpson

tFighterPilot

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi

Did you even get what I said? :confused:

I don't think he did there Hellfire. :p I think he means instead of having your viewport settings in perspective to Smooth+Highlights chance it to Facets+Highlights.

Now onto the body, 2 ways I see of doing it:

1. Lighter on the polys, use a box, shape it and form it, extrude for the arms, use another box for the legs, extrude for feet (shoes)

2. Use a sphere or spherical shape for his round body and use the blob with addons technique (not the best way to do it, but whatever you feel comfortable with)

Originally posted by Shady-D

PLZ! dont tell me you used meshsmooth!!! MESHSMOOTH IS EVIL!!!! EVIL I TELL YOU!!! you shouldnt use meshsmooth its noobie and wont work in jka, in case you dont use meshmotth lookin good,

Of course I used MeshSmooth, I stated it before. I started the head without MeshSmooth and then been told to add it.

What do you mean don't work in JA? It adds polygons, that simple.

I also once thought mesh smooth is evil, but then I learnt to control it instead of it controlling me.

Originally posted by Shady-D

PLZ! dont tell me you used meshsmooth!!! MESHSMOOTH IS EVIL!!!! EVIL I TELL YOU!!! you shouldnt use meshsmooth its noobie and wont work in jka, in case you dont use meshmotth lookin good,

................:rolleyes:

Do you even model?

I hope you do with an accusation like that but looking at you point I cant see how you could, meshsmooth is far from evil, if you are inexperienced it can get a little frustrating but it certainly is not evil, most modelers use it and, guess what.......

it has no affect on JA whatsoever!

It jsut makes a blocky flat edged arm for exemple made from a cylinder with 8 sides, look good so you don't have to use a cylinder with 24 sides.

:eek:

Whod a thunk it meshsmooth actually works in JA, man its not looking too noobie anymore is it?

Originally posted by Matt-Liell

Do you even model?

I hope you do with an accusation like that but looking at you point I cant see how you could, meshsmooth is far from evil, if you are inexperienced it can get a little frustrating but it certainly is not evil, most modelers use it and, guess what.......

it has no affect on JA whatsoever!

It jsut makes a blocky flat edged arm for exemple made from a cylinder with 8 sides, look good so you don't have to use a cylinder with 24 sides.

:eek:

Whod a thunk it meshsmooth actually works in JA, man its not looking too noobie anymore is it?

Thanks matt :D

Originally posted by Matt-Liell

Do you even model?

Dude i moddeled b4 you were even born, if not you must be a dinosaur or something, i moddeled for quake half life etc etc! so just stfu

Originally posted by Matt-Liell can't stand people who bug others about stuff they don't know s*** about

It is you my friend who is talkin s*** , okay sure i was wrong, meshsmooth does work but its for totaal noobies, hear im gonna qoute on Corto

Conversation with Corto

meshsmooth can't go out of 3dsmax

not as it is, but in the form of countless useless polygons

I tell you, If you wanna become a good low poly modeler, stay away from meshsmooth

there's no shortcut to leetness

I repeat, there's no shortcut to leetness

HAH ! pwned so just stfu if u dont know your stuff, i mean even a beginning moddeller shouldnt do it, cuz its easy and all, but if u wanna be noobie after more than a few years of moddeling be my guest, use meshsmooth all you want!, i dont care, just have a happy life, see ya

this is stupid, ppl can model in flat, in smooth and in balls if they want, so the one who must stfu is you Shady, Everyone can model as he wants so you dont have to come here and call someone a noob for using meshsmooth instead of cutting the polys manual, or didnt you know once you do the meshsmooth you can delete polys? :rolleyes:

:monkey4:

Reasons why you could use meshsmooth for low poly modeling:

Reasons why you shouldn't:

- it's cheap

- it adds useless polygons when you are working on a tight polygon budget.

- you loose control of your polygons, hence you loose control of the shape you looking for.

- the subdivision algorithms are not always good enough, and they usually subdivivide the polygons in a crazy fashion you cannot edit porperly later.

- it's cheap (did I say that already?)

Possible uses for meshsmooth:

- turn a med poly model into a high poly model with, sometimes, nasty results.

- can't think of any more.

Now now, make a thread with a poll to find out how many modelers use meshsmooth as a regular tool to make low polygon models. Those who don't use it must say it on the main thread too, so we can recognize them.

Btw TFP, I think you should scrap the model, and start again, using primitives to set the basic layout of Homer's body.

Try to imagine Homer as an assembly of primitive objects. Then start joining them and removing useless polygons.

When you're done, model the features and the details. Homer's shape is really basic, and it's a great model to learn modelling.

Let's get a few things straight. First of all, the polycount currently is 1222. Second of all, if I'd want to add detail, I can turn it into editable mesh after adding mesh smooth, thus getting complete control over the model. That won't be necessary since homer's shape is pretty much round. He's a cartoon, so he doesn't have a lot of detail. Why is it cheap? It's there for a reason. I believe every feture in 3D Studio Max is there for a reason and frankly, saying it's cheap is like saying that two sided lightsaber in multiplayer is cheap.

I know Shady and Corto have longer time experience than me, but I didn't start with modeling yesterday myself.

If I didn't care about your modelling, I would tell you "hey, nice Homer, keep up", but I would be lying. Notice that I'm not bringing down you methods for free. With every crit from me you'll get a modelling advice.

You and Lightninja know that better than anyone, since we worked together on a couple of things.

Meshsmooth is there for something, and I said what is it for, to turn mid poly models into hi poly models, and not always with good results.

The point of my anti-meshsmooth tendency is to get better in hadling polygons, edges and vertices, and not get used to meshsmooth to smooth out your models.

Ya I'm agreeing with tfighter on this one, for his model it is not newbish to use meshsmooth, and in many other cases I do not find it newbish if you have accuired a knowledge on how it works you can easily delete unwanted polys and get the results you need.

To Shady: I appologise then if you have modelled but you were kind of harsh on tfighter and noone messes with an old lf buddy. Plush your accusation was that it was

noobie
and that was it, it did not seem you had any other reason therefore I concluded that you did not model.

To Tfighter: And as for YOU:mad: ...... hows homer doing? :D

Archived