Home

Preview of New Movie Battles Build....

keshire

Movie Battles is closing on its demo release,

Team members and Beta testers have hammered

the heck out of the balancing.

Renegade has been hammering away at code.

Chairwalker has been modelling his life away.

I've been doing a few new animations here and

there.

And the next build of Movie Battles is nearing

completion.

anyways, head on over to the forums and voice

your thoughts. We welcome it.

http://www.moviebattles.com

shot0064.jpg

shot0066.jpg

shot0071.jpg

shot0098.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed to see that there are still a number of bugs in this version.

- The Droideka still has the Imperial Worker's death sound (this could have been fixed in a matter of minutes, so why was it not?).

- You're using the Jedi Outcast version of HapSlash's Stormtrooper!! HapSlash released a Jedi Academy version, so why was it not used?

- At least one weapon model lacks a muzzle_flash tag (I think the Westar pistol).

- Is the Clone Pistol supposed to sound like a DEMP 2 gun and print "...was electrocuted by..." (this could have been fixed in a matter of minutes)?

- Jedi and Sith seem overpowered. Energy weapons are reflected back, grenades are Force pushed back, and if you get knocked down from a push, you're guarenteed dead.

- Some of the models/skins in some classes don't make sense. Here's my suggestions:

* Imperial Officers, Swamptroopers, TIE Fighter Pilots, and Rebel Pilots aren't standard soldiers.

* Prisoners really shouldn't be heros.

* What about Imperial Navy Troopers (there's an Imperial Commando model from the Dark Forces mod), how about using them as another Soldier model?

* No Scout Troopers?

- More weapons would be nice. Here are my suggestions:

* How many Rebels other than heros did you see in the movies use E-11 blaster rifles? Rebels use the BlasTech DH-17 Blaster Pistol which is the Rebel's match for the Imperial E-11.

* If Imperials are only going to get one thermal detonator, why not give them a new thermal detonator model, ya know, like this?

* Stormtroopers and Rebel soldiers carry concussion grenades... how about implimenting concussion grenades for Soldiers to carry?

* Battle Droids should not be using E-11 blaster rifles. There's a Battle Droid blaster rifle here, so why not use it?

* Imperials really shouldn't use DL-44 pistols. What about giving them a pistol like this?

* HapSlash's improved E-11 model was not included with his improved Stormtrooper... why?

- There's a lack of trip mines and det packs. I think these explosives could play an important role in MovieBattles.

- A couple times the Droideka got a bug where you couldn't shoot until you respawned. As you could imagine that's a major bummer.

- Implimenting OJP holstering would be great.

- The lack of sounds for the Wookiee class leads me to believe that no testing was done before release.

Those things aside, keep up the good work! It's definantly a lot of fun to play. :)

I've checked out your SW realism mod and...

...my 25-stone fat man laughing at someone coming second place in a 100-metres sprint analogy is still pretty appropaite. In fact very appropiate ;)

You might as well say JKA would be a much more popular game if Raven hadn't messed up some of the multiplayer taunts on some characters. You comments are about that arbitary, meaningless and one-sided.

Not to say that some of what you've said isn't true or stuff we shouldn't have sorted, but you've chosen to totally focus on the 2% we didn't clean up rather than the 98% we did...

And a few of your comments - however - are in fact wrong or inacurate.

- There's a lack of trip mines and det packs. I think these explosives could play an important role in MovieBattles.

No, they shouldn't.

- The lack of sounds for the Wookiee class leads me to believe that no testing was done before release.

Again, wrong - on both counts.

- Jedi and Sith seem overpowered. Energy weapons are reflected back, grenades are Force pushed back, and if you get knocked down from a push, you're guarenteed dead.

Wrong again. You just don't know how to play the game... fact.

But thx for the feedback...

Guys - if you've ever seen someone lay into JKA with a bunch of pedantic crap - then please trust me, the above is just the same. I'd just ask you try it for yourself and make up your own mind...

If you want a more balanced view, go to the Movie Battles forums:

http://www.moviebattles.com/forums/?PHPSESSID=1c16f20e7897235702bde6dca6bac37c

Erm... What the HELL did I just read from Phunk? That was the most unwarranted response to constructive criticism I hope to ever see on these forums... Just... Ouch.

Have you even SEEN him play Phunk? If not, shut the hell up. Really, I'm not the biggest gunner fan around, but that was uncalled for.

In fact I have seen him play - so yes, I know his abilities as a gunner.

Oh, I've no doubt in base JKA Siege or other gametypes he's a good player. But in MB, he was making every rookie mistake in the book when playing against Jedi...

Movie Battles plays as a different game to any Base jka gametype. Many people who think they are good Base JKA players naturally assume they are going to be good when playing MB.

...again - a common mistake...

So no - I'm not just saying that because I feel like digging at him. I'm saying that because he's making a comment on the balance of the mod - and I'm pointing out that you need to know the tactics involved before saying the balance is wrong...

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

In fact I have seen him play - so yes, I know his abilities as a gunner.

Oh, I've no doubt in base JKA Siege or other gametypes he's a good player. But in MB, he was making every rookie mistake in the book when playing against Jedi...

So no - I'm not just saying that because I feel like digging at him. I'm saying that because he's making a comment on the balance of the mod - and I'm pointing out that you need to know the tactics involved before saying the balance is wrong...

Your first paragraph says otherwise... Wonderful side note.

And what mistakes? I'd be interested to know.

Either way, he's stating his opinion, and quite frankly he has a pretty damn solid record of having something resembling a cool head. I would suggest lowering your tone.

Originally posted by TK-8252

I'm disappointed to see that there are still a number of bugs in this version.

- The Droideka still has the Imperial Worker's death sound (this could have been fixed in a matter of minutes, so why was it not?).

- You're using the Jedi Outcast version of HapSlash's Stormtrooper!! HapSlash released a Jedi Academy version, so why was it not used?

- At least one weapon model lacks a muzzle_flash tag (I think the Westar pistol).

As far as I know we haven't changed anything to the Westar other that you have to buy upgrades for it to gain Secondary Fire. Unless it's that, it's a base error.

- Is the Clone Pistol supposed to sound like a DEMP 2 gun and print "...was electrocuted by..." (this could have been fixed in a matter of minutes)?

We've changed the way the CPistol works to making it shoot electrifying shots. We had freedom in this as it wasn't fired in the movies. For balancing this worked out better and let it in intentional.

Now, unless you just went in, played for a few mins and went out - this is not true. Their Mana represents how much they can block, get closer and your drain more. Once it's empty - everyshot get's thru their block and deals damage. Thermals do instant Mana depletion and teamwork is just about everywhere. So no, they are not overpowered.

Still don't believe me? Start a thread in our Community Forums and see the reactions of Veterans and New Players.

- Some of the models/skins in some classes don't make sense. Here's my suggestions:

* Imperial Officers, Swamptroopers, TIE Fighter Pilots, and Rebel Pilots aren't standard soldiers.

* Prisoners really shouldn't be heros.

* What about Imperial Navy Troopers (there's an Imperial Commando model from the Dark Forces mod), how about using them as another Soldier model?

* No Scout Troopers?

We didn't just about add every character we could in this build - we had time and size to think about. We chose what we could in the given amount of space we wanted to give out for now.

Although, they may not have been standard soldiers, they were fighters in the movies and pose a nice set of variety. Besides there is this option of allowing EU Models or should I say Movie-Realistic Models on the server or not and most people prefer, model-wise, to have the option rather than not to, even if they don't use them. 'Cause again, if you check the servers you'll see just about 90% of the soldiers being Stormies.

- More weapons would be nice. Here are my suggestions:

() New animations for the ARC Trooper and Super Battle Droids

() New Clone Rifle, Clone Pistol(s), Super Battle Droid Blaster Arm, Super Battle Droid Bash arm, Reverse Polarity Grenades, Rockets, FlameThrower, Westar-34(s) - erm....need more ?

And yes we have more in planning but implementing and balancing them in isn't as simple as 1 + 1.

* How many Rebels other than heros did you see in the movies use E-11 blaster rifles? Rebels use the BlasTech DH-17 Blaster Pistol which is the Rebel's match for the Imperial E-11.

While Movie-wise that is correct, gameplay wise that isn't. If I'm right on the Tantive IV scene the DH-17s looked more like puny pistols, than fast firing autos like E-11. Also, we've been in production and people have been waiting for so long for all the changes we have implemented, little things like that were irrelevant. Pistols are fun and rifle the autos in given situations, it still isn't an auto.

* If Imperials are only going to get one thermal detonator, why not give them a new thermal detonator model, ya know, like this?

A thermal is a thermal - you're the first one to actually complain about this. But we may consider this, if needed. But for now we have bigger things to go at.

* Stormtroopers and Rebel soldiers carry concussion grenades... how about implimenting concussion grenades for Soldiers to carry?

Unless I'm mistaken, soldiers never carried explosives actually. We only added those for balance - I could be wrong about this though. But after about a year being out - we haven't heard of anyone claiming that Soldiers had explosives.

* Battle Droids should not be using E-11 blaster rifles. There's a Battle Droid blaster rifle here, so why not use it?

For a weapon with a new model would mean a whole new weaponcharacter, just for looks we felt that was irrelevant. Besides, a fast firing blaster is a fast firing blaster, the Battledroids represent the same thing the Stormies represent - grunts in many, who die and have more coming back atcha. This is what they currently do in MBII, so the blaster can be forgiven.

* Imperials really shouldn't use DL-44 pistols. What about giving them a pistol like this?

Again, a weapon with a new model would mean a whole new weapon's character and would be especially meaningless just for looks.

Gameplay-wise and movie-wise they didn't fit in. We had given Heroes those in previous versions but it didn't work out well and didn't really add an interesting new aspect to the gameplay.

- A couple times the Droideka got a bug where you couldn't shoot until you respawned. As you could imagine that's a major bummer.

This is a new one - but we'll keep an eye out for it.

- Implimenting OJP holstering would be great.

Yeah, especially as it would require changing every model and not just the mere skin......too much trouble.

Unless your speakervolume was set to below your ratio of hearment - this is untrue.

Those things aside, keep up the good work! It's definantly a lot of fun to play. :)

And we'll keep at it, but please do invest more time in it before commenting. We're not just some new found mod - this has been fairly tested and in concept for months.

Originally posted by Lathain Valtiel

And what mistakes? I'd be interested to know.

Lemme tackle this one...

First of all:

Saberists (Jedi/Sith) have a limit to how much they can block - their Mana. You shoot or throw thermals at them and the impact will deplete their Mana. Once it's gone every shot will go straight in as DMG.

Secondly:

We have something called IDR - Increased Drain Range. Within this range your impact is way higher and more dangerous to a Saberist, as a counter your also very close to their Swing-Range.

Third:

Saberist have their Force Powers to aid them. I'll state the more visable one. Force Push knocks you down.....ONLY if you are not walking/crouching.

Fourth:

Your aiming ability decreased the more you move. Walking/crouching -> running -> jumping. Especially with powerfull weapons which have a low amount of clip, you'll waste most of your ammo rather than place most of your ammo.

You are a veteran Base JKA player, and yes I have seen u play....ungh. Made all the errors you can make as a newb - not being offensive, but laying out how not-good u played. Heading head-on into a Saberist is the worsed thing you could do in MBII - that's like screamin ''**** the Islam, I'm an American'' infront of Bin Laden.

Welcome to the world of Movie Battles II - but I asusme you've already underwent that by your claims. This is not Base JKA. The players say/know it, the ReadMe says it, the game says it. What more do you want ?

Let this help you on your way:

Our Website

Our in-depth Features Page

My Friend, the Blaster To direct even further.

Our Forums which have valuable information for you

We've gone through this so many times, we had expected more from someone with such a position you have (Moderator) to at least put some time in it, before replying. We're not trying to be offensive or dismay critisime, 'cause we admit where we are wrong.

RenegadeOfPhunk

Not to say that some of what you've said isn't true or stuff we shouldn't have sorted

But in return we do expect something well placed - rather than first impressions.

Dacks Zero, of the Movie Battles II Team

Thanks a lot for the rude reply, Phunk, great way of showing the community some support for their opinions. But I will accept your apology.

Now - I don't know where my mod got in this. But since you decided to bring it in here, I'll take the opportunity to say that everyone who's played my mod has loved it.

Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk

When you dedicate a great deal of time and effort into a project, it's hard to keep a cool head sometimes.

Yeah, but after you just openly attacked my mod (which BTW, I'm the only one who has actually contributed to my mod; I don't have a huge team of talented coders and modelers like MBII does), I'm not losing my temper about it.

As my suggestions have been immediately shot down, I'll say that I thought this was MovieBattles. I though a mod like this would mean battles that are just like in the movies with all the characters and weapons. I guess I was wrong.

Originally posted by Dack

While Movie-wise that is correct, gameplay wise that isn't. If I'm right on the Tantive IV scene the DH-17s looked more like puny pistols, than fast firing autos like E-11. Also, we've been in production and people have been waiting for so long for all the changes we have implemented, little things like that were irrelevant. Pistols are fun and rifle the autos in given situations, it still isn't an auto.

In the Star Wars universe, the DH-17 is far more powerful than a standard pistol. It's the match for the E-11. Infact, the DH-17 can be set to fire automatically just like the E-11.

() New animations for the ARC Trooper and Super Battle Droids

() New Clone Rifle, Clone Pistol(s), Super Battle Droid Blaster Arm, Super Battle Droid Bash arm, Reverse Polarity Grenades, Rockets, FlameThrower, Westar-34(s) - erm....need more ?

And yes we have more in planning but implementing and balancing them in isn't as simple as 1 + 1.

Technically, you didn't add new weapons. You replaced weapons.

Unless your speakervolume was set to below your ratio of hearment - this is untrue.

Now this I am absolutely sure of. The Wookiee uses the generic missing sounds ("Take that!"). I heard at least one other person in a server complain about this as well.

About the Jedi/Sith thing: after playing MBII for hours solid, I found that the ONLY effective weapon against Jedi/Sith is the DC-15 alt-fire. It's difficult to push back and it can knock them down. But you can only get a DC-15 rifle if you're on the Republic team, and the Clone Trooper or ARC Trooper class is available.

You said something about thermal detonators doing damage to a Jedi/Sith's Force pool... well guess what, only a completely clueless Jedi/Sith would not Force push it back (and Imperial Soldiers only get ONE thermal detonator, so if you miss, that's it). I've tried using thermal detonators on Jedi/Sith, but they are only Force pushed back to me, which is now rolling next to me ticking while I've been knocked down on the floor from the almighty Force push.

If you see an enemy Jedi or Sith coming your way - you turn and run. That's what I've gotten from this. You don't turn and run when you see a Droideka or a Hero, so why should Jedi/Sith be so god-like of a class? Sounds like unbalancing to me...

Take advice from the guys at Star Wars Battlefront: Jedi are too powerful to be a playable class.

This build was rushed. How do I know? Pahricida told me himself. Rushing anything is always a bad thing to do. When you rush you get Wookiees with a human male voice and Droidekas who scream like an Imperial Worker.

Originally posted by Dacks

We've gone through this so many times, we had expected more from someone with such a position you have (Moderator) to at least put some time in it, before replying. We're not trying to be offensive or dismay critisime, 'cause we admit where we are wrong.

Maybe you should say something like this to Phunk, considering the comments he just made without thinking, despite his position (MBII team). ;)

Maybe you should say something like this to Phunk, considering the comments he just made without thinking, despite his position (MBII team). ;)

RenegadeOfPhunk has already apologized for his reaction, the team, especially he, hasbeen under a lot of pressure the final days in getting everything up and ready for release. Eventhough that shouldn't have affected him, hearing the same thing again, just did it - I hope you can understand.

As my suggestions have been immediately shot down, I'll say that I thought this was MovieBattles. I though a mod like this would mean battles that are just like in the movies with all the characters and weapons.

The Mod tries to recreate the scenes shown in the movies, but doesn't try to re-enact them. Your suggestions haven't been shot, your claims have been, as shown in my replys we've taken them into consideration if granted. But model changes just for looks isn't really relevant. A blaster is a blaster, aslong as it's fun and in looks comes close to it.

Technically, you didn't add new weapons. You replaced weapons.

I'ma pull an Obi-Wan on ya: technically we did infact add weaponry, compared to the released base game and previous MB versions.

Now this I am absolutely sure of. The Wookiee uses the generic missing sounds ("Take that!").

Then it's just you two, as the rest of the community has no problem with sounds. Both the original and added Wookiee use their respective sounds and no other complained bout this has been reported.

I'm beginning to think this is something on your side.

About the Jedi/Sith thing: after playing MBII for hours solid, I found that the ONLY effective weapon against Jedi/Sith is the DC-15 alt-fire. It's difficult to push back and it can knock them down.

If you see an enemy Jedi or Sith coming your way - you turn and run. That's what I've gotten from this.

You said something about thermal detonators doing damage to a Jedi/Sith's Force pool... well guess what, only a completely clueless Jedi/Sith would not Force push it back. I've tried using thermal detonators on Jedi/Sith, but they are only Force pushed back to me, which is now rolling next to me ticking while I've been knocked down on the floor from the almighty Force push.

Thermal:

Throwing thermals requires tactics as you can't just simply throw a thermal towards a Saberist and expect it to be effective. You have to place them where they elast expect this. For further help on this, as this is clearly a matter of tactics and skill, I'll direct you to our Community Forums where skilled players will guide you along, if you want.

Knocked Down:

You can get knocked down by use of the Force or explosives, to counter both you can crouch or walk for the Force.

effective weaponry:

The closer you are the higher the drain, but the DC-15 is the most easiet weapon to do this, but has a lousy aim, the E-11 and Bowcaster have a better aim and are far more versatile - however this is all a matter of opinion. What I see by u is that u mostly gun as if it's Base. U jump and run around like Ja Rule in his videoclips. This gives you the worsest aim you can have, concentrate your fire and try to get close, yet not to close that u get sabered.

Saberist vs Gunner balance has been the main issue we've been adressing for all of these weeks and is the main reason why you see less Saberists on the server now. It's all a matter of tactics, but kepe watching how the skilled veterans play and learn from them.

Remember this is not Base JKA.

I see you're having a lot of trouble coping with the new play style, I'd advise you to gain some info or tactics from our skilled community over at our Community Forums.

I'll take this oppurtunity to post that Movie Battles II has hit a few News Sites - most notably Sky News has done an article containing a great deal of spotlight for Movie Battles II

I don't have a huge team of talented coders

I'm the sole coder on Movie Battles II. No big team of coders. Just me. If you had looked into the mod for more then 5 seconds, you would have known that...

I'm not losing my temper about it.

Yes - I agree I shouldn't have responded the way I did. I apologise again.

However, there are factors to take into account. One is that I seriously doubt you have put as much sheer working hours as I have on MB. No, I can't know that for sure of course, but the chances of it are so slim, they are barely worth mentioning.

I've already apologised for the tone I used, and will do so again. And yes - fair play to you and you have bettered me there, it's got to be said.

That doesn't mean that you made a fair appraisal of MB however, nor that I didn't have reason for complaint (Even though I could have handled it better). I won't apologise for my conclusion on your critique.

It is totally misrepresentive of the work that myself and the rest of the team (yes - it is a team effort. It has to be with a re-work this extensive) have put in.

But anyway - your entitled to your opinion of course, and let that be the end of it.

...however - as much as you think Movie Battles isn't worth that much, thankfully places like Sky News appear to think differently...

Originally posted by TK-8252

This build was rushed. How do I know? Pahricida told me himself. Rushing anything is always a bad thing to do. When you rush you get Wookiees with a human male voice and Droidekas who scream like an Imperial Worker.

Maybe you should say something like this to Phunk, considering the comments he just made without thinking, despite his position (MBII team). ;) [/b]

First of all, Pahricida may be in the Beta Team and has been doing some great stuff for us - he is not in the leading department and thus can't make comments like those. This build has not been rushed as we have been planning this for weeks and worked ourselves to that, but then again only the Leading Department knows this. When we announce this to the rest of the team later on, we've already put the plan in working.

But yah, you can go ahead and believe what he tells you....has he told you that Ren is a man yet ?

Further more, the Droideka is a vehicle, which we place you as a Imperial Worker in when u spawn. The sound issue is just something we never did, we always had bigger things that we wanted first, but will do in the next versions.

The Wookiee thing is still something that's on your side. Perhaps you can ask Pahricida.

Archived