Home

Preview of New Movie Battles Build....

keshire

It's odd that you guys fail to notice the praise that I gave you guys.

Originally posted by TK-8252

Those things aside, keep up the good work! It's definantly a lot of fun to play. :)

I'm not trying to attack or put down MBII.

I, a fellow modder, am offering constructive critisism and you have failed to recognize this. Oh well...

I'll take the opportunity to make a complaint about the MBII servers as well. There's only a few MBII servers, and the official MBII ones are full of complete and utter morons. It's hardly enjoyable when there's a troll who is complaining "WTF ALL STORMIES AND REBELS!!!!11" and then TK'ing you and shouting sexual slurs if you dare to choose a class that's not what they want you as. Or, if you are the last guy on the team and you fail, the next round you're in for some major TK'ing and sexual slurs. Vote-kicks should be OFF! Someone started a vote-kick to kick someone who dared to choose Droideka on the Tantive IV. Or, an ally comes around a corner and you let off one accidental shot which strikes them, the homophobic comments just flood out. Same goes for thermal detonators.

Why no administration on your servers?

Those things aside, keep up the good work! It's definantly a lot of fun to play.

Yes and I had thanked you for that in my first reply with a ''we'll keep at it''. It may have been overshadowed by the first reply of my Team, which again (this will be the last one though) I apologize for. We're not trying to shoot down any critisime we get, 'cause we know we're not perfect. But we are going to adress those that are wrong.

About the servers, there is little we can do. All of my Team has adminastration-access and will try to keep the servers as pleseant as we can, but this is undoubtly a problem which no one can fix. This is not only present on our servers, but in the whole gaming community. But as a fellow coder - you know this already....

This mod takes more time than just a few tries. We're not getting praise for nothing, we do have something here we wish to present to everyone. Hopefully this ruff start won't let you down.

Also, we'll be releasing a next batch of maps that couldn't make it into this release, separetely: One of them is Kamino (1)

Ah, I forgot to address something.

Originally posted by Dacks

Unless I'm mistaken, soldiers never carried explosives actually. We only added those for balance - I could be wrong about this though. But after about a year being out - we haven't heard of anyone claiming that Soldiers had explosives.

Thermal detonators and concussion grenades are quite common among ground forces. Stormtroopers have a thermal detonator right on the back of their belt. In Star Wars Battlefront, almost all units carry thermal detonators, and the Infantry units carry concussion grenades as well as thermal detonators. The official Star Wars website database says that Stormtroopers and Scout Troopers carry concussion grenades. There's a Star Wars playing card that shows a concussion grenade in the hand of a Rebel soldier on Hoth.

And Pahricida, I hope you know that undermining the censor violates LucasForums rules. :)

Are they shown in the movies, the Concussion Grenades, I mean. I know it´s common and the SW Database may say so, but I haven´t seen a pic of them holding one of those in the movies yet.

But Thermals do fine aswell, it´s not about totally re/enacting the scenes with every weapon they had. ;)

Supposedly every Stormtrooper has a "thermal detonator" strapped to his back (those little white cylinder things on the armor, described in official materials).

Actually, we DO see explosives used by ground forces. The trouble is we don't see the physical object before the explosion.

Ie: We see Leia's Thermal Detonator, but we don't see what it can do. In the games it's a simple grenade. In the EU it supposedly can destroy a small building. Then we have technical books saying there are variable yields (to explain the discrepency).

In ANH there are at least two instances of Imperial troops "blowing open" doors.

In some online discussions people have argued that this is just a testament to the awesome power of the E-11 rifle. Apparently it has an "explosive" setting for demolitions. This is unproven, and it might be possible, but I would rather assume that there is some other mechanism at work. After all these explosions are used against METAL (not some crumbly old rock formation or some wood) and we don't see a bunch of molten metal in the process (like when Qui Gon is melting through the Trade Federation blast doors with his saber).

Scene 1: While the Stormtroopers are boarding the Blockade Runner seeking the Death Star plans, we see the "door" to the ship start to "burn" around the edges with a sparkling effect. In other movies, it's commonly the effect of some kind of "sprayable" explosive or charges set to blow the door. After the spraying effect then the door explodes in fragments and then the enemy charges in.

Supposedly there are some behind the scenes shots showing Stormtroopers holding "blowtorches" (I guess the SW equivalent would be the fusion cutter), but none of these makes it into the film. I have not seen these shots myself. In the novelisation they make it appear as if the Troopers (IIRC) actually "melt their way through" the door, perhaps using only their blasters. Likewise Luke melts his way through the Princesses cell door (in the movie he just presses a button). Obviously in the movies we see explosive effects.

My theory is that an explosive charge was placed to blow the door (even if blasters or some kind of sprayable or wired explosives was used to "weaken" it, or perhaps a fusion cutter type of device). Likewise after the Princess is rescued, in the scene where Leia says "looks like you've managed to cut off our only escape route" (before the garbag masher scene) an elevator or other door is also blown up (no sparking this time). Again, I say an explosive device was used. It's possible that these troopers are carrying explosives with them, even if it's just the little "thermal detonator" on the belt.

Finally, there's the scene where the Lars farm is found destroyed by Luke in ANH. Now these Troopers are not standard troopers. They're carrying large backpacks and other equipment along with plenty of non-standard weapons (not just E-11's). So it's possible they had some kind of incendiary or other explosive devices. Obviously the Lars homestead isn't blown to bits, but it's possible they had small explosives to use here.

So, there is evidence of "explosive" use by ground troops in Star Wars, even if we don't directly see somebody whip out a grenade, say to the camera "this is a concussion grenade!" and then toss it, and we see the boom right afterward. But, we can piece together some of the evidence, and it seems to support the official and EU claims that they do carry explosives.

My 2 cents...

PS: Congrats on your mod's release. But it sounds like some legitimate issues have been raised. Constructive criticism should be taken in that spirit and hopefully be used to improve the mod. It sounds like some tweaking and small additions like that couldn't hurt. Likewise, proper administration of test servers should be a priority (granted it isn't always possible, but it helps a lot for publicity!).

TK, I used to be a MB2 tester and I am of course am to expect a lot of bugs and I was supposed to report them as well. I can honestly say I sucked at being a tester, not to mention I don't spend much time at my PC these days, I go out a lot.

What I'm trying to say is that the mod is in its Beta stage, and you must not expect to see everything perfectly done. If the mod ever reaches 1.0 there's no way they'll let you be a SBD on Tantive IV, or a Droideka on Jabbas Palace.

Well, I guess that we did add the Thermal Detonators to the Soldier class as a legitemate move-accurate Item then. Thanks for confirming that :)

What would be the main difference between Concussion Grenades and our implementation of the Reversed Polarity Grenades gameplay and affects wise ?

Our RPulses take away your current clip, knocks you back (immobilizes you) and does damage.

Our TDs simply do massive damage, can clear a whole room and knocks the enemy/ies to the ground for a longer timeperiod.

Eventhough it's Movie Battles, we're trying to only add new items that would significantly add something else to the game and currently we're seeing very little in adding another type of explosive weaponry.

We've finally gotten the game to having ''Blasting an opponent'' being the main favorite and other stuff helping you with that. We're trying not to go to the ''Throw first, shoot if not dead'' route. ;)

I've been playing MBII, and I find that the Droideka is a GREAT anti-Jedi class. So I've been using Droideka a lot more and gotten good with it, learned what the best combination of points for it are, and now I can take on a squad of Jedi and Clones without too much trouble. :D

Now the biggest struggle is finding a server that isn't full. :p

I've been playing MBII, and I find that the Droideka is a GREAT anti-Jedi class. So I've been using Droideka a lot more and gotten good with it, learned what the best combination of points for it are, and now I can take on a squad of Jedi and Clones without too much trouble. :D

That's what they do - you'll usually won't see more than 2 Dekas or so, dunno why :confused:

Now the biggest struggle is finding a server that isn't full. :p

We're working on getting the other WirePLay provided server up and running. They need a Linux build to run, which is hopefully done by the end of this week.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher

Ooo looks good guys!

Thanks, have fun playing y'all.

I was on MBII last night and there was a Mandalorian pwning all the jedi with his flame thrower. I was an arc trooper so I got him a couple times though. I just love how every thing is so balanced. BTW awesome mod guys. You've made me wan't to have another go at MP, and thats saying a whole lot. I no longer regret buying JA. Good work!

Archived