- Invalid model fix to prevent players from picking opposing team colors

- Model fix to prevent all white bugged color models

- New fix to lower the refresh of drain to prevent spamming

- Added a cvar to disable the velocity stop when push/pulled with absorb on

- New Server selected weather effects for xmod clients

- Award system added with over 30 awards for doing various things

- Repaired the /gc topten command so it lists your current rank

- Fixed a message bug with #log

- Cvars are now alphabetized when using (/help cvar)

- New HTTP/FTP download redirection

- RGB Sabers

- Support for new CTF TFFA and FFA scoreboards

- Fixed weapon damage and ammo cvars

- Fixed a bug which made some people unable to connect to xmod servers

- Repaired a bug which caused the music to do funny things after a duel

- Added location markers to FFA chat and a cvar to turn it off

xMod2 Client Example Features

Full color mouse over names

HTTP & FTP Server downloading

Award system with over 30 awards

Sounds for every award

Icon for every award

Script Detection

New CTF FFA and TFFA Scoreboards

With caps/returns, kills/deaths, duel wins/losses

Screenshots:

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgs4.jpgs5.jpgs6.jpgs7.jpgs8.jpgs9.jpg

Special Thanks

**Apex and Genso for the loc files

**Quakeman for all of his help

**My sweetheart for pulling me away from the computer every so often

**Everyone who trolls our forum and irc

**Razorace and everyone who works on OJP

Grab it at:

http://xmod2.cat5camp.com

xMod - win32

xMod - linux

xMod Client 3.0

I checked ASE the other day. About 300 servers running JA+ Mod (in some form or another), and about 20 running Xmod2 (only four of those running the current version).

But I see not just 2.8.0 or even 2.8.1 but also 2.8.9....

What gives? Is it possible to avoid version hell with admin mods?

And can you answer my question above?

2.8.x anything other then 0 is usually a non-released version of the mod that runs on my beta server. There is no way to test a mod without running it.

You can do whatever you want in my mod. There is no such thing as removing EVERY abusive admin command as even chat can be abused.

Fair enough about the testing. You don't have to make it dedicated of course, but that's up to you, and if it doesn't require a client download that makes sense too.

So you're saying that I can slap, teleport, sleep, and slay people in Xmod2 2.8.x?

A simple yes or no will do... no need to beat around the bush about it. Either you can do that in your mod, or you can't.

As a responsible mod maker you should do your best to reduce the potential abuse. So that's why I'm asking...

Look, I didn't want to start a flame fest here, so please don't anybody else do it...

I just wanted Hex to tell us straight up, did he remove the abusive commands (and he knows what I'm talking about as well as does everyone else), like the mod had, pre- 2.7.x or not?

A simple yes or no is all I'm asking for. He's already explained at length why he put in the commands, then removed them, then put them back in.

In the past both Slider & Hex (though he's changed his mind before, showing he's more flexible) have given reasons why they wish to include abusive commands in their mods. Lately they've tried to dodge criticism for this by adding more and more "features" to their mods, in the hopes to win more users. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder why the abusive commands are so "needed" in the first place? But at least keep your audience informed if your mod uses these commands or not...

Besides (and I do NOT mean this as a flame, so please don't anyone take it personally), should we accuse Xmod2 of "ripping off somebody else" because it added commands like slap, teleport, etc? I don't have a problem with mods using similar features of each other, as long as people take the time to give credit where credit is due and don't write off other's work as their own. Otherwise, what's wrong with using a feature that's considered good?

If JA+ were to add off-server downloading, that would not be a bad thing. What would be a bad thing is if Slider took Hex's code, and used it in his mod without permission. But it's not as if Hex invented off-server downloading, he's simply the first one (that I know of) to implement it in JA (other Q3 engine games have it, I'm told). (Some of these comments are also directed at the issues raised on the site that was linked above)

I think the only thing a game needs is KICK and BAN... why other unnecessary commands?? Do you see your team in BF1942 getting slapped around for camping the enemy spawn? No, they either get kicked, banned, or perhaps warned (and that's without slapping them or something similar)

The Download feature in Xmod sounds pretty good, and I don't think it sucks the bandwith out of the server as someone said before, because it downloads from an URL, not the server it is trying to connect to.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Besides (and I do NOT mean this as a flame, so please don't anyone take it personally), should we accuse Xmod2 of "ripping off somebody else" because it added commands like slap, teleport, etc? I don't have a problem with mods using similar features of each other, as long as people take the time to give credit where credit is due and don't write off other's work as their own. Otherwise, what's wrong with using a feature that's considered good?

Excellent point(s). Slider doesn't steal anything, he's just inspired. For instance: Nintendo started the 4-player thing with consoles, and now all consoles have that implented. Let's accuse them for stealing? No.

If JA+ were to add off-server downloading, that would not be a bad thing. What would be a bad thing is if Slider took Hex's code, and used it in his mod without permission. But it's not as if Hex invented off-server downloading, he's simply the first one (that I know of) to implement it in JA (other Q3 engine games have it, I'm told). (Some of these comments are also directed at the issues raised on the site that was linked above)

Yes, I would like it if Slider used the same idea but with a different code or way of doing it, simply copying the code is stealing.

watch'all moaning about anyway.

1.)If they /amsleep you, why do you want to even be on their server?

2.) The only people who do that stuff are rpg'ers/honour people (see 1.) )

3.) If they don't have /amsleep commands, then they'll just use addip or clientkick, so none of that really matters.

:)

Originally posted by iamtrip

watch'all moaning about anyway.

1.)If they /amsleep you, why do you want to even be on their server?

This isn't really a problem with Xmod2, because there are only about 20 such servers. The problem is when a mod that has them gets really popular (like JA+ Mod) so that it's very difficult to find a server that DOESN'T use it. Basically, the majority of populated servers have some kind of admin mod running, and most of them have slap/sleep/teleport type commands implemented. So one can't very well just hop to another server.

It's when these abusive mods have a monopoly that this logic of just jumping to another server falls flat.

2.) The only people who do that stuff are rpg'ers/honour people (see 1.) )

Which again, seem to comprise a large number of the admins out there. That and you forgot another major category of admin.. the "jerk."

These are the guys who are either "bored" or sore losers, who will slap you to prevent them from losing, or because they are bored just playing the game and want to "screw with" people.

As long as the admin has those powers at his fingertips, it doesn't matter if his server is an "RPG" (these are actually quite rare) or "Honor" (much more common).

3.) If they don't have /amsleep commands, then they'll just use addip or clientkick, so none of that really matters.

It all comes down to tact. Would you rather be kicked from a server or humiliated and taunted by some kid using the amabuse commands until you disconnect yourself out of frustration? Likewise, the abusive commands allow him to effectively cheat anytime in the game, without disconnecting people.

So what fun is there in the game anymore when you know that the Admin can cheat to win or prevent other players from scoring? He can even do it subtly so you don't notice it unless you're watching carefully.

Admin Mods essentially make the admin (and his friends, who he can make into "subadmins" at will) a cheater. And who wants to play a game alongside a cheater (when you of course are forced to follow the rules?)?

It kills any sense of fun and competition.

The whole "just suck it up and learn to live with it" philosophy is fine and dandy when it's the base game as designed by the developers. When it's amateur third party mods created by people who are influenced by public opinion, then it's worth mentioning.

This just in from Hex on ICQ:

they are still in there

Thank you for responding. Not surprised, but that's what I wanted, a reply!

Here's hoping you reconsider with future versions...

It kills any sense of fun and competition.

I don't think you needed an admin mod for that.

But I see what you mean. It was kinda like that in jk2, except there were competetive servers, rather than just a mass of rpg/honour servers, where you could play without all the messing around.

My point was though, no matter whether the am commands are there or not, if an admin wants to abuse you, then removal of those commands won't resolve the issues.

I'm sure JA has some competetive servers (where even with those commands at their disposal, the admin won't use them).

Originally posted by <-KRT->Dhart

Okay... then spend your time playing one of those xmod servers instead of whining about JA+ servers in this forum.

Problem solved! :-)

You've entirely missed Kurgan's many great points.

And learn the difference between whining and critisising. Whining doesn't involve lengthy posts that contain excellent points with a great deal of wisdom.

If you think that Kurgan is whining, you must not play Jedi Academy multiplayer.

LOL...that's classic. Anyways, the JAR mod is a very vanilla kinda of mod. Not many things in it, but it does pack a punch when you want it to. However, I definitely enjoy xMod and I think Hex has done a great job with it.

Personally, I don't think Slider can think of anything on his own. In any case, when he does a "copied feature" it's usually a poorly done version of it. Don't beleive me? Run a diff between all the released mods out there against JA+. How many things can you find unique about his mod?

zero, maybe 1 or 2?

Heh...I rest my case.

c1 out!!!!

Archived