Home

Yet Another Video Card Question

Miko Reglia

Hey guys, sorry to be bothering you all with another video card question, but...I have a video card question.

I have $250 right now, and it's all going towards a new video card. I can probably go up to $300 as well, so yeah. I've been looking at a ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB which goes for $250, and I've heard they're great from a lot of reviews. Problem is my friend just bought the very same card and was saying that the card was sort of overheating so it caused some problems for him. So, he went out and bought a nVIDIA instead and has been saying nothing but good things for it.

I'm planning on playing JKA of course, and hopefully Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 as well as a lot of the other Star Wars titles and such, so yeah, please help me guys!:(

First off, the card might've been defective. Also ask where he got it, for if it came from Ebay or a small-time shop, it could've been overclocked to a 9800 Pro. Also, what Nvidia card does he have?

By the way, my 9800 Pro 128mb runs great, no overheating.

Originally posted by Miko Reglia

He just got a BFG nVIDIA 6800 OC, and bought it at Best Buy.

Er, if it's the same price then, well, GET IT.

The 6800 is the newest generation of Nvidia cards; the 5900 is the last generation of Nvidia cards. The 9800 is the last generation of Ati cards; X800 is the new generation of Ati cards.

If that got you confused:

Companies Ati--Nvidia

Current Gen.- X800 6800

Last Gen.---- 9800 5900

Hope that helps...:p

Lol, yeah I know my current and past generations and stuff like that. I'm not that dumb.:p

It's just I did a comparison between both products and they both seem to be around the same, since the 6800 he bought for $300 new was like the lowest of them all right now so he said. It was also because I kept hearing how good the 9800's were running and stuff so yeah.

I'm gonna be heading down to the local electronics warehouse soon anyway, and I'll check it out myself I guess.:cool:

Originally posted by Miko Reglia

It's just I did a comparison between both products and they both seem to be around the same, since the 6800 he bought for $300 new was like the lowest of them all right now so he said. It was also because I kept hearing how good the 9800's were running and stuff so yeah.

The 6800 plain has 12 texture pipelines, while the 9800 has 8 pipelines. You could even softmod the 6800 to have 16 pipelines, so it sounds like the better deal to me.

note to everyone, never ever buy an apollo made card ;) ive had personal experiance with apollo cards of both ati and nvidia brands and they were both crap of the 1st degree. the memory was so unstable you had to underclock the cards to achieve stable performance in 3d and even some 2d applications.

Archived