Home

Saber Styles

Morgan_Hearst

Picked this up from the Weekend Programmer thread on the Obsidian forums:

4) How many saber styles? Fast/Normal/Strong would be cool, but Crane/Eagle/Wolf/Snake/Tiger/any other naming scheme that gives a ton would be better.

Akari:

There's more than 5. And some are class specific.

More than 5 :D

5 different types and class specifics? Omg, jay, this is getting me really hot :D

But about the fast/normal/strong, I doubt that since like in JA and JK2, you swing your saber slow, but deals more damage, there is no sense in that because the energy of the crystal is totally weightless and you can't measure your sabers damage, how fast or slow you swing it.

But I'm pretty sure that defensive and agressive saber modes will be added.

Because, all of the forms had not been invented yet Prime. Form I had been, naturally, form II would have been, form III MIGHT have been, Form IV could be, if form III had been. Form V...I'd say no. Form VI? In the age of Sith Lords? No way. Form VII/Vapaad had not been invented yet.

Originally posted by Hiroki

Because, all of the forms had not been invented yet Prime. Form I had been, naturally, form II would have been, form III MIGHT have been, Form IV could be, if form III had been. Form V...I'd say no. Form VI? In the age of Sith Lords? No way. Form VII/Vapaad had not been invented yet.

I feel like everyone is speaking a different language.

I can see that I'm going to have to invest some time in researching EU if I'm going to keep up :D

Originally posted by Achilles

I feel like everyone is speaking a different language.

I can see that I'm going to have to invest some time in researching EU if I'm going to keep up :D

You are not alone in feeling "EU lost" there Achillies... as I also have no idea what Hiroki is referring to.

Good points. Form III probably would not have been since there were still plenty of saber/sword wielding opponents around. Form III likely arose when the Sith were thought to be defeated and Jedi faced blasters almost exclusively. Form VI still might have been around back then. Jedi were involved with the daily affairs of governments and the like. There were probably enough Jedi (especially during peaceful lulls) who were not warriors, and thus might use Form VI. It may not have been common during Sith times, but it may have existed. As for Form VII, I am under the impression that Vapaad is a variation of it, not one in the same...

In any event, remember that KOTOR is only 4000 before the Battle of Yavin. The Jedi had been around for over 20,000 years by this point, so most likely all the styles already existed in some form or another...

This is a tres cool idea, indeed.

Form 1 could act as the basic style used during the beginning of the game, and from there you branch off into the 6 other Forms available, each with their own extensive set of animations. :D

I just wonder how you'd go about implementing Form VII realistically into the game, since it's a highly volatile style that few Jedi have attempted, much less become accomplished with (with Mace Windu being the only Jedi having actually mastered it through a lifetime of training).

Originally posted by Khier Serakk

I just wonder how you'd go about implementing Form VII realistically into the game, since it's a highly volatile style that few Jedi have attempted, much less become accomplished with (with Mace Windu being the only Jedi having actually mastered it through a lifetime of training).

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch. Since your character starts out as a Jedi, I think the leap from rusty-has-been to lightsaber-master is just as feasible as anything else. I could be wrong though...

Originally posted by Achilles

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch. Since your character starts out as a Jedi, I think the leap from rusty-has-been to lightsaber-master is just as feasible as anything else. I could be wrong though...

It's not too much of a stretch at all, the skill with a lightsaber may have been unused in your PC's exile but the instincts developed are still there and the unused skills will fully return quickly when used once again, especially in a do or die situation. :D

Thx for the link, now I understand what formations you were talking about :)

But anyways, I think these VII formations is a very good idea, but I hope that Bioware won't make it like a scale, that the I is the weakest and so on the VII is the strongest. I mean, I hope they will add a feat inside or some skill that allows you to master like form II more effectively, that in the end it's more powerful than even form VII.

They wouldn't make it like that. Because form VI is in no way stronger than any of the other forms, besides maybe form I. I would say a Weapons Master would be the only one who should have access to form VII.

And then only well into the game.

Archived