Home

Battlefront World Championship 2005

boranchistanger

Would Your Clan be Interested in Competing for the World Championship?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would Your Clan be Interested in Competing for the World Championship?

• Yes
    • No
    • undecided

Originally posted by Alegis

sponsors? there shouldnt be any prices in a swbf.net competition me thinks. And if its a swbf.net competition the page would be on the site right :p its too early to talk about a world championship-year.

no, sponsors tho rend good servers etc. but that would by a hard job to accomplish

I've been advising Boran on a few issues over the past week or two regarding this tournament. What actually goes down is ultimately up to him, but I'm trying to steer him clear of a few pitfalls that could make the tournament less than a success.

A few notes that I'd like to share with all of you is that I've advised:

-a single-elim format, no 'qualifying' rounds before hand (to make a compact tournament that can take place over the course of a few weeks rather than months)

- for the tournament should be scheduled to start when there's a break in the regular season play of the major leagues hosting SW:BF (ie, playoffs/off season before a new one starts) as to not interfere too much with the routine competetions

- to drop the 'merc clan' stuff

- to keep the custom map contest separate from the tournament or at least keep the maps out of the final rounds if they MUST be in the tournament at all. Customs in competetion can cause major hastles.

I'll leave Boran to comment on whether he's adopting my suggestions or not.

I will be taking the tab for the domain and the site will be hosted off of the 194th's space. I'm not giving getting the site up and running a very high priority at this point since this event is so far off. We will be letting the public know when it is up.

I will also be on the hunt for a sponsor (or sponsors) for this tournament. Primary targets are game server rental companies that would agree to giving the winning team a server at no cost for x amount of time. The other route would be to gather various sponsorships in the form of cash grants and put that money towards furnishing the prize(s).

More info as it becomes available.

Since everyone is so divided haow about this idea. You could host monthly clan wars to qualify for quarterly finals. Take the top 2 clans each quarter and they will be the ones who compete in the World Championships. This way all clans have to work at it on a monthly Basis, but only the top 8 teams would go to the finals...This would eliminate most of the weak clans who will drop off throughout the year anyway.

Just a thought.

The reason why I suggest a single elim format that can start and finish in a 6-7 week period is so that it can be squeezed in between regular competetion seasons at the main gaming leagues.

What need is there for qualifying rounds? Remember, these matches are to be played in addition to whatever other competetions clans are currently in. Conflict with that too much and most clans won't bother - there's only so much time to go around. Being as non-obtrusive as possible is going to be key to getting a good turnout. This means scheduling in the off season and keeping the time commitment as short as possible.

If it seems like the window of opportunity there is going to be too short, then I may advise giving seeds to the top teams (can be determined easily by whoever is in the playoffs or high in the rankings of whatever leagues there are) and then have qualifying rounds for the remainder of the spots while the better teams are still duking it out in the playoffs of their respective leagues. In my experience, league schedules typically run along side each other from site to site (meaning typically all the leagues are in their playoff rounds at the same time) so it would make sense to do it that way.

Originally posted by MasterClone

hey joe, is TOL going to be competing in this? :D

ya thats if they ever get it off the ground.TOL will compete in all tournys and cash tournys are up to me since i will usually pay for them myself.

hopefully i get to help run this thing if they want me to host the domain.but boron does not seem to acknowledge my presence of the fact i can host the domain.if he has the domain thats another story.anyways i'm here if ya need me.

Hey bro, count on {SoE} Playing.

We've been victim to other systems before that haven't worked out, and on the other hand, we've seen systems that have. I would like to apply for a position in the design crew of this tournament. We have ideas for something very similar and perhaps we can use each other's ideas to find the perfect formula for an online gaming tournament of this calibur.

Please contact me on MSN: mod_stedde@hotmail.com

or our clan website: http://www.soehq.com

Thank you for your time, and I support your idea all the way, bro.

:cool:

*S* {SoE}Stedde

Archived