Home

Computer Gaming Banter

Alien426

Anybody think this will be a nice adventure?

It won't! There were playable versions on consoles and PCs at GC 2004. The game's just a succession of simple mini games connected by running around, status screens and loads and loads of loading screens. The conversation with the girl of choice had you control a sperm that had to avoid certain objects in a side-scrolling game. In another game you had to mix drinks by hitting a button every time an action symbol would scoll into your crosshair.

Everything I saw screemed "Baaad!!!". The PC game crashed the machine.

I read an interview with one of the guys making it and he said something along the lines of they were making this one different in hopes of making enough money off it to be allowed to make a proper adventure sequal.

But we all know just how much we can trust these people right.

OK, for those who don't know the beginning of the story:

There was a post on the Half-Life 2 Fallout forums claiming that HL2 was gold. It was supposedly by Gabe Newell himself.

Now, there was a news article on Half-Life 2 Fallout saying:

After one crazy night of theories, server mayhem and IP tracing, we've finally gotten to the bottom of this mess. In a twist of hilarity, it seems that Gabe Newell had set his account password to 'gaben'. Person x guessed this and made the "going gold on Monday" post which we've heard so much about. The user (who we believe is the same person x) then made this post just minutes ago using Gabe's account:

Maybe he shouldn't have used 'gaben' for his password. Come on Gabe, you could of thought of something better than that

After a quick double-check, it seems that this was exactly what happened.

How stupid is that? With a password like that it's no wonder people could steal the source code some months ago.

Could some mod rename the thread title to something like "computer gaming banter"?

Originally posted by DrMcCoy

concerning larry8:

afaik sierra kicked al lowe (sp?) (the guy behind the larry-series) years ago...

So by that rationalle, Larry is sort of a preverbial dead horse at this point eh?

I remeber "Liesure Suit Larry" back before I had a PC, and a friend of mine did. We had alot of fun with it, and when I was in high school, we thought we were doing something REALLY taboo. Compared to games now like GTA series, it is sort of silly I guess. Well....guess all good things come to an end someday. Sad thing about this one, it seems they are milking a franchise that has none of it's original members left in the mix.

There's a page on Al's site where he states:

"As to the many emails I've received stating, "They can't do this to you" and "It's your character" etc. I'd like to say this: my contract with Sierra was for "work for hire" and all rights to the characters and stories I created remained the property of Sierra. They have the right to do with those characters as they wish.

As of today, October 20, 2003, I have had nothing to do with the game, but, as always, I would still enjoy working on any Larry game, if Sierra feels I have something to contribute."

I wonder when Penny Arcade will have comics about this (and that Half-Life 2 goof-up)...

Originally posted by DrMcCoy

strange, if i had created such a character, i would feel somehow "connected" to him and i would have problems with other people messing with him...

A dude at a comic shop told me this: if you want to make sure your story/character doesn't fall out of your hands, copyright it before doing ANYTHING.

(Copy-righting is actually cheap...)

So if Al just sorta handed Larry over without independant copyright, Larry is Serria's.

BUT DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT?!

Sad thing about this one, it seems they are milking a franchise that has none of it's original members left in the mix.

My, that sounds familiar....http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134651

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

How about it? That goes the same for Alien Resurection, and that AVP movie. Jeezum Crow :eek:

It's true that Alien Resurrection wasn't as good as its predecessors, but I hate it when people say "this is not even an Alien movie." Can anybody recall a single Alien movie that was like any other Alien movies? The first one was nothing like the second or third. The second one was nothing like the first or third and so on. They've all been comeplete standalones so wouldn't make sense that the fourth one be a standalone?

As for the "people involved" not being the same (arguing your comment) is that the only things that the three Alien movies shared were Sigourney Weaver and H.R. Giger's design. Every screenwriter, director, and cast were completely different in all three movies, so why does Alien Resurrection contuing this pattern make it bad?

Sorry, I get a little touchy-feely when people diss on my Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

As for AVP, complete balsphemous crap. I agree with you all the way on that one.

I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Joss Whedon (platonically), but mixing them both together does seem to produce crap. ;D

Alien 3 got cussed up a lot too, didn't it? With Mr David Fincher of Se7en & Fight Club fame directing, too. I quite liked it, but I saw it before the first two films and was therefore not annoyed by what happened to all the survivors.

The only thing that annoys me about Alien VS Predator is that it's set on bloody EARTH. Oh, and the fact that it's crap. As for Terminator 3, I thought it was quite good - it was always going to be a shameless squeeze of a franchise that had peaked, but what spurted out was alright.

Edited for sense!

Originally posted by scabb

As for Terminator 3, I thought it was quite good - it was always going to be a shameless squeeze of a franchise that had peaked, but what spurted out was alright.

No denying that, in my view, it's like EMI, good on it's own, but not too good when compared to the others. It's a nice action film and may make some people think about it a bit at the end, in in most of our eyes, I think it all should have ended with T2.

Originally posted by Joshi

I think it all should have ended with T2.

It did really.

I think the message the last film was trying to get across is that because of humanity's destructive nature we are doomed to self destruction, and can therefore not be prevented. However you almost knew that at the end of the second film, and they could have just as easily got the point across in that one.

Originally posted by scabb

I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Joss Whedon (platonically), but mixing them both together does seem to produce crap. ;D

I'm pretty sure that I heard that Whedon's script got battered to be unrecognizable by the producers, but that story is probably exaggerated a bit.

I, personally, really only thought the first one was the great masterpiece and think the second one, though good, is overrated, but I just "enjoyed" pretty much all of the following ones. I'm not saying Alien 4 was great, but I just don't think it deserves to be called "blasphemous". Every alien film had different people working on it and that's why I was agruing Darth Groovy's comment. As for AVP, that really did break the rules for both Alien and Predator, and didn't follow the original AVP storyline at all. (It also made a lot of historical mistakes with the pyramids and stuff)

I do love Jeunet, and you have to give props because he did make A4 probably the best-looking Alien film. I think the four really just focused on different genres for each one: The first one horror, the second one action, the third kind of thriller, and the fourth sort of Chrichton-esque science fiction. That's why I think the first one exceeds all the other ones so much because horror is my favorite genre.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

It did really.

I think the message the last film was trying to get across is that because of humanity's destructive nature we are doomed to self destruction, and can therefore not be prevented. However you almost knew that at the end of the second film, and they could have just as easily got the point across in that one.

The message of the third movie was pretty much summed up in Sarah Conners little epitaph at the end of T2.

Still, you can't beat the Terminators last stand in T3. Wel..., okay, the Terminators last stand in The Terminator was much better, but at the time, it was pretty cool. An okay movie as movies go.

In an attempt to bring this topic back on track, I shall banter about the upcoming Half-Life 2! I don't plan to say anything about Half-Life 2, as I don't know much - but to celebrate it's upcomingness*, I made a HL model of Purple Tentacle!

Of course, it looks like a party hat as PTDC so HILARIOUSLY put it, and there are many things that certainly need tweaking and will probably never be tweaked. But because it's my first model, you all have to pat me on the back and tell me how excellent it is. And if I ever catch anyone playing with a different model that actually works PROPERLY and has MORE than three animations, then I shall be very upset.

*A lie.

Originally posted by JofaGuht

I'm pretty sure that I heard that Whedon's script got battered to be unrecognizable by the producers, but that story is probably exaggerated a bit.

"The worst thing about these things is that, when the actors say it wrong, it makes the writer look stupid. People assume that the line... I listened to half the dialogue in Alien 4, and I'm like, "That's idiotic," because of the way it was said. And nobody knows that. Nobody ever gets that. They say, "That was a stupid script," which is the worst pain in the world. I have a great long boring story about that, but I can tell you the very short version. In Alien 4, the director changed something so that it didn't make any sense. He wanted someone to go and get a gun and get killed by the alien, so I wrote that in and tried to make it work, but he directed it in a way that it made no sense whatsoever. And I was sitting there in the editing room, trying to come up with looplines to explain what's going on, to make the scene make sense, and I asked the director, "Can you just explain to me why he's doing this? Why is he going for this gun?" And the editor, who was French, turned to me and said, with a little leer on his face, [adopts gravelly, smarmy, French-accented voice] "Because eet's een the screept." And I actually went and dented the bathroom stall with my puddly little fist. I have never been angrier. But it's the classic, "When something goes wrong, you assume the writer's a dork." And that's painful."

-- Joss Whedon, The Onion A.V. Club

Also read this.

Originally posted by JofaGuht

...and think the second one, though good, is overrated...

I do love Jeunet, and you have to give props because he did make A4 probably the best-looking Alien film.

The second one overrrated? Alien 4 "best-looking"? No way dude...ette!

Aliens is so much better in design and execution. My point about the similiarity to the Monkey Island series still stands. EMI used a lot of the old stuff and did it badly. Alien³ may have taken some things from the previous movies, but Alien Resurrection did it blatantly. It tried to be comic-y, but was often just stupid. It had its moments, but doesn't play the same league as the others. The franchise simply isn't made for Jeunet (Happy Birthday!). Amélie and The City Of Lost Children were.

scabb: attempt failed.

Just to clarify: I think the second is overrated in comparison to the first one. I still think it's better than the following ones.

The only thing that bugs me is the labels of "it's too much of a film in its own right, nobody from the other movies are involved with it, it's too much of a franchise, etc" that are put on the fourth one when it applies to the others as well. They say it's not part of the proper trilogy. Well, every Alien film has been made seven or eight years apart from each other, they are all complete films in their own right with their own mood, barely anybody involved with them were involved with the others, all the sequels were made because of the first's or whatever predecessors' popularity, and there never really was any "planned" trilogy. Many, including me, just feel that way because the end of A3 tied up the most loose ends when the fourth just left them open, and this is true.

I'm not arguing you you, Alien246, because you just disliked it in the film's own right, you didn't put those labels on it. I do think the fourth is a little thin and occasionally has lame dialogue (and I still don't honestly believe Ryder was a robot) but I kind of dug it otherwise. I just think when people analyze it with the other Alien films as a whole, they overbash this "complete sacrilege" not realizing that some of their comments apply to the others, just in a more positive manner. If you still think this, stop comparing it and just pretend it never happened like I do with the Hellraiser sequels.

And it's true that Whedon has a very distinct rhythm in his dialogue which is hard to preform if he or his people isnt in the directing or editing process. But like no one has ever bastardized a script before; it was bound to happen to him sooner or later. I do think Whedon and Jeunet were kind of trying to make two completely different movies at the same time, but there are worse movies to complain about.

Archived