Home

UT ping trouble

JBRAA

I have UT, GOTY edition. 436 patch installed. When connecting to a server which I get for example 78 in ping value in the serverlist, I get a totally different ping feel in the game. It feels like perhaps 300 and above in ping, while it ranges from 100-150 in the game according to the 'window' that pop-up after being fragged. This problem is annoying. I have tried shutting off all other internetprograms like firewalls, messangers etc. The sniper gun hits the wall 1 sec after I've fired. I have no good luck being fragmaster with that condition. So, what shall I do?

Edit: I'm not infected with a bandwidth stealing adware, or other bug, according to Ad-aware.

Not sure - maybe you're just choosing bad servers? I know the ping in-game is always more than displayed in the server browser - for instance, if I connect to servers that display a ping of 30 in the server browser, I can expect to get anything from 60-100 in-game.

The only other thing that springs to mind is that you're still running some kind of clever software firewall that delays data packets before they go anywhere - but then I don't know what that would only affect UT. Don't you get this problem in other games?

Originally posted by Huz

Don't you get this problem in other games?

Nope, not that I know of, or have seen. Perhaps I will get better results on a better located server. I only tried three or four servers with low ping when I experienced this problem. I have not played UT1 online before.

You should try changing your netspeed to #####. What this does is take the max netspeed your internet-connection can handle. If it's too high/low it might slow the game down.

(to change netspeed open the console and type netspeed #####)

Also, when you're on a server type ping in the console to see your current ping. If it's not as high as you think there could be something wrong with your videosettings.

You should also turn off mouse-smoothing. This causes mouse-lag and is most likely what causes the problem.

Originally posted by SteveBB

You should try changing your netspeed to #####. What this does is take the max netspeed your internet-connection can handle. If it's too high/low it might slow the game down.

(to change netspeed open the console and type netspeed #####)

The easiest way to do this in UT is to make sure the 'Connection' drop-down menu is set approximately right - it gives you choices like "Dialup", "ISDN", "DSL", "LAN" and so on.

Archived