Home

Why was Manny a reaper?

neon_git

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the problem of the game is that there are lots of humoristic phrases related with the LOTD "system", and when you are playing and you hear the joke you laugh, but later, when you replay or think about the game, you realised that phrase "contradicts" another one. And the manual doesn't help, in fact, when it describes some places, it makes some comments even more confusing...

Absolutely. Anyone remember in the beginning of Year 3 when Glottis and Manny mention that it's not dangerous for Manny to be at the bottom of the sea because he no longer has lungs? That means he doesn't breathe. Yet later in Year 3 when he and Meche are locked up in the cooler she tells him to "go waste the air in his room". Also, without lungs it is rather difficult to exhale cigarette smoke, yet they all do it. :D

So yeah, taking things too literally will lead to confusing situations. The difficult part is deciding what's important, what's just a joke and what shouldn't be dwelled on.

Suddenly, Charie's point of view is starting to make a lot more sense.

Don't forget the "Was Salvador a reaper?" thread I opened some time ago, more confusing parts on the game :lol: In fact, I think these discussions show how wonderful Grim Fandango is. I mean, is the only game I know where the creators can leave lots of "holes" and don't explain important parts and when you finish the game you feel that it was perfect and extraordinary completed. Impressive.

Well, as a sum up, give the conclussions you got, please :lol: I'm starting to be a bit confused. Are they buried with money or not? :lol:

Well, as a sum up, give the conclussions you got, please I'm starting to be a bit confused. Are they buried with money or not?

I have no idea. Until this discussion I assumed that no real money was involved at all, that the deserving souls simply got their tickets regardless of how wealthy they were and that selling tickets meant handing them out to those who deserved them. I thought that the mentioned money was simply one way of measuring their good deeds. Sort of like the moral points mentioned earlier.

And now... No idea. I don't think anyone of us can give a definite answer to that. You better ask Schafer. ;) Though I'm sure that if he saw this thread, he'd tell us to relax, stop thinking about things like this and simply enjoy the game.

The long post thing applies here as well

Damn, those are a lot of posts. Better answer then one by one.

----------------

What do you mean, 'unviable'?

Not viable is the appropriate term. What I meant was that they had created an unrealistic setting (which seem naturally and is not questioned by the player).

Your favourite decades are 40's-60's?

30s to 50s; but the game does not have a clear time location.

To my mind, the one fault of the Portal is coldness. I'm freezing under two thick blankets here, and you expect me to like that North Pole. Plus, if I need melancholy, I can get more than enough of it looking out of my window. White ground, the same colour of the sky, dull grey pavement. As senor Martinez said, 'Ah, phooey!'

Ha, we are melting under 30ºC and a lot of humidity. I really miss cold and rainy days.

Anything that re-creates a depressive environment on a profound level is of my interest.

Further reganding the money issue.

In Rubacava Celso (again that blasted Celso) told Manny that his wife had all his money. I assumed it was her inheritance after husband's death. Then, Celso wouldn't have had any money at his arrival in the LotD, as well. Yet, Manny sais (that guy always sais something contradictory) that he sells walking-sticks. How is that possible?

If you check Manny's computer at the beginning, he says that Celso did not deserve the stick.

Maybe someone should write to Tim Schafer and ask this details

Though I know you said it as a joke, I think that asking the developers about it would ruin the whole thing.

A short time ago, someone rasied a question about what happened when somebody was sprouted; then another person read the answer Schafer gave in an interview or in the strategy guide, and it was quite disappointing.

Who knows, maybe the creators didn't want us to have a very complete vision of the land of the dead (in fact, we don't see lots of cities in the game), so they could focus in the important facts: story, characters development, humor... etc.

I agree to this, it adds to the mystery and fun of the game.

But... well. Mea culpa, madames and monsieurs, mea maxima culpa: this issue had crossed my mind once, as well. I just dismissed it then, settling on a notion that love is much more platonic for the dead.

I think the issue appeared to every person who played the game at least once.

And I could go on and on but I am tired of quoting.

Something that I find pretty important about the game is the regress of cities like El Marrow and Rubacava (It comes hand in hand with an earlier comment of mine). El Marrow, a cheerful and colourful city that was the first stop for the newly deceased, had been changed into a dark town with an excessive amount of neon signs and publicity; the DOD was no longer active (at least that is what Manny seems to hint) which is reasonably significant. Nuevo Marrow was for me a symbol about the conflict of ideals around it; the quarrel between the LSA and Hector LeMans*, and on a bigger scale freedom and submission.

And Rubacava, a city that held the elite of the Land of the Dead, a place where practically everyone would have liked to live in, was now an almost deserted and neglected place.

*How did Hector get so much power? Did I miss something, or he was virtually the owner of the city?

*How did Hector get so much power? Did I miss something, or he was virtually the owner of the city?

That is an interesting point. I find it unlikely that he alone ruled the place. Perhaps he had the most power and respect since he ran the fake NN Ticket business, but I'm sure that he didn't own the city, if you know what I mean.

Nuevo Marrow was probably filled with opportunists by the time Manny returned there and I'm sure that at least some of them did their best at trying to reach the top. Most likely they didn't get as far as Hector, but surely there had to be other important people too.

Meh, I'm not getting anywhere with this post. I'm just repeating the same thing over and over again and can't turn my actual vision into words.

I think Eva and Copal say Hector is one of the important guys of the city, so maybe he was in the govern and he gradually gained power with the money. By the way, you think Hector should have been a reaper but he didn't want to work and stayed in the city? or maybe he wasn't that bad in life but got corrupted?

That is an interesting point. I find it unlikely that he alone ruled the place. Perhaps he had the most power and respect since he ran the fake NN Ticket business, but I'm sure that he didn't own the city, if you know what I mean.

Nuevo Marrow was probably filled with opportunists by the time Manny returned there and I'm sure that at least some of them did their best at trying to reach the top. Most likely they didn't get as far as Hector, but surely there had to be other important people too.

Meh, I'm not getting anywhere with this post. I'm just repeating the same thing over and over again and can't turn my actual vision into words.

Yeah, People who we didn't get to know since it didn't concern Manny. I'm sure the LSA took care of them ;).

By the way, you think Hector should have been a reaper but he didn't want to work and stayed in the city? or maybe he wasn't that bad in life but got corrupted?

He was trying to sell packages to Celso and his wife, and I doubt it they were his only 'customers', but this has more to do with the fake tickets.

I remember that while talking to Salvador at the LSA headquarters he mentions that Hector used to be a thief.

I'm not sure if this was when he was alive or as soon as he got to the LotD.

Sorry, I didn't explain very well because I was in hurry. I wanted to say if you think Hector was bad in life too. If he was as he's in the LOTD, he surely should have been punished to work his time on the DOD, but maybe he just quit the job and stayed "prisioner" in the city.

El Virus

Damn, those are a lot of posts.

My thoughts exactly.

If you check Manny's computer at the beginning, he says that Celso did not deserve the stick.

And what you are saying is..?

I don't remember that line, but sounds like Manny's usual sarcasm.

A short time ago, someone rasied a question about what happened when somebody was sprouted; then another person read the answer Schafer gave in an interview or in the strategy guide, and it was quite disappointing.

I took it that Schafer didn't know the answer either and just produced his idea on the spot, as a possibility and not a fact.

------------------------------------------------

I didn't see Rubacava's and El Marrow's regress as something symbolical. I didn't think much of that at all, seeing that this technique (a traveller returnes to the lands he had left behind only to find nothing but decay and drastic changes for the worse) is widely used in literature, never ceasing to create a great impression, though.

Well, it could also be viewed as an example of what happens to a city when mafia and extreme corruption grab the control.

And Rubacava, a city that held the elite of the Land of the Dead, a place where practically everyone would have liked to live in, was now an almost deserted and neglected place.

It became neglected as well? I don't remember much of 4th-year's Rubacava. I wonder, why did it become like that, then. Perhaps the town was really too dependant on the megalopolis of El/Nuevo Marrow, both in terms of new souls and subsidizing.

By the way, I wouldn't like to live in Rubacava, even in it's best days. I'd rather live in Puerto Zapato, the one I imagine :).

How did Hector get so much power? Did I miss something, or he was virtually the owner of the city?

He was, Olivia agreed with Manny on this, and Salvador seemed to consider Hector LSA's prime enemy.

I think VampireNaomi is right, there were other big people in Nuevo Marrow - all under Hector's control or supervision. LeMans was like a Godfather there, I suppose; even the patterns on his hands are crosses :).

I guess taking over the DOD was a significant point in Hectors career, providing a good start for his overall rise.

Yohein

By the way, you think Hector should have been a reaper but he didn't want to work and stayed in the city? or maybe he wasn't that bad in life but got corrupted?

As I still don't believe that becoming a Reaper is the only way to make some amends, for a dead sinner, in my opinion, it's unlikely that Hector had ever been working as one. Not his style, I'd think. He'd rather start building his empire the moment he learned his fate, however that is usually done (I've no idea).

It seems that he had already spent quite a long time in the LotD before the beginning of the game. Salvador said once that 'for some people, this world is all there is', hinting, as I understand it, that their working-off obligations were far too difficult to discharge (and would all the same take a long time in the LotD). I gather Hector was most probably just the samy 'bad boy' while alive as when dead. Such people never change.

Don't forget the "Was Salvador a reaper?" thread I opened some time ago, more confusing parts on the game

I remember reading that thread and thinking, 'how can they even suggest that Salvador lied?' :) Suppose I'll have to reread that discussion some day.

And what you are saying is..?

I don't remember that line, but sounds like Manny's usual sarcasm.

Nothing, I was just adding to the post.

I am certain it was not sarcasm; but it might vary with the language.

It became neglected as well? I don't remember much of 4th-year's Rubacava. I wonder, why did it become like that, then. Perhaps the town was really too dependant on the megalopolis of El/Nuevo Marrow, both in terms of new souls and subsidizing.

By the way, I wouldn't like to live in Rubacava, even in it's best days. I'd rather live in Puerto Zapato, the one I imagine .

Most of the things in the city are out of order, like the bridge and the elevator (which were more a resource to prevent the player from wasting time).

The importance of Nuevo Marrow is that the Department of Death is completely operated by crooks, if operated at all.

The fact that I couldn't get to see Zapato got me a bit mad while I was playing it :p; seemed like a nice place.

As I still don't believe that becoming a Reaper is the only way to make some amends, for a dead sinner, in my opinion, it's unlikely that Hector had ever been working as one.

Now THAT is something I never thought about.

As I still don't believe that becoming a Reaper is the only way to make some amends, for a dead sinner, in my opinion,

I agree. El MArrow, for example, is a big city and it would require all the same public services that any city in the LotL would need (city administration, building roads, collecting garbage etc). So there is probably a lot of jobs available for dead sinners to redeem themselves with. A reaper is probably the most interesting one.

El Virus

You play not in English?

Souls still would have to arrive in the LotD somehow, I wonder what was their fate with Hector as an owner of the town.

I'm sure I would be more than a little perplexed and frightened if I arrived in such an Underworld.

Yes, I also deadly wanted to see Puerto Zapato. For some reason I imagine that town as a calm, refreshing and overall nice place. And far from Hector's direct inflience. And cooler, and closer to the End of the Road.

Shuz

Uhuh, I agree. I wonder if novice Reapers take unwarranted detours in the LotL to look around, the way it appears to the dead. Though scary, the LotL is most fascinating.

You play not in English?

Indeed. I have the Spanish version. The acting is great, but some of the phrases are translated literally, on ways in which they make no sense in my language.

Souls still would have to arrive in the LotD somehow, I wonder what was their fate with Hector as an owner of the town.

That is the importance of it; with no real agents in command, more than one person wouldn't have got to the Land of the Dead, and would be doomed to eternal suffering.

I'm sure I would be more than a little perplexed and frightened if I arrived in such an Underworld.

I would be more than a little perplex and frightened if I arrived in any sort of Underworld or afterlife.

El Virus

That is the importance of it; with no real agents in command, more than one person wouldn't have got to the Land of the Dead, and would be doomed to eternal suffering.

So you think they didn't fetch new souls at all, in Nuevo Marrow? This has never crossed my mind before, it's unthinkable. I imagined they still brought newlydeads, but lied to them all without exception. Your idea... What do you think happens to a soul whom no one comes to fetch?

I would be more than a little perplex and frightened if I arrived in any sort of Underworld or afterlife.

Wouldn't you be relieved? After all, fear of death comes from the very likely possibility that there's nothing at all after you die. Never, nothing; like when you still weren't born. I, for instance, don't want to die... forever.

Your idea... What do you think happens to a soul whom no one comes to fetch?

"Bound only by the paper-thin wrappings of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free; and so it shall, thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho, and a man named Calavera."

Take the 'man named Calavera' out of the formula, and what you get is a trapped soul. He wouldn't be alive, yet still wouldn't be dead.

I do not know what this actually implies, but I cannot imagine anything worse.

Wouldn't you be relieved? After all, fear of death comes from the very likely possibility that there's nothing at all after you die. Never, nothing; like when you still weren't born. I, for instance, don't want to die... forever.

Fear of death comes from people not knowing what actually awaits.

There are many beliefs about 'what happens next', and ironically there is no way to find it out until it is already too late. Many people are religious, and most religious doctrines have an equivalent to Heaven and Hell; and the latter is what most are scared of.

Would I be relieved? I do not know. Life is said to be unfair, and I wouldn't like to have to stand it all again. But I have barely questioned the subject; the mystery is what I both, like & hate, about it.

----------

Anyway, it's late here. I'll go on to-morrow.

El Virus

I certainly remember the line about bad gazpacho.

I just thought - can souls get out of those wrappings on their own or not? I mean, do they remain lying in their place of death, or wander through the LotL, representing what we call ghosts, maybe? I suppose even with a proper supervision, sometimes there still occur mistakes in the DOD.

I don't believe in afterlife. Maybe I'd like to, but this is subconscious - I can't. I can't be sure, of course; I'm the type of person who won't entirely believe in anything until saw it with my own eyes. Also, I'm the type of person who worries in advance. So, even though it might be seen as a too young an age for such thoughts, I desperately don't want to die. Okay, life may be unfair (in my opinion, life is fair, always - perhaps some people are not), and it certainly isn't easy and constantly pleasant, but - it's beautiful and amazing. Sometimes you just need to look at the sky to feel it, and then you crave for being eternal, much like the sky itself.

----------

Anyway, it's early here. I guess I'm not really awake yet. :)

I don't believe in afterlife. Maybe I'd like to, but this is subconscious - I can't.

Same with me; it is the kind of thought I wouldn't mind believing in, but due to my nature, I am practically certain that it is impossible.

But I like to be neutral about anything that I cannot prove.

Okay, life may be unfair (in my opinion, life is fair, always - perhaps some people are not)

Incredibly, those people are ruling the world.

I do not know if 'Life' can be considered to be unfair, since it is not an entity. You can blame it on fate, or on anything else; but Humanity is the root of most, if not all, of the problems.

So, even though it might be seen as a too young an age for such thoughts, I desperately don't want to die. Okay, life may be unfair (in my opinion, life is fair, always - perhaps some people are not), and it certainly isn't easy and constantly pleasant, but - it's beautiful and amazing. Sometimes you just need to look at the sky to feel it, and then you crave for being eternal, much like the sky itself.

There's no age limit to be worried about it; same as there are young people who think about the subject, there are old ones who simply don't.

But you have a good reason to be concerned, you enjoy life, for everything it has to give, whether it is good or bad.

Life is a beautiful, yet strange, experience; unfortunately, though I recognize its attributes, I just like to see it as a phase.

While Death doesn’t preoccupy me that much, suffering definitely does.

El Virus

You know, I've never talked about afterlife with anybody who believes in it. Perhaps I'd like to listen to their thoughts on the subject. Though, I suspect, it would be hard to find actual believers here, around me; besides, that would be a great risk of running into some fanatics, whom I'm not particularly fond of.

Incredibly, [unfair] people are ruling the world.

Well, they are ruling other people; 'the world' is too big a word, fortunately.

I do not know if 'Life' can be considered to be unfair, since it is not an entity. You can blame it on fate, or on anything else; but Humanity is the root of most, if not all, of the problems.

Humanity is a complaining party, as well. Humans think too much, that's their problem.

As for Life, or Fate, or whatever, you may call it as you like - why would I blame it? In my view, it's always right, especially when you think about it a bit, impartially. There's a reason for everything, and all that... Or, more likely, it all comes down to a scapegoat's question in the end. Whether you blame 'Life', or 'Fate', or find somebody much much closer and more substential to curse for your insignificant petty misfortunes.

I'm not talking about you, of course.

There's no age limit to be worried about [death]

Oh, but there's a limit of ridiculousness in this. Maybe people shouldn't worry about that at all, it's not like their lifes' duration is in their powers to control. Didn't you just laugh at Andrei Bolkonsky's speculations about how life is 'ended at thirty-one'? At seventeen, it's even more absurd.

I remember myself crying rivers at a tender age of four, when I played with my toys all the time, that there would come a time when I wouldn't need toys any more. To my mind, it's just that - an excessive distress, nothing more.

But, well, it only means I don't live really happily, which is the main porpose of the life, in my opinion, - if I worry about 'serious matters'. A happy person (or busy, for that matter) wouldn't have the time for it.

But you have a good reason to be concerned, you enjoy life, for everything it has to give, whether it is good or bad.

Life is a beautiful, yet strange, experience; unfortunately, though I recognize its attributes, I just like to see it as a phase.

What do you mean - you mean you don't enjoy your life? And a phase of what, exactly, it is, in your opinion? You know, your 'a phase' remark sounds like Nicolas Flamel's from Harry Potter 'death is just another adventure'. What's in adventure if you can't savour it, if you'd ask me. Cheer up, senor Flores, you sound more and more like Membrillo to my ears right now.

While Death doesn’t preoccupy me that much, suffering definitely does.

(Seems I can't stop the demands for clarifying). Whose suffering, presciesly?

--------------------

And I certainly enjoy my life. As some clever man said once, you could *not* have even that.

I didn't think the DOD was closed in year 4. As you said, it must be opened so new souls can arrive. I think it was just closed because it was night, or maybe just that level was empty so the lights were off.

By the way, some phrases in the Spanish translation are bad because they are bad written in the original version. For example, when Manny talks with Maximino and he says he saw Olivia kissing Nick, Maximino says that's normal there and Manny says "I mean KISSING, Max"... but if you see, the sentence is written "I mean KISSING Max"... so, of course, in the Spanish version looks like Olivia was kissing Max :lol:

You know, I've never talked about afterlife with anybody who believes in it. Perhaps I'd like to listen to their thoughts on the subject. Though, I suspect, it would be hard to find actual believers here, around me; besides, that would be a great risk of running into some fanatics, whom I'm not particularly fond of.

I think that that is because most of the people who believe in the afterlife see the subject of Death as a taboo, and shoo you away from talking about it with them; that has happened to me, at least.

Humans think too much, that's their problem.

I agree; but that trait is what separates the Man from the animals, and what has helped us to become what we are today (whether this is good or bad, I leave it up to you).

As for Life, or Fate, or whatever, you may call it as you like - why would I blame it? In my view, it's always right, especially when you think about it a bit, impartially. There's a reason for everything, and all that... Or, more likely, it all comes down to a scapegoat's question in the end. Whether you blame 'Life', or 'Fate', or find somebody much much closer and more substential to curse for your insignificant petty misfortunes.

I wasn't talking about YOU in particular :p.

I remember myself crying rivers at a tender age of four, when I played with my toys all the time, that there would come a time when I wouldn't need toys any more. To my mind, it's just that - an excessive distress, nothing more

The same happened to me; I would play with my imagination constantly, I would always pretend I was somebody else; unfortunately, I realised one day, that I would mature and I wouldnd't be morally alowed to play with it again.

My [seldom] friends (or people I waste my time with during the school year) mock at me for my desire to grow up, and they tend to claim that I had no childhood. But deep inside me, I miss those days in which one would just play, without giving a damn about anything else (I wouldn't like to be a child again, however).

But, well, it only means I don't live really happily, which is the main porpose of the life, in my opinion, - if I worry about 'serious matters'. A happy person (or busy, for that matter) wouldn't have the time for it.

Not to get into the quasi-philosophical topics wen are discussing at another thread; but I dno't really thing life has a purpose. And even if it did, I doubt it would be happiness; being happy involves stability, which may become monotonous after a while.

I think sadness is underrated, without it, the concept of 'happiness' wouldn't exist.

I like a dose of both every once in a while, but I see to be getting more of sadness lately.

What do you mean - you mean you don't enjoy your life? And a phase of what, exactly, it is, in your opinion? You know, your 'a phase' remark sounds like Nicolas Flamel's from Harry Potter 'death is just another adventure'. What's in adventure if you can't savour it, if you'd ask me. Cheer up, senor Flores, you sound more and more like Membrillo to my ears right now.

On certain days, I don't enjoy my life at all; on others I'm comfortable with it. And I hate myself for that.

(Seems I can't stop the demands for clarifying). Whose suffering, presciesly?

I am afraid of the death of people I care for; about losing them.

What I meant with suffering was not having a sad experience; but a painful one. You know sever illnesses and stuff (I used to have a small case of hypocondriasis, when I was younger).

And I certainly enjoy my life. As some clever man said once, you could *not* have even that.

Really, whom?

By the way, some phrases in the Spanish translation are bad because they are bad written in the original version. For example, when Manny talks with Maximino and he says he saw Olivia kissing Nick, Maximino says that's normal there and Manny says "I mean KISSING, Max"... but if you see, the sentence is written "I mean KISSING Max"... so, of course, in the Spanish version looks like Olivia was kissing Max

Yes, I have noticed that. But I was talking about other things; I'll expand later.

El Virus

I've never tried to ask about afterlife any strangers; and my acquaintances, as I said above, are mostly very materialistic persons.

However, once I new a man who sincerely believed in God and that he himself had seen an angel. I'd already known him for several years (and I had thought I knew him well enough!) before he told me about his experience with supernatural beings, and, you know, while I was listening to him I believed in what he was saying, too. There was some special mesmerism about him. But after I was released from his 'spell', everything he had said seemed utterly ridiculous.

Khm, this was just a memory.

I wasn't talking about YOU in particular

This knowledge doesn't prevent me from answering about myself, though. After all, that's somebody I know best.

I realised one day, that I would mature and I wouldnd't be morally alowed to play with it again.

My [seldom] friends (or people I waste my time with during the school year) mock at me for my desire to grow up, and they tend to claim that I had no childhood. But deep inside me, I miss those days in which one would just play, without giving a damn about anything else <...>.

Yes, not giving a damn and not being required to give a damn is bliss.

Do you really want to grow up, and do you count yourself mature? I suppose you have a good reason for that. I, on my part, don't want to grow up at all, never. And, so far, I haven't, however I'm afraid this might not last long (but I surely have a chance, just look at my father: fifty-six or so years old and not much more mature than me; much more intelligent and clever, though, of course). I still pretend most of the time (a habit), and I don't feel any 'moral allowances' bounding me. But I'm a bad example.

Why do those aquaintances of yours claim you had no childhood?

Being happy involves stability, which may become monotonous after a while.

I think sadness is underrated, without it, the concept of 'happiness' wouldn't exist.

Oh, indeed. I suppose I really did mean 'stability', which you have doubts about. Allah knows, I yearn for stabilty.

Besides, 'happy life's' concept, for me, involves mostly being as much content with it's course as possible; with failures, but always something to look forward to. And good warm people around, of course. And some sort of inner harmony. Sadness will always find a way, anyway, I don't need any additional.

I like a dose of both every once in a while, but I see to be getting more of sadness lately.

Hm. Same for me - was recently, at least.

Well, the more 'sadness' you get, the more you value little simple pleasures and comfort.

-----------------------

That line about you hating yourself for 'that' - does 'that' refer to 'being comfortable with' your life?

I am afraid of the death of people I care for; about losing them.

What I meant with suffering was not having a sad experience; but a painful one.

That's good for you - worrying about people you care for, I mean. I don't think I really care about anybody but myself, as crude as that sounds.

Pain's my foremost earthly fear, so to speak, but pain is a chance, and death is a certainty. Some upper level of dread, as well.

Really, whom?

...Er, I'm not sure. It's a very common aphorism, 'don't complain of your life, you could *not* have even that'. Some comedian created it, or so I've heard.

===================

Now, my translation of GF was hideous, as I've mentioned not once before, but translating GF must be a tough task to accomplish even for the professionals, due to the excess of puns and special terms in the game.

Wow, this conversation sure had turned deep. I have no idea what to contribute without interrupting you.

I think I'll start by admitting that Charie may have been right all along. Now that I really think about it (and everybody's examples helped a lot) it sounds absurd that being a Reaper is the only way for a soul to work off his/her time. I still think it's one of the worst, if not the worst, job offered, but definitely not the only one. So you all got me there.

About afterlife, does anyone believe in reincarnation? I'm positive that I was once a dog, no matter how utterly ridiculous it may sound. Laugh if you want, I don't mind. I think reincarnation is a very soothing option. If this life is a disappointment you may do better in the next. Of course, if one is one of those people who want to believe in eternal rest it may seem like hell instead.

However, what I don't like in the idea of reincarnation is that eventually you join the world spirit and become one with everyone else. Loosing one's individuality sounds awful.

Out of interest, do either of you believe in any sort of god or higher being?

VampireNaomi

I think I'll start by admitting that Charie may have been right all along.

Oh, the balsam on my heart :).

About afterlife, does anyone believe in reincarnation? I'm positive that I was once a dog, no matter how utterly ridiculous it may sound. Laugh if you want, I don't mind.

I certainly won't laugh, if you mean this seriously - and you seem to. Why do you think you were a dog? And what kind of a dog: a slad dog, or a house-pet, or a hound, or a stray one? That's important. :rolleyes:

I neither believe nor disbelieve in reincarnation, I just like the idea. It sounds interesting. If I had some previous life, I guess it would have been only once, a long time ago, and I wouldn't have been any sentient creature. A pebble fallen in lava.

However, what I don't like in the idea of reincarnation is that eventually you join the world spirit and become one with everyone else. Loosing one's individuality sounds awful.

Is there such an idea, indeed? I think there are different concepts of reincarnation. Besides, 'loosing one's individuality' somehow contradicts the main idea, don't you think? There still must be left something of you, like a core, a basement of a soul, for reincarnation to posess some meaning. Loosing one's individual memories is different, however that is also arguable. Everything is arguable - and sort of impossible to prove - when it concerns Gods, reincarnations and other creations of idle human mind.

Out of interest, do either of you believe in any sort of god or heigher being?

What about you?

I believe in Allah. Don't have much choice here, figuratively speaking; plus, 'people believe what they want to believe', Nick got it quite right.

Why do you think you were a dog? And what kind of a dog: a slad dog, or a house-pet, or a hound, or a stray one? That's important.

I have no idea. It's just a feeling that I've had ever since I was a child. And I don't know what kind of dog I might have been either. Just a silly hunch that won't go away. :D

Is there such an idea, indeed?

In Hinduism at least, I think. The idea is that once you've lived a life good enough you can break free from the chain of being born again and again and become part of the world spirit which is what all souls crave for. Individuality is nothing but an illusion and in reality we're all part of a greater being instead of our own person.

I think there are different concepts of reincarnation.

Most likely. However, I only know the one I mentioned earlier.

What about you?

I do believe in something, but I'm not quite sure what. I call myself Christian, but I don't think I'm a true one. I'm sure there is God, in some form at least.

I believe in Allah. Don't have much choice here, figuratively speaking; plus, 'people believe what they want to believe', Nick got it quite right.

Really? Why do you think you have no choice? Family pressures or something else? You're the first person who I've met who believes in Allah, online or real life. Then again, I don't really see a difference between Him and the God Christians and Jews believe in.

EDIT: El Virus, the delete option should be the first thing you see when you try to edit a message. If that still doesn't work for you, I can delete the double post, if you want.

Archived