Home

Monkey Island 1 (Madness) & music

jp-30

Hi All,

Just about to go on a LEC SCUMM adventure bender (MI 1, 2, 3, DOTT, Dig, Sam & Max. Maybe even Grim & MI4 if I'm still up for it).

Installed SCUMMVM & Q+E (and VDMS + Q + E)

All's fine on all games except MI1 from the "MI Madness" CD. I only get sound effects (parrot squawking etc) and no iMuse / incidental music / background music / theme music.

Now, before I go on a configuration trial & error spree, I thought I'd best check that Secret of Monkey Island does indeed have background music. I don't see any iMUSE reference in the manual of MI1, so maybe the game was a whole lot quieter than I remember.

So, is there MI1 music I should be trying to wrestle from my PC?

If you don't get *any* music in MI1, then something's up. It does have considerably less music than you're probably used to, with the majority of Melee Island being completely silent. Various places such as the Scumm Bar, map overview, church, etc should have music though.

No, no music at all. I get music fine in MI2, Dig, DOTT, Sam & Max - just not in MI1. :(

Ahh well, I'll keep playing with the settings in Q+E and in Scumm VM standalone (and in VDMS) and see if I can't figure this out.

Monkey Island 1 from the MI Madness compilation does indeed use CD Audio tracks for background music (and background sounds such as bird song in the forest and at the docks).

As far as I remember, Monkey Island Madness runs smoothly under Windows XP without ScummVM, but I could be wrong. Been a long time since I played it.

Originally posted by cappuchok

As far as I remember, Monkey Island Madness runs smoothly under Windows XP without ScummVM, but I could be wrong. Been a long time since I played it.

You're wrong :) You can get it to run with VDMSound though.

Thanks for the CD tipoff. Though just tried it again with the disc in, using ScummVM and VDMS (and trying pointing direct to the CD Drive instead of the HDD directory I copies the files to), and neither had any music. :(

Thanks for the help though, and I'll keep trying.

Also, anyone know why The Dig (which I'm playing for the very first time after recently finding the CD at a pawn shop for $2), via ScummVM & Q+E would dump me to the desktop randomly about every 4 minutes or so (different locations & actions triggering the crash every time)?

As long as I save every minute or two I can get back to my previous spot within about 30 seconds, but it's still bloody annoying.

If you're using ScummVM Q+E:

First click 'daily build' to get the latest build of ScummVM.

If you want to hear the cd music, make sure the cd's in and choose which drive its in from the 'cd drive' combo box (bottom left). You can also rip those tracks to mp3's if you dont want the cd in - read the scummvm readme for more.

Thanks Benny. I'll try the daily build thing. And I'd rip to MP3, except I can't seem to 'see' the audio tracks with iTunes.

I had looked back 1 year on this forum before I posted, but last night I went back to the beginning and saw several threads regarding music & MI1 from Madness. :)

Are there random stability issues with The Dig?

Ahh. Brilliant, thank-you TP2001. That works a treat, and the Amiga music is great.

I think I found my Dig problem too. The download of ScummVM from the Q + E site points to the unstable latest build 0.7.0CVS, which is what I downloaded & installed. Hopefully things will be nice & stable with 0.6.1b.

I'm a bit sad to see my last 2 days worth of savegames are incompatible though.

So, abandoning the Dig (temporarily) to replay my newly musical "Secret of MI".

Thanks again for the help everyone. :)

I have done that. I'm just a bit bummed I lost 3 days worth of The Dig savegames. Still, I guess it will only take a couple of hours to get back to the same point.

Might I suggest the link to scummvm on the Q+E downloads page link to the the last stable release 0.6.1b rather than the unstable 0.7.0?

Archived