Home

Pipe Smoking Dangerous or Not?

yaebginn

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by yaebginn

InsaneSith- What are the attributes exactly? It isnt the best for the job, and when the doctors offered to use it for patients, but take outthe THC, the peopel said ,'No, No' provingthe only reason they wanted it was to get high, not for any medical reason. And it doesnt reduce all the risks. It still makes u nuts. and I read somewhere that it does something to your boys. I'm talking downtown. and pipe smoke does have good attributes. People who smoke pipes have a longer life expectantcy. booyah!

What kind of 5th grade argument is that? "Booyah"?

Pipe tobacco contains exactly the same stuff as cigarette tobacco, the only difference is in the delivery system. Carcinogens, tar, nicotine, you name it. It is a drug, there is zero nutritional content in tobacco, it does not make you live till you're 105.

If it's such a casual thing for you, I suggest you stop smoking anyway.

The study you linked us to didn't actually link to the study, it just made a REFERENCE to a study that came out in 1979, but doesn't even say who did the study or what kind of cross-section of the population was taken, how many subjects, and what the control group was, did it take into account chance deviation, etc. In essence, you've given one example that may or may not be correct, while being shown many examples of you NOT being correct.

Unless you are smoking it while unattending it, it wont start a fire.

No offense, but I couldn't gather anything that made a shred of sense from that statement. It's like saying you can't crash a car unless you're driving it while it's unattended. Or something.

et, it gavce just as much proof as you peoples links. and capn, the guy posted somethign about it causing fires. only cigs can do that. pipes dont stay lit unless you are constantly puffing it. and cjais, I dont throw a party everytime I smoke, but I dont do it regularly.

Are you trying to justify yourself somehow? Are you insecure in your pipe-smoking ways? Every single shread of proof that has been given to you has been followed by a rant about how pot is bad, which is not even relevant to what you were asking, as InsaneSith made a casual joke about it and you blew up on him. Leave the pot arguement alone man, that's not what you made this thread about.

I don't see why you made this thread, because you are completely ignoring whatever facts (not theories, facts) that are thrown your way.

Researchers analyzed 705 individuals ranging in age from 21 to 92 years old, and found that 17.6 percent of current or former cigar or pipe smokers had moderate to severe periodontitis - nearly three times the percent of non-smokers. In addition, they averaged four missing teeth. For each given tobacco product, current smokers were defined as individuals who smoke daily.

Link

Nicotine, one of more than 4,000 chemicals found in the smoke from tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, is the primary component in tobacco that acts on the brain...

Cigar and pipe smokers, on the other hand, typically do not inhale the smoke, so nicotine is absorbed more slowly through the mucosal membranes of their mouths. Nicotine from smokeless tobacco also is absorbed through the mucosal membranes...

Most smokers use tobacco regularly because they are addicted to nicotine. Addiction is characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and use, even in the face of negative health consequences, and tobacco use certainly fits the description. It is well documented that most smokers identify tobacco as harmful and express a desire to reduce or stop using it, and nearly 35 million of them make a serious attempt to quit each year. Unfortunately, less than 7 percent of those who try to quit on their own achieve more than 1 year of abstinence; most relapse within a few days of attempting to quit.

Link

So, yes pipes have nicotine, and yes it is addictive. And even though it gets absorbed more slowly, IT STILL HAS NICOTINE.

In Lost World (just started that) The guy who builds vehicles for the expedition hates theories.

Ahh.. a fictional character. They're nice.

I am in agreement with him. Theories are often wrong.

But always supported by testable hypotheses. And more often than not, "theories" are merely updated as technology and research improves. In other words, they aren't necessarily "wrong" so much as they are incomplete. Newton's theory of gravity for instance. Einstein came along and greatly expounded upon Newton's work, but that doesn't negate the importance of gravity nor Newton's observations.

and I thought nicotine was the thing that makes it addictive, cause pipe smoke isnt addictive.

Actually, when speaking of "addiction," there are many factors other than the chemicals in the substance. Chemicals created in the brain also create addictions to outside influences. Think Gamblers Anonymous. Seratonin is nature's crack. But nicotine is probably the principle addictive agent in Nicotiana tobacum, otherwise known as tobacco. The reason why pipe and cigar smokers don't get as addicted as cigarette smokers is because they inhale less frequently.

Unless they are cigarette smokers who are trying to quit. Unfortunately, these smokers have a habit of inhaling and usually continue it to the pipe or cigar. I have a preference for fine cigars, myself, and have since 1986. My trick to avoid addiction: only smoke the most expensive brands. Well... nothing under $7 / cigar that is. Box cut CAO's are my current favorites.

But I don't kid myself that these are healthy and I typically use copious amounts of Lysterine and toothpaste on the days I choose to smoke one, which is about once or twice every month or two.

and all you guys are showing me is theories, speculation. No actual proof. The only study I've actual seen about pipe smoke was a whiel ago and that said that pipe smokers have a longer life expectantcy.

First, I offered you a set of empirical data that are very conclusive. A five-fold increase in the risk of oral cancer is a serious risk. I wouldn't drive on a street that demonstrated a five-fold increase in traffic accident deaths. Nor would I swim at a beach with a five-fold increase in shark attacks.

and its only illegal to buy, not smoke if under 18.

In most states, it's also illegal for any adult over 18 who isn't a parent to provide tobacco to children. Florida, however (Florida Statutes, 2004) makes it a criminal offense not only to sell tobacco products to children, but for children to posses tobacco products.

and the kids you say you work with, skinwalker, have convinced in their minds that its ok. Drugs do that to you. Alter your mind. What mind-altering does pipe smoke do exactly?

I'm thinking that you don't smoke it in a desolate field somewhere, but rather among peers to whom you desire to present an image you have of yourself. Whether that's the same image that perceive is another matter entirely and beside the point, but the mind is altered, albeit through its own devices and not directly from the tobacco. The same is true for most teens that use various drugs. They wish to present an image of manhood and "being down." The high they get is the secondary alteration since the former had to occur first. Afterall, it often takes repeated use of a drug to become addicted.

My oddness comes straight from me noggin'.

Then we are in agreement :cool:

comparing the two is like comparing apples and a wooden rocking chair.

Only because you wish it not to be true.

they are both came from a living thing. they were/are plants. but in reality, they are very little alike.

The differences are there to be sure. But the motivations are much the same, at least initially.

I think if you choose to continue smoking a pipe, you must ask yourself a few questions: what does it add to my life really?; did I really want to know if their were actually health concerns, or did I actually want a creative way to let my LucasForums pals know I smoke a pipe? If all I like if for is the taste, wouldn't some sugarfree gum be a better choice? Do I really want to risk a 5-fold increase in oral cancer for the next 6 or 8 decades of my life, or would the risk be more acceptable in the last 3?

But in the end, if you want to smoke... by all means, knock yourself out. The thread you started was asking opinions as to whether pipe tobacco is dangerous or not. Whether or not it's dangerous isn't really a matter of opinion, its one of cited fact. The so-called study you noted is pure pseduoscience. The alleged "Dr. Beale" (the credentials of whom are conveniently absent) quotes an alleged "Sweedish study," yet offers no citation to the peer reviewed or primary source.

The post I offered above is directly from a primary source and the citation to the peer-reviewed article is offered.

In the face of such evidence, those that continue to ignore the warnings and go on believing that any form of tobacco can add to the life expectancy of someone, deserves whatever cancer comes their way. Nay, society deserves whatever cancer comes their way. Because if it can occur early enough in the smoker's life, then perhaps the gene pool can be cleansed.

Please note, I'm referring to "Dr. Beale" in the paragraph above. :cool:

Reference:

Florida Statutes (2004) Title XXXIV Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, Chapter 569.11.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

It should me made into one of the LF emoticons, then you could just type :ET: and it would insert that statement :D

step 1: ET.gif

step 2: have sex withfind an admin who's adding the result of step 1 to the emoticons

step 3: keep making *cough*smartass*cough* comments, so people will use it

plan b: just add it to the forum banner

plan c: making it interactive so people can dis-/agree

;D

skin, no one has showed me actual results from any of those theories or tests or whatnot. and cigars, ae more dangerous, according to your peoples links, then pipes. and actually, I do do it in a desolate place. Pipes arent like ciggerettes or anything. You dont go down to a back alley, looking all tough, then remove ur pipe and bag of tobacco and go 'Got a light?' They are more dignified. Its common to smoke a pipe alone. I started this thread to get proof that is was bad for me. all your showing is theories. It all depends on how many bowls u smoke a day, how insulated ur enviroment is, how deep you breath in. I dont inhale it. I can suck in air, and hold it in my mouth without it getting into my lungs. Its called holding my breath. I can do it with water, too. Why not with smoke? someone please show me some real evidence. The stats say like,' every 1 in 6 or whatever smoke ciggerettes' I know six people, none of them smoke. stats are often misleading.

Originally posted by RayJones

you blow the smoke into the air while smoking. if this happens within 4 walls (err.. a room?) it's very possible you actually inhale it anyways. and this 'cold smoke' is even more 'dangerous' ..

pay attention please. I've said at least twice that I do it on a porch. With plenty of insulation. not wthin walls. more of a deck. no walls at all, save for right behind me.

zdog, darnit, I thought it was original, oh well, time to change it. and ok, I know 36 people. none of them smoke. its all based on different people. they state it so loosely, yet its inaccurate. they are misleading. now ot change my location.

zdog, darnit, I thought it was original, oh well, time to change it. and ok, I know 36 people. none of them smoke. its all based on different people. they state it so loosely, yet its inaccurate. they are misleading. now ot change my location.

That's not the point really. I'd hope you would know 36 people that don't smoke. But you need to take more than 36 random people, and then make the conclusion. Doing it more than once also helps.

lets in this case take 72, and say that only 12 of them do... we can keep uping the number untill you get the point yae.

lets go 144, with 24 who smoke... 288, minus 48, which would mean you know 240 people who dont smoke.

is my point clear enough? statisics work, you just view them wrong.

pay attention please. I've said at least twice that I do it on a porch. With plenty of insulation. not wthin walls. more of a deck. no walls at all, save for right behind me.

pay attention for yourself, please. as you may have noticed, i used the little word "if", means: maybe you don't do it always at the same location.. :dozey:

yaeb, 1 in 6. That means if you have 6 billion people, then 1 billion of them are the 1 in 6. Which means you can know 5 billion people, and only a few of them may be the 1 billion that smoke. See what I'm saying?

You're looking at the statistics all wrong. It's not that they're spaced evenly all over the world. There are places where it's more concentrated and places where there might only be one person in an entire town who smokes. It's not all picture perfect spacing like you think it is.

Archived