Home

Pipe Smoking Dangerous or Not?

yaebginn

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nö. for those who do it, there is a x-times higher risk of "obtaining" smoking related deseases. x depends of how often it is done and what is smoked. but that mustn't mean something and some are just immunized anyways. anything else? no? thread solved. move on.

Originally posted by yaebginn

Pipe smoking is theoretically dangerous, though not to a fatal degree. The benefits balance out or exceed the risks.

NO. Just like everyone has been saying...If you get cancer and DIE, it is fatally dangerous.

And what exactly are the benefits to smoking?

Dangerous to a FATAL degree. stupid isnt fatal. I'll state it now so any idiot can understand it

Dangerous like you're going to get hit by a bus if you smoke pipes? NO.

Dangerous like you're increasing your risk of throat, mouth and lung cancer if you smoke pipes? Yes.

There. Answered.

Pipe smoking is theoretically dangerous, though not to a fatal degree.

And you concluded this through your clinical test that you conducted after getting your PhD? Oh no, that's what the guys who decided that it IS dangerous and probably fatal did.

Pipe smoking is dangerous in that it increases your risks of getting cancer. Cancer is a disease that we are currently unable to cure with any consistancy and if uncured is nearly ALWAYS fatal. ERGO, pipe smoking is dangerous to your health to a fatal degree.

I do have a PHD.

Fantastic, what was your field of study? Human physiology? And did you conduct clinical tests to prove your hypothesis of pipe smoking not being able to kill you?

I'm going to assume you don't mean PhD as in, an actual doctorate aquired from a university, since you have in fact admitted that you haven't yet attended college in another thread in the Sliced TaunTaun. :dozey:

Originally posted by Tyrion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't he have gone to a medical school to get his PHD, instead of going to an actual college per-say?

You don't go straight to medical school from high school. You attend a regular college or university and major in something like Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, etc.

benefits? i missed the part where you mentioned any benefits (except smelling nice :D )

Just cos the risks are less than smoking cigs doesn't mean it has benefits.

Dangerous to a fatal degree means what exactly?

"Certain to kill you"?

If you are using that definition then bullets aren't "Dangerous to a fatal degree", poison isn't "Dangerous to a fatal degree", cancer isn't "Dangerous to a fatal degree".

"May kill you"?

By that definition it is "Dangerous to a fatal degree".

It may not kill you directly (eg, you don't die of the pipe or the tobacco), you die of the diseases caused by the damage doe by the pipe and tobacco. It still may kill you.

Of course, it may not kill you, but it WILL increase your chance of getting cancer. Hmmm shouldn't be a tricky choice for someone with a PHD... :D

The point of my statement was thatI could be anything, and you couldnt disprove me. Its online. ET could be a monkey, I could be a PHD, skinwalker could be John Kerry. Its online, nothing can be used for or against someone personally. That was the point of it. and for benefits, check the link I posted b4.

Well, yaeb, I've trumped you. You may have a doctorate in philosophy, which doesn't exactly authorize you to pass solid medical judgement on anything. But I have a doctorate in medicine. (see the avvie for proof)

Therefore I win, since I'm a doctor and can pass any sort of judgement on anyone I wish.

:joy:

The point of my statement was thatI could be anything, and you couldnt disprove me.

For those interested, this could be construed as a brief block of instruction on the importance of citations as well as the definition of Primary/Peer-reviewed literature.

If you would've cited a primary source, I would have believed you.

But there are many other mitigating factors that gave consistent indication that you did not possess a Ph.D.

1) You referred to it as "PHD" rather than capitalizing appropriately or making appropriate use of the periods.

2) Only colleges (inclusive of the term University) offer accredited Ph.D.'s

3) You use internet-speak, i.e. ur instead of "you're" or "your." One with a Ph.D. would likely have some typing skills or grammatical habits that would prevent their arbitrary and habitual use of this vernacular.

4) The amygdala of a Ph.D. is typically more developed than that of someone who "carries many weaponms" (sic) on him "at all times. :cool:

I don't think you have really grasped what I was referring to in this and previous posts when I mentioned "primary sources" and literature or "peer-reviewed" sources.

These are the types of articles that you would find in specialized journals, i.e. the journals Science or Nature and are reviewed by the authors' peers -that is to say others that are prefessionals in the same fields of study. If the articles, studies, or findings are bogas or baloney (as was the case with the information you cited on the pseudoscience site), then the peers will be bluntly critical. This includes tests of hypotheses that cannot be duplicated by others who read the papers.

The journal article I cited is freely available to many libraries that subscribe to journal databases via the internet. Moreover, the article comes complete with a list of citations that support information and give source to information presented in the article itself. That helps make it clear that the article was created using availble data rather than made up data, and also offers additional sources of information for those doing related or continued research.

The site you provided, however, only made a passing mention to a "sweedish study" and did not offer even a modest citation to support its conclusions.

In the end, it's credibility that is in question. Credibility can be demonstrated via the internet, particularly if citations are provided to support data.

As an example of how citations can be used, and to read a really interesting paper on "The Religious Characteristics of the UFO/Extraterrestrial Movement," go to this link. The citations are at the end. http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ectfeagans/uforeligion.htm

cheers

Archived