Home

Pipe Smoking Dangerous or Not?

yaebginn

impossible to think about the possibility he really thought us to believe it.. nee. but according to the "japan affair", i'd assume he really believes it for himself.

funny how everytime when he's stuck in an argument, he tries to get out of it by throwing random phrases in, so the original topic is being pushed away. so many posts only because of that phd remark.

btw.. b.s.meter?

oh, and dogue nine, eh? fascinating.. any advice concerning pantee addiction?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RayJones- I always throw around random phrases, why should this be any different. and I showed you a link, I didnt make the site, so the site should be treated seriously, because it is an actual site.

ckcsaber- thanx, your kind words mean alot (sarcasm)

skinwalker- you're getting gummed up in your old age. For one, all your 'points' were based on theories (once again) Its only theoretical that a PHD wouldnt do those things. Everyone is different.

insansesith- no it wasnt a good point, for reasons I addressed first. and I dont care what you appreciate. who said I was mocking you? I was making a point. Originally, actually, I was just spouting sutff. But then when I saw you guys were (for lack of a word that wont offend) gullible enoguh to take the bait, I ran with it. Thats pretty pathetic on your part.

RayJones, I simply let loose a random comment. If you wanna get back on topic lets do it.

You guys have refused to show me any real proof. Just basic theories and hypothesis. I have showed you an actual site that has showed you how the benefits outweigh the risks. If the speculation were true, then it'd be a different matter, but its not. I know several people who smoke pipes, and have for years. They are very healthy people as of now. Show me some proof, people.

Originally posted by yaebginn

RayJones- I always throw around random phrases, why should this be any different. and I showed you a link, I didnt make the site, so the site should be treated seriously, because it is an actual site.

and i would assume this site (and the "article" on it) is actually made by a person? and i'v just learned i cannot trust persons on the internet? or do you say that if you would have made a site which says you're a phd, it would have been trustable?

oh and i don't think anyone took the bait..

You guys have refused to show me any real proof. Just basic theories and hypothesis. I have showed you an actual site that has showed you how the benefits outweigh the risks. If the speculation were true, then it'd be a different matter, but its not. I know several people who smoke pipes, and have for years. They are very healthy people as of now. Show me some proof, people.

Dear Lord! For creation's sake will you?%!?&% stop being such a hard headed...argh...

Sorry about that.

Now seriously, people have been showing you proofs for 3 pages now yet you've rejected them all. Do we have to dig up the corpse of someone who died because of pipe smoking, making him live again just to tell you that it increases your chances of getting diseases?

So you're saying all those people who died of lung cancer and happen to smoke cigarettes are nothing but theories?

A simple coincidence?

They've pointed them out clear, this is a matter everyone knows about, even people who smoke(except for you it seems). They know it's harmful but do it anyway. It's the first time in my lifetime that I actually hear someone saying smoking is good for your physical health.

yeabginn, tell us what proof you'd accept as "qualified" to be a proof?

also, yes, i am well aware that according to that "warped logic" "my" site cant be trusted like yours cant, and then your "links" are untrue as you say ours are.

but then again, i'd refer to skinwalkers post.

but, yeabginn, it's not only about "dying" from it. mostly it's about health risks. cancer, losing a leg, weakened immune system etc..

dying is what you do anyways, who cares about a year more or less? it's mostly that i don't want to live 10 years with only the half of my lungs.

read the rest of the thread please, or even the title, we are talking about pipes. cigaretes I know are bad for people. thats why I dont smoke cigarettes.

I did read the entire thread. I do that before I post. You still smoke tobacco. It's still harmful.

From QuitSmokingSupport Site:

Cigar and pipe smoking, although they present some hazards to health, are thought to be less dangerous to health than cigarette smoking.

Only thought to be less dangerous yet no true proof. They don't say it's healthy neither.

QuitSmokingSupport

I encountered this and it put a smile on my face:

Mixtures for Loose Pipes

Note that at all products they put:

SMOKING KILLS

Oh a study here:

BBC News "Smokin a pipe damages health"

More:

Pipe Smoking is Very Dangerous

ok, then it doesnt apply to me. I smoke outside. plenty of insulation. and it still said risk. its all risk and theories. no definite or even actual examples. and I didnt say its healthy, I said some studies said that it the life expentancy was greater for those who smoked pipes. thats theories and guessing, too. show me some proof people.

show me some proof people.

There IS no proof for you. You have routinely ignored every single scrap of evidence that we have shown you, and brushed them off as theories. You refuse to acknowledge that DOCTORS whose job it is to study these things have concluded that it is in fact unhealthy for you. Period. There is no health benefit to smoking, all it does it bad.

insansesith- no it wasnt a good point, for reasons I addressed first. and I dont care what you appreciate. who said I was mocking you? I was making a point. Originally, actually, I was just spouting sutff. But then when I saw you guys were (for lack of a word that wont offend) gullible enoguh to take the bait, I ran with it. Thats pretty pathetic on your part

yes, gullable, that's why none of us fell for your "Ph.D" crap. You were mocking us and the entire senates existence by pulling such childish crap.

randomly spouting stuff is not allowed in these forums either. This is for SERIOUS discussion. If you refuse to accept scientific facts we present I suggest you no longer make threads or come to this forum.

InsaneSith- If you arent going to contribute to the debate, leave.

He has contributed more than you have Yaebginn. Your side of the debate is not debate so much as it is you have simply said "Nope, not fact, just theory"

So fine, it's just a theory. But it's a theory that is so supported by evidence it may as well be accepted as fact. :dozey:

OH MY GOD SHOOT ME NOW!!!

Why are you being so hard headed?!?!?! Your definition of what's a "theory" and what's not rules EVERYTHING in textbooks and the internet FICTION.

So the Earth being round is a THEORY? So the exact acceleration of gravity without air resistance (being 9.80 m/s/s) is a THEORY? So running places gets you faster than walking there is a THEORY? Those are all FACTS, yet you are calling EVERYTHING in the WORLD a theory pretty much. Your definition of a theory is ridiculous.

Oh, and your "PHD" statement didn't prove a thing because we all KNEW that you didn't have one. For one thing, your grasp of grammar and spelling is clearly a thing to be ashamed of. For one thing, it's "you're" not "ur." And "your" is not spelled "ur" either. Also, someone with a Ph.D. would know that proper sentences begin with a capital letter. That is, if you wrote a thesis. And writing a thesis with "ur" and no capitalization would get you a failing grade. And a Ph.D. without going to college or pre-med school? Very nice accomplishment. To bad it can't be done. See, your "experiment" didn't do anything, it just proved to us that you are most likely a kid who hasn't even graduated from high school who's parents let you smoke pipes because of their negligence of the actual, factual health risks.

and it still said risk. its all risk and theories.

WOW. Just WOW. So, you're telling me that if I go swimming in a tank full of man-eating great white sharks while bleeding from my body there is just a risk that I could get severly mauled or killed by the sharks? No way... sharks only have the best olfactory sense in the world and can smell blood from over two miles away. They would kill me. Instantly. Because of the blood coming from me. That is a fact, yet there is still a risk of me getting in the tank. The risk is, if I get in, I get killed. So, I decide to get in and take that risk. I get killed. Oh whoops, I just proved your risk theory wrong. See what I mean?

Read all the proof that we have given you. If you want, I can get someone with a Ph.D. in health and medicine to phone you up personally and tell you that pipe smoking gives a higher risk of cancer. (And remember, I just utterly destroyed your risk idea. Utterly.)

If you want "hardcore" proof, as you call it, schedule an appointment with a morgue, hospital or lab and I'm sure they would be glad to show you two exhibits.

Exhibit A). A non-smokers lung.

Exhibit B). A smokers lung. (From cigs, pipes, cigars. You name it, they'll show it to you.)

Trust me, you will see an immediate difference. And it should be so graphic that you never need "hardcore" proof again.

And please, don't mock our intelligence with silly comments like, "i have PHD n00b! lOL i R0x0r5!!! ur all stupid!!!" (And I know I exaggerated, but that is exactly how your statement looked to us.)

Originally said by Epidemiologist Jane Henley

The significant risks we found should leave no doubt that all tobacco products cause disease and death.

Taken from This article. Now, I know you don't believe in science, but I'd just like to point out, that she's an Epidemiologist.

And, just incase you don't feel like taking the time to check that link, an epidemiologist is someone in the branch of medicine that deals with the study of the causes, distribution, and control of disease in populations. Meaning her life is DEVOTED to studying disease in humans. And her opinion on pipe smoking carries a LOT more weight than YOUR opinion, seeing as how her opinion is based off of a study of fifteen THOUSAND people.

I said some studies said that it the life expentancy was greater for those who smoked pipes.

come on, you do realize that those studies you talk about are just "theories" too? why should your "studies" be more true than those of the others? yet you havent shown us one single proof you like to talk about so much.. show us some proof! and dont say "i posted a link". we did, too. and dont say "you just have theories", yours is only a theory, either.

maybe you know someone, who should be dead already, but hasnt because he smokes pipe? the clou would be if you can show us somebody with a knife through his heart but who has no problems with it because he's a pipe smoker.

there is NO PROOF that can possibly meet yaebginn's standards. He appears to be a slightly mixed up kid with a lack of understanding of how science, medicine and the world works... plus a real lack of understanding of what a "theory" is.

Showing that, over a large number of people, pipe smokers have a much higher risk of getting cancer than none pipe smokers is a highly relevant and persuasive FACT... not a theory.

Showing an example of a single person who died from pipe smoking would prove nothing at all.

I'm sure you could find an example of a single person who died from chewing on a biro if you looked hard enough :rolleyes: . BUT (i'll try and spell it out simply) this wouldn't prove anything about the risks of biro chewing.

You can find odd instances of people who have been shot point-blank in the forehead and lived, but these individual cases wouldn't prove that being shot in the head didn't kill you.

Each of these would likely be a statistical anomaly (ie.. very flukey). In order to find out the actual risks you would need to look at LOTS and LOTS of cases (of peole chewing biros or being shot in the head) and see how many of them died. If your "single person proof" turned out to be the ONLY one in that group then they wouldn't have proved anything.

Get it? I really hope so...

Oddly, you seem to accept that cigarette smoking isbad for you, but by your standards there is no "proof" of this either... so why not just smoke cigarettes???

Originally posted by RayJones

come on, you do realize that those studies you talk about are just "theories" too?

it is a theory, and carries abourt as much weight as what you've shown me. Here, I'll do some of my own research, cause you guys are no help. I'll call up a doctor info hotline or whatever.

Showing that, over a large number of people, pipe smokers have a much higher risk of getting cancer than none pipe smokers is a highly relevant and persuasive FACT... not a theory.
that IS a fact. I admit. bvut its still risk. Its a fact,. that the RISK is greater. but the risk still isnt definite. very few pipe smokers die before the average age from cancer. Some people I know have heart problems in their genes. Their great grandfather died before 60, his grandfather b4 60, father b4 60, and so on. That doesnt mean anything to do with smoking a pipe. Thats heart stuff, and its gene carried, more or less. but the people I know who smoke pipes are very healthy and strong and are doing fine, medical wise. The only thing is, when you smoke a pipe, follow the tips listed in the link I provided.

it is a theory, and carries abourt as much weight as what you've shown me.

tse. that was exactly what i said!

also, where is your proof that you and your "studies" are right?

Here, I'll do some of my own research, cause you guys are no help. I'll call up a doctor info hotline or whatever.

and what do you expect the doc to say?

that IS a fact. I admit. bvut its still risk. Its a fact,. that the RISK is greater. but the risk still isnt definite. very few pipe smokers die before the average age from cancer. Some people I know have heart problems in their genes. Their great grandfather died before 60, his grandfather b4 60, father b4 60, and so on. That doesnt mean anything to do with smoking a pipe. Thats heart stuff, and its gene carried, more or less. but the people I know who smoke pipes are very healthy and strong and are doing fine, medical wise. The only thing is, when you smoke a pipe, follow the tips listed in the link I provided.

Go jump out of a plane without a parachute. Sure there's a risk that you might die horribly, but you could also land on one of those inflatable fun houses.

Pipe smoking won't effect your heart health, however there's a good chance that your lips will become cancerous due to the nictotine contact.

Archived