Home

Pipe Smoking Dangerous or Not?

yaebginn

even if u landed on a funhouse, ud die. but that depends on the altitude, the speed of the plane, the amount of funhouses currently inflated in your area. and that example wasnt valid. the chancesof that are way different. pipe smoke, there is a small chance.

rayjones- Iam not sure, I'll keep an open mind.

EDIT- and the experts arent always right.

from a warning label on my keyboard- warning some experts belive that use of any keyboard may cause serious injury.

hmm, if the experts say it, it must be true.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by yaebginn

even if u landed on a funhouse, ud die. but that depends on the altitude, the speed of the plane, the amount of funhouses currently inflated in your area. and that example wasnt valid. the chancesof that are way different. pipe smoke, there is a small chance.

That's my point; it's still dangerous. You asked us if Pipe Smoking is dangerous, and we've told you yes it is. We've told you that although the risk of getting cancer in the lips isn't high, you can still get it.

from a warning label on my keyboard- warning some experts belive that use of any keyboard may cause serious injury.

hmm, if the experts say it, it must be true.

And those experts are running off the data that shows prolonged use of keyboards greatly increases your risks of aquiring Carpal Tunnel (sp?) syndrome, which is a very painful problem.

pipe smoke, there is a small chance.

You think

30 percent higher risk of heart disease, a 27 percent higher risk of stroke and nearly triple the risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease compared to non-smokers.
is a small chance? So you're saying that if you had a choice between taking a path through the mountains where there is a 2% chance of getting mauled by a mountain lion and taking a path where there is a 32% chance of getting mauled by a mountain lion, you'd have no problem choosing the second path? because it's not that big of a difference?

Or since there is a 5 fold increase in your chances of getting lung cancer, lets say there's a road that has a 10% instance of car crashes, approximately 1 out of every 10 cars the drive it have a wreck. That's pretty bad, but aNOTHER road has a 50% instance of car wrecks. On out of ever 2 cars have a wreck. The chances aren't small.

What the? You do understand that was just an analogy? You can't kill cancer or heart disease if you get them. You MIGHT be able to fend them off for awhile with the help of modern medicine, but it's going to suck and eventually they're going to kill you anyways.

So lets say it's an automated turret on this path, that will fire at 32% of the hikers. This turret has a 64% accuracy (Average death rate of people with cancer). Thusly, you have a 22.2% chance of dying while taking this other path. The first path has the same gun with the same accuracy, yielding a 1.3% chance of death. Yet you would still choose the second path because it has a better view?

Edit - and the numbers are actually worse than that, I'm giving you the 64% rate which is the average of all cancer, while Lung cancer is actually up around an 80% mortality rate.

rayjones- Iam not sure, I'll keep an open mind.

EDIT- and the experts arent always right.

i know. you kept an open mind for the last three pages.

and surely the experts arent always right. especially if they dont say what you want to hear.

again, prove that pipe smoking gives extra lifetime!

Originally posted by RayJones

come on, you do realize that those studies you talk about are just "theories" too?

Actually, they are not "theories" in the strict sense of the word as they are not supported by tested hypotheses. His information is pseudoscience. It clothes itself in the vernacular of science, but gives false information without providing successful or reproducible test.

Pseudoscience is easily believed by the gullible and the ignorant.

If that path had a possibility of making me live longer if I get past it, yes. I can jink and juke and hide in bushes to get next to it, then take it apart with my multitool. then go on and live longer because pipe smoke has a theory of longer living, too. skin, they are facts of theories. its a fact that there is a risk of cancer. a minor risk. and et, ur example is invalid, because this is from pipe smoking, not regular cigarette cmoking or whatever.

It's called an analogy Yaebginn. It doesn't matter how much you jink and jive, 22.2% of the time that gun will shoot you dead. Period.

Pipe smokings theory of longevity is not supported by TESTS and EXPERIMENTS though.

And no, my point is very valid, because we have shown studies have concluded that you have increase risks of lung cancer by 5 times by smoking a pipe. I checked the statistics at http://www.cancer.org, and statistically over 80% of people who aquire lung cancer die of it. This means that if you naturally had a 5% chance of getting lung cancer in your life (a fairly reasonable percentage) Then you have a 4% chance of dying of lung cancer in your life. If you smoke a PIPE, you have a 20% chance of dying of lung cancer. Why is the mathematics of this so difficult to comprehend?

Cigar and Pipe smoking are as dangerous as cigarette smoking

Cigar and pipe smoking are as dangerous as cigarettes to periodontal health.

“Cigarette, cigar and pipe smokers all had a much higher prevalence of moderate and severe periodontitis compared to former smokers and non-smokers,” explained Jasim Albandar, D.D.S., Ph.D., professor of periodontology at Temple University School of Dentistry and lead researcher of the study. “Research also indicated that there was a correlation with the number of missing teeth with the current, former and non-smokers having 5.1, 3.9 and 2.8 missing teeth, respectively.”

how did they lose those teeth? did it say? maybe they got into a fight. and my link did have a study. it said they took two pairs of twins. one pair smoked a pipe, the other did not. the pipe smoking twins lived longer.

Another Link

this says that your guy's theories only apply to people who smoke alot a day (more than two or three bowls a day. Meaning that all your facts and stuff only apply to heavy smokers.

how did they lose those teeth? did it say? maybe they got into a fight. and my link did have a study. it said they took two pairs of twins. one pair smoked a pipe, the other did not. the pipe smoking twins lived longer.

Another Link

this says that your guy's theories only apply to people who smoke alot a day (more than two or three bowls a day. Meaning that all your facts and stuff only apply to heavy smokers.

read the article. And personally I'd trust a professional over some wacked out "freedom fighter". *giggles* I find it funny you choose that guy, since he supports marijuana leglaization AND is pro-drug. also appears to have very anti-government sentiments. *shrugs*

Periodontitis

"Smoking is smelly and unhealthy. We should be considerate of others in all that we do, keeping in mind our company and our surroundings."

On the money.

"At the same time, moderate smoking is not harmful, can be quite pleasant, and is a great way to annoy busybodies."

Wait a minute. Didn't this guy just say smoking is 'smelly and unhealthy?' Uh yeah, I think he did. Kinda hypocritical there, ne? And don't give me claptrap about 'heavy' smoking. If he meant to say that, he would have put the word 'heavy' in there. He's just trying to rationalize and justify his position.

I am of the belief that taking NOXIOUS BURNING FUMES AND ASH into your lungs is stupid and unhealthy, no matter how you do it.

thats your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but you still havent proven it wrong. the professionals dont say the dosage. this counters what the pros say. This says that only in large doses, do your percentages make sense.

EDIT- Insanesith, arent you for that stuff, too? You have said sevral times that you are a pot head, I believe once in this thread ,even.

RogueNine- It is potentially unhealthly, but as he said before in that article, only in heavy doses.

There's NOTHING to disprove. This is some guy's opinion, based on his own hookah-smoking experiences. And like Sithy said, I'd much rather trust accepted medical studies done by experts who have spent YEARS on their research than some guy who thinks smoking is fun and beneficial because of all the 'benefits' it gives.

If you'd actually come up with some solid, emperical, scientifically and mathematically based research and numbers, and not some 'freedom fighter OMG THEY'RE OPPRESSING US, FIGHT BACK' hippie crap, then maybe we'd understand where you're coming from.

Until then, expect more of the same responses to your lunacy.

Insanesith, arent you for that stuff, too? You have said sevral times that you are a pot head, I believe once in this thread ,even.

I'm for responsible marijuana usage, I believe hard drugs should remain illegal, they are too unsafe to even have any benefits outway the risks.

ZBomber, while you are my friend, please stay out of the senate if you can't contribute.

Thank you, InsaneSith, you displayed maturity.

But it doesnt matter who says it, an expert or a non expert if its correct.

I find it funny you choose that guy, since he supports marijuana leglaization AND is pro-drug.
ok, hes for marijuana legalization, and what would you consider responsible usage?

Originally posted by InsaneSith

I'm for responsible marijuana usage, I believe hard drugs should remain illegal, they are too unsafe to even have any benefits outway the risks.

ZBomber, while you are my friend, please stay out of the senate if you can't contribute.

I did contribute, I was asking how exactly he decideds if something is a theory. I'm not going to post the same exact things you guys said, because you probably said it better than I could.

"Everyone stop tryignt o convince yae. Maybe he'll die and our problems will be over. "

Still contributes, i was stating that if he keeps smoking, and he dies, he'll have all the proof he needs. But wait! He wouldn't be able to know! So, why take the risk?

Responsible usage would be moderate smoking, just like we have moderate drinking laws. If you drink over a certain limit you are not allowed to drive, well If you smoke at all, you cannot drive. While you may be able to smoke and drive perfectly fine, I do not think it is worth the risk. Marijuana shouldn't be used as just some "escape reality" crap. It should be used in proper doses and in a safe fashion, never smoke alone.

This man though is obviously a drug addict wanting all drugs legalized with no limitations. I want marijuana legalized, but with limitations, because I grow tired of idiots handing ammunition to the anti-marijuana groups.

People need to realize you can use marijuana and still be a proper, upstanding person.

I am open to your links, but this last one really drives me off, this man obviously needs to spend time doing actual research, tested over and over again. I am willing to accept it should he give a layout for a reproducable study.

Archived