Home

Thou Shalt Not Kill?

yaebginn

i'd say i expect something like "the ten commandments are talking about killing in the context of murder, since this is killing someone against the law and not in self defence, it's not killing like killing an behated enemy, so it does not mean thou shalt not kill, but thou shalt not kill unauthorized". i might be wrong though, but would tend to ask why it doesnt say "thou shalt not kill unauthorized" then..

*thumbs down for humans because of the stoned women story* :/

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by yaebginn

toms, there is no 'no killing' rule. where did you get that? Murder is different than killing.

Speaking as a Christian, I believe I've matured enough in my faith to understand that it's not only rules. A sin is a sin. Killing another human being is a sin, regardless.

You can try to justify it all you want and fall back on excuses, but I believe you will never have a closer relationship with God by trying to justify a sin only for your personal gain.

are you serious? have you even read the Bible? What about when GOD killed the firstborn of the Egyptians for not letting the Hebrew slaves go? There are many timesin the Bible when God has helped people win in battle. If you doubt, I'll look and see if I can find some verses.

are you serious? have you even read the Bible? What about when GOD killed the firstborn of the Egyptians for not letting the Hebrew slaves go? There are many timesin the Bible when God has helped people win in battle. If you doubt, I'll look and see if I can find some verses.

Exactly my point. Bush (and Yaeb) believe that he's going into some kind of holy war. Thus religion is evil, especially christianity.

huh? noo, there was some wrs in the Bible way back when, read it some time. This war is about them crashing some planes into our buildings. terrorists. no one wants that to happen again (at least no one in The US, and so we are taking the fight to them.

When would you understand that the poor Iraqis getting killed there had nothing to do with 9/11???

citizens die in every war. the people in those towers, and in the planes werent soldiers. Some have died, but we dnt butcher them. We kill the enemy, but not the civilians, a few have died as collateral damage, but not anywhere near as much as have been killed by Saddam in recent years.

toms, there is no 'no killing' rule. where did you get that? Murder is different than killing..

How? You kill another human being regardless, a person with family, friends, and an actual life. Just think of it for a moment, how would you feel if you or one of your marine friends had been killed? Such is what happens every time you kill an "enemy".

It's also almost comical to see how certain people interprets clear commandments in the bible to their own justification, while taking more vague statements literally (such as with homosexuality). Hypocritical? Yes, sir.

they had ties with terrorists.

As of yet, there is nothing that supports such a statement but vague speculations.

and what 'poor Iraqis'? The ones with Ak-47s and shooting at our troops. Yeah, poor them.

Says a guy with an MP5 shooting at Iraqi troops. Hypocritical? Indeed.

citizens die in every war. the people in those towers, and in the planes werent soldiers. Some have died, but we dnt butcher them. We kill the enemy, but not the civilians, a few have died as collateral damage, but not anywhere near as much as have been killed by Saddam in recent years.

- For the last time, there is no reason to believe in any connection between Iraq and Al Quida.

- Did it really never occur to you that each "enemy" you kill has a family of his own, he has probably a good life and people who love him? He stands there in for just the same reasons you do, fighting the "enemy".

- The US-pushed resolutions against Iraq that killed millions can hardly be called Hussein's work.

1. It isnt vague it syas 'Do not lie with another man as you would a woman' thats not very vague. Murder and Kill and two seperate words and in different translations, there is one or the other. It all depends.

2. (jumping odwn to the next remark calling me a hypocrite) I didnt say we were being cut down or the yhad guns and we didnt. The guy said we were butchering poor Iraqis and I disagreed. They are our enemies. Its fair game. They have guns, we have guns. Not hypocritical, read closer next time.

3. Yes it had occured to me that they have a family. Dont kid yourself. I am not just osme big violent monster. I think before I act (most of the time) and I do think. I know that every time my finger pulls that trigger, I'd be sending my enemy to Hell. (in this war, anyway) I know that. But its their decision. They started it. They want to hamr me nad my family, then they are going to have to get past my cold dead corpse first. Love your enemies yes, but if that person I love, wants to harm someone I love even more, then its game on.

got any more things you find hypocritical about me?

1. It isnt vague it syas 'Do not lie with another man as you would a woman' thats not very vague. Murder and Kill and two seperate words and in different translations, there is one or the other. It all depends.

How can something so important be different in translations of the Bible? Isn't God's holy word so important that every single translation has to be word for word the same?

I know that. But its their decision. They started it. They want to hamr me nad my family, then they are going to have to get past my cold dead corpse first.

Okay, for the LAST TIME, Iraq had nothing. To do. With any attacks on US soil. Iraq had no capabilities of harming you NOR your family, unless you showed up in THEIR country, shooting at THEIR people, hurting THEIR families.

Two words...

"Common Sense"

Come on, people...common sense.

Don't kill? Well...come on.....running around town shooting random people...no brainer....

when it comes to military, well, again...no brainer. David was a man after God's own heart, and he was a military man. He was in battles and won them, as well. Remember though, David wasn't allowed to build God's temple because David's hands were considered "bloody". David's son had to build it.

There is a big difference between killing aka murder, and "killing".

Defending your country is neccessary.

Wars happen...as you can clearly see in the Bible.

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

There is a big difference between killing aka murder, and "killing".

Then why is it "Thou shalt not kill", not "Thou Shalt not Murder"?

Look at Jesus, he didn't fight the Romans who were unfairly prosecuting him, he gave in and let himself die. Should we also not let ourself die in the hands of our enemy and go to heaven?

Originally posted by RpTheHotrod

Defending your country is neccessary.

necessary is that we stop behaving like little children and recognize that we are all human beings who live on the same planet. who cares about countries?

Wars happen...as you can clearly see in the Bible.

ptse. just because it happended doesnt mean it has to happen over and over again. the bible is not the center of the universe.

Are you kidding me? Can someone say OLD Laws, old testament? want to thump some old laws? Don’t shave the sides of your facial hair, and next time you have anything that must be killed, make sure the knife is first cleansed (I.E, covered in salt, buried for 7 days and uncovered BEFORE and AFTER using it)

Galatians says something like “We are all saved by GRACE, for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.” The old testament is used mostly for history, and to show what we where taken out of. Dont try and use old laws to justify killing.

Originally posted by Tyrion

How can something so important be different in translations of the Bible? Isn't God's holy word so important that every single translation has to be word for word the same?

Yes Ty, in a perfect world with perfect people, that would totally be the case.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Okay, for the LAST TIME, Iraq had nothing. To do. With any attacks on US soil. Iraq had no capabilities of harming you NOR your family, unless you showed up in THEIR country, shooting at THEIR people, hurting THEIR families.

I call bull. First off, as the old saying goes "With great power, comes great responsibility" America OWED it to the people of Iraq to take them out of the things saddam did to them... Gassing entire towns? Lets rape a mans wife, make him watch it, kill him, make his wife watch it, cut her legs off, save her for later... think im joking? Im sick of hearing this crap about Iraq NOT wanting us there... ask all the widows who had their families murdered in front of their faces, seen their daughters raped, and their sons tortured.

Hmm, you say murder is different to killing. Muder, though, is the unlawful killing of another person. And law of is course varies from country to country. For instance, in certain Islamic countries women who get raped but only have 2 witness', are commited of adultery and stoned to death. They didn't commit murder, since it was perfectly legal to kill the women in the thier country.

Legal or not, murder is murder, defending your country, is not murder.

Oh, and I googled "ten commandments", and most of them seem to have "thou shalt not kill" as part of thier commandments, not "thou shalt not murder"

A comment like "I googled this or that" is completely irrelevant to the point I CLEARLY made.

The translations of Greek, Hebrew and Arabic text is not up to google or other website. The bible in many cases was translated by the old priests, who in many cases, edited or changed wording (dumbed it down) so that it wasnt quite so confusing... I know several Greek and Hebrew writers who have studied the bible in original context.

Originally posted by RayJones

necessary is that we stop behaving like little children and recognize that we are all human beings who live on the same planet. who cares about countries?

Once again, when we can all be perfect, your thieory will work great.

Originally posted by RayJones

ptse. just because it happended doesnt mean it has to happen over and over again. the bible is not the center of the universe.

Wrong. If you believe the bible or not, historicly it is one of the most accurate books to date. MANY MANY things revolve around the bible... How about the clock in the right corner of your computer screen? the one based (A.D.) off the death of christ?

Originally posted by ZDawg

Once again, when we can all be perfect, your thieory will work great.

noone needs to be perfect to start thinking about that. firstly it's what we teach our children that makes it like it is, and it's secondly people like yeabginn and you that teach hatred and a difference between murder and killing, although it's the same, it's taking a life. there is no need to be perfect to see that violence always causes further violence if in self defense or not or whatever. there is no need to be perfect to see we all live on one planet. all you need is start thinking about your behaviour. i do that every day and i am not perfect. surely not.

Wrong. If you believe the bible or not, historicly it is one of the most accurate books to date. MANY MANY things revolve around the bible... How about the clock in the right corner of your computer screen? the one based (A.D.) off the death of christ?

its's not the clock that is based on christ, it's the calendar. and you know what? there are many "calendar bases" out there and the latest one is the one you talk about. i dont care if it's the 3rd millennium or the 9th or if we start a new calendar right now today.

and sure the bible present some good analogies and metaphors, but we surely must adapt in into the now.

Archived