Home

Forthcoming Tournament, or possibly Tournaments with an S

Huz

Hey mangs.

We (that's Mort, and me going "yeah I agree") were thinking it would be a good idea to start holding tournaments and stuff on a regular basis, again. Not 'tournaments' as such, but just regular games within the MIGC to keep things alive and active, and also kick each other's respective asses.

Our first cunning plan was an Unreal Tournament match next weekend - that's the 4th and 5th of September, mangs. Nothing fancy, just a bit of the old CTF-Face and presumably the rest of the CTF maps, with maybe a bit of Assault thrown in at the end. We were thinking of starting in the mid-evening British time, maybe 8pm or so. That's 3pm EST, unless my calculations have gone horribly wrong. What do you think? Would you be able to make it on Saturday or Sunday?

And importantly, what games would YOU like to see us holding mini-'tournaments' for? Currently on the cards: more Quake, more UT (with Monster Hunt), Warcraft III (whatever that is) and maybe some Half-Life mods or something. Your opinion has a high probability of influencing us though, seeing as it's your clan and all, so suggest away!

- Huzbo

Our first cunning plan was an Unreal Tournament match next weekend - that's the 4th and 5th of September, mangs.

I think Huz developed a momentary psychotic episode and typed "and" in an undoubtedly drug-induced fit of masochistic craziness.

We won't we doing the 4th and 5th, we'll be doing the 4th or the 5th. No 48-hour non-stop fragfest for you lot, oh no.

Which date will it be? It's up to YOU

HLDM and maybe TFC are all I'd throw in, I don't really play much else. In other news, there's a free trial of Tribes 3 becoming publically available in one week, and I highly recommend at least trying it out.

If you liked UT2004, you'll definitely like this at least as much. It's not like T2 where it's all slow and annoying. Anyway, I need people to play with in the beta so.. y'know.. keep me company and all that. ;~

That's a good point actually, weekend matches are usually pretty difficult for people. I know that benny couldn't get here last weekend either.

Perhaps we should do a formal poll for this and see which days are preferred.

Originally posted by Doc_Sandman

I'm in if we have one.....oh yea almost forgot...what version of unreal tournament is everone using? and do i need to get a patch or new maps? and if so where?

We're using the latest patch which is available here (it's the "v436" patch). You should also get the bonus packs - I don't think we use anything beyond Bonus Pack 2 though, if you want to cut down on the downloads.

Originally posted by Huz

We're using the latest patch which is available here (it's the "v436" patch). You should also get the bonus packs - I don't think we use anything beyond Bonus Pack 2 though, if you want to cut down on the downloads.

but those ones don't work i get inavlid something or other errors

Originally posted by Mort-Hog

Hmm, the poll says Friday is most popular, which is odd because I would have thought people would be out doing stuff on Friday nights. Like I am. I can't do Friday. :-\

What do people think about SUNDAY at about 20:00?

Works for me, but I doubt other people would like that. I think Friday or Saturday would be best for everyone.

After reading these replies, I suggest two days. One on the weekend, and one in the week. Like thursday, and/or saturdays both at 8pm. That way, you can choose which one fit better or be there both days. How about it?

Edit: If the server was "open" everyday at 8pm, it would be more casual, and possibly attract more people. However, the owner of the server might see this as a problem. Give a reply what you think. Also I dont know how it works, but it sounds to be a good idea, that on the http://migc.scummbar.com site, there would be written "todays active game on the server". Like if it would be written "UT" there, people would know UT is open on the server today. Discuss, and/or explain to me why this would not work.

To the first point - Hmm, I dunno, having two tournaments in close succession sort of makes it less special. I'll talk to Huz about it. I do think that the weekend is the best time.. But hmm..

To the second point - Hmm, that's a good idea. I have no idea how that would work, though. That is totally Huz' field of expertise.

I don't know how useful it'd really be, though. The key thing about organised tournaments is that we can get everyone together at the same place at the same time. We do play something every day or so, but it's usually a spur-of-the-moment type thing with three or four of us.

Someone (usually Huz) will say "NE14 WWP/HLDM/UT2k4 or wot!!" and we all go "OKAY" and all pile in onto the server and play for an hour or so.

Unless you kept refreshing the MIGC page very regularly, you wouldn't really know when we were playing as it'd display "0 players" for 23 hours of the day, and then all of a sudden say "lots of players!".

I certainly don't think it'd be impossible, mind you.

Originally posted by Mort-Hog

Unless you kept refreshing the MIGC page very regularly, you wouldn't really know when we were playing as it'd display "0 players" for 23 hours of the day, and then all of a sudden say "lots of players!".

I suggest that it the server would be "open" for play for UT all the time, and at 8pm every day there would be a "hot spot" when you come if you wanna play more people. Then would know that at 8pm there are some people playing UT. However, if you guys, MIGC wants another game, it is your choice. I dont know exactly how it works.

There's a bit of a problem, for me anyway, with that "Oh lets play UT or HLDM right now woot" kind of thing, if it's said in a mirc channel. I'm not there to hear it, so I cant take part. And those people playing then, I guess they aren't too hot on playin later in the evening a 8pm. This isn't a problem though, if there are enough players knowing about the server, cause then people would try to connect to it pretty much around the clock. I assume anyway. Whatever you guys decide is fine. I'm just making suggestions.

Yeah, leaving it running 24/7 would be inconvenient for Huz (and I certainly wouldn't want to do it) and pointless. If we play, it's usually quite late and very random. Plus the game we play is totally random, ranging from UT (rare) to WWP (less so) to HLDM (common atm).

There's nothing stopping you from coming onto IRC and simply being around when we want to play.

Archived