Home

Turning circle of an AT-AT ? hehe

ZinC°hda

Not sure if anyone has already covered this but has anyone thought about how an AT-AT actually handles ?

Imagine going for your driving test for one of these monsters :atat: Reverse parking and 3 point turns would be a nightmare !!!!

On a more serious note though, can these things even turn around ? Or do they just walk in a straight line in the game ? Haven't really seen much action on the video front concerning AT-AT's. Infact I think the second official movie was the only one ?

:)

Well in force commander, they turn strangely! If i remember right the legs dont move and the unit simply rotates! I think that if AT-ATs were to turn 180° then it would require a lot of space, and a lot of time. They make up the lack of manuvability though with firepower! Walkers should only need to turn minor turns to allow for course correction, like say 30° each way. The head should, if the game is like the star wars movies, move independently.

Originally posted by CyberDragon

Well in force commander, they turn strangely! If i remember right the legs dont move and the unit simply rotates! I think that if AT-ATs were to turn 180° then it would require a lot of space, and a lot of time. They make up the lack of manuvability though with firepower! Walkers should only need to turn minor turns to allow for course correction, like say 30° each way. The head should, if the game is like the star wars movies, move independently.

It was confirmed that the head moved independently. My theory is you don't control the direction of the walker but the head's angle instead. This may prevent some bad laming or noobing on people who head the AT-AT of course to who knows where.

Originally posted by CyberDragon

Anything that prevents laming is a good thing. I forsee that the ATAT maybe too powerful and overwhelm things, especially as it can crush whatevers beneath it. I think what you are saying is that the player controls the head but the game controls the actualy AT-AT? Am i right?

Something like that. Maybe give the player control of speed, but maybe not, laming can still insue. We'll see in 20 days, or until a dev can answer this. *hint hint*

Huh??? I want a total control of the AT-AT, limiting that is just dumb as it is one of the most expected vehicles in the game. Turning it to a half-automated vehicle sounds really boring imo. I understand that some people could try to abuse it somehow, but you can always make some terrains unpassable for it, like very steep hills and caverns for example. And I expect that if no-one covers the AT-AT it will get shot down by the snowspeeders

It would also be nice if we could control it in a way that an AT-AT would be controlled. I dont want to press w to make it go forward or s to make it go backward (can AT-ATs go backward?). I want to be able to move throttle A, push switch B, Push lever C to full while pulling lever D to empty etc. I dont want wsad controls!

Originally posted by Mountainforest

So the AT-AT pilot has two control buttons: faster and slower? I don't think so.

I was just using those as an example, saying that rather then controlling it with conventional wsad, that we could control it in different ways. Such as a tank has 2 levers to control direction. The 2 levers control the 2 different tank treads.

That AT-AT Barge idea would take a lot of time, but then again, so would turning around 180° :D

Thinking about it, AT-ATs shouldnt need to turn around if they are on course for their target, and i am sure that the AT-AT Barges would drop them in the right place for that to work.

Archived