Home

Completion...

smokes o' pot

I was a lot more laid back about gaming, taking most things in and generally not thinking whenever I got stuck.

MI1: about 3 months, but you have to take into account that it was being shared between 2 people and 2 computers so I didn't get to play it whenever.

MI2: About a week. It was the last MI game I played (you know what I mean, out of the 4) and by then, I was pretty experianced so it didn't take me too long.

CMI: Annoyingly, the best part of a month, I was young and just couldn't figure out that you put the lice on the comb!

EMI: again, fairly recently but I think it took all summer because I had to getr around a bann my Mother put on m using the computer for various reasons, so i only played when everyone was out of the house.

I'd never even heard of Monkey island when it was released. In 1991, I was 5, not really that interested in computer games considering we didn't have a computer (our first was an amiga, I think we got it when I was, like 9/10, didn't even know about MI then)

I can tell you exactly what happened. I went round a friends house who had borrowed MI1 from his friend. We played it and I loved it. That night, we were reading through some gaming mags and I found out about COMI. Please note, I was about 12 and I think COMI just ame out. I pleaded with my dad to get me the bounty pack (I knew COMI was the 3rd one, the bounty pack contains the first 3 games, for all you non brits) but he wouldn't and instead, only got me the third one. So I played through that and my friend gave me his copy of SOMI (even though it belonged to his friend, but it just got passed around, it's the old 3 floppy disk version, still got the box and wheel and everything).

So because I had the first and 3rd game, getting the bounty pack would have been slightly redundant. The 4th game came out, but I didn't wanna buy it until the price went down (£30 was a lot for a guy my age at the time) but the price wouldn't go down so I finally caved and bought it for £30 (about a month later it went down to £20, my luck really).

Anyway, after completing it, I found this place (the late escapemi.com, it's basically dead now, hasn't been updated, but it had it's own forums, which about a year ago, were merged with the scummbar forums and Brimestone Beachclub forums to make this) and everyone confused me because everyone was still wondering about the ending to MI2, the game I hadn't played.

after a while, I gave in to peer pressure and bought the bounty pack, the only available version on MI2 around. this of course meant I had a couple of duplicates.

Well, the floppy disk SOMi I kept, as they'll be collectors in a few decades time and the second version of COMI i got I sold at severly reduced price to a friend.

So that's why I played MI2 last.

It's still my favorite though.

MI1: Took me about 2 weeks to finish 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get the head off the cannibals.

MI2: Took me about 3 to finish because of all the confusing puzzles.

CMI: Took me the same amount of time as MI2

EMI: About a month I finished this one. (I found it the most challengeing).

Well that's my story.

• 1 month later...

My first versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 were on my old Amiga 500 and I can't even guess how long it took me to complete any of them. At that time I was around 10 or 11 years old. I only remember that me and a friend of mine played through LeChuck's Revenge on one single day/evening. We already knew about most of the puzzles though, so it's not that impressive, but man that was one fine day. *sigh* Yes, the good ol' days...

For CMI I think it took me between 3-5 weeks, not sure about this. I'm not the kind of person who remembers completion times a lot.

EMI I haven't played so far, because my at least 6-year-old PC is not strong enough to handle the 3D engine. :guybrush:

I don't remember. I played 3 then 4 then 1 then 2.

I first played 3 at a freinds house. He wanted to get to a point where he hadn't gotten before so I could help him, but he didn't have the save for some reason, so we basically played straight through, with him knowing all the puzzles. Then we get to where he was, then guess what? Time for me to go home. So basically all of Plunder island was revealed to me from the get go.

And when I played the rest of CMI and EMI, I had not yet learned the rewarding virtue of patience, and walkthroughed my way to victory whenever I'd get stuck for more than 15 minutes.

MI1 I don't remember having tons of trouble with.

MI2 I had a buttload of trouble with. The whole non-linear thing threw me off. Too many islands, too many map peices, too much stuff to connect together to figure it out. And so many of the puzzles seemed arbitrary, at least to me. In short, I got help from walkthroughs for that one a lot.

It wasn't till later that I realized that it's much better to buckle down and figure it out for yourself than to give up and use a walkthrough as a crutch. Too bad by then I'd already memorized all four games.

Actually, now that I think about it I might still get stuck a few times in MI2. I don't replay that one too often, I don't like it as much as the others.

MI all began for me with MI2 unfortunately. But I happily moved onto MI1 afterwards.

-MI2: 1 day

(unfortunately I had a friend who had already played it, go through the whole thing with me. But he introduced me to MI so for that I'm greatful to him!)

-MI1: 1.5 months

-CMI: 1 month.

-EFMI: 2 months. No thanks to the 3D interface (yuck).

Archived