Home

Player Critiques

Majin Boba Fett

Originally posted by General Nitro

Critique other forumers playing styles. Explain thier strengths, weaknesses and so forth. Or just how you feel about the player. Hopefully this idea isnt too lame and wont start arguements.

You're joking aren't you? Everything starts arguments round here!

I might as well start in relatively uncontroversial fashion by critiquing myself:

saberhagen: likes to think he's a rusher but can't really cut it. Slow to tech up and doesn't get his econ going fast enough, usually resulting in his base being flattened by pbguys mounties within 30 minutes. Even if he survives, he's slow at booming and rarely makes T4 inside 1 hour. Post boom can hold his own against low inters.

Nitro, I see the merit in your idea but I don't know how this thread could possibly progress as described without it turning into a flame war. So, taking the diplomatic route as saberhagen has done, I'll critique myself:

Vostok: Self-confessed air-whore. He has a problem with protecting his workers adequately, so econ raids against him are usually very successful. Although he has decent teching times, he hates rushing so will rarely rush. Always goes for holocrons, so setting traps near holocrons for unsuspecting Padawans will annoy him. Can usually hold off early rushes, though as mentioned above his econ suffers.

I'll break this chain as i don't think i could reliably describe myself.

now let's see who's the lucky victim oh er i mean lucky forumite.

PBGuy

An Increadibly Aggresive Player will Usually Rush with overwhelming force however his prefernces is Mounted Troopers so it is possible to deflect his rushes by saying who looks more vulnerable than you. He'll continue rushing using the same combination of units till he gets to tech 4 when he Air Whores worse than vostok however he is not nearly so rigid being as flexible as an amphistaff he will usually support them with deadly atacks usually performed by either Mounted Troopers or assault mechs. His A wing hit and fade attacks are deadly and is rarely defeated unless tripple teamed, if it ever looks like he may be defated or is being annoyed to much he'll resign. He has a strong econ and his abaility to defend against a rush is unknown as no one has dared to cintplate a succesful rush against this near Invincible player.

Oh one thing vostok don't forget to add that you have a habbit of being overwhelmed by Phreaks sappers.

General Nitro: His main problem is he double posts ;)

Seriously though, it's pretty hard to critique you at the moment because you haven't really settled into a distinct style of play. You were loving the pummel drop tactic for a while, but I haven't seen much of that in recent games. I think your main problem is that you rely too heavily on the more powerful units like the AT-AT, and don't build enough troopers.

Defensively you're pretty strong, as I remember my wave of air crashing against your base and getting completely wiped out one time. This involves a lot of shield generator usage, which can be expensive, and the resources may be better spent elsewhere.

Often you'll get some TIE Fighters flying around pretty quickly as soon as you're in TL3. This is excellent, and can sometime be very annoying.

I think your only real problem is booming. You need to build a lot more Workers and just keep bringing in the resources. Don't neglect Troopers late in the game, a FU Trooper can be a better investment than a Strike Mech. So more Workers and more Troopers is all I can suggest at the moment.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention Nitro's trademark: sending a TIE Fighter or hoverfreighter to a remote corner of the map so it takes forever for his enemy to hunt down at the end. This is your way of annoying your conquerors, and it is very effective at doing so!

One of Viceroy's trademarks would be his boasting and trash-talking when he secures even the most minor of victories. ;)

Early in the game Viceroy is usually fairly weak, though he has begun to develop some rushing skills. His trooper massing is decent, but he makes use of a wide range of all kinds of units, using the Confederacy's flexibility to his advantage. Post boom is where he excels, perhaps thanks to the great TL4 techs the Confederacy has, but up until then he can be vulnerable.

Indeed though up to now my unit combo's have been primarily predictable.

Though i'm reversing that, I don't think you were expecting assault mechs from me in the forum game were you? and a combo i came up with on the heat of the moment certainly carved up your army second game both Strikes and air, Amazing what Mech Destroyers and AA troopers can do. now if only I can get my speed up I might someday end up with skills like PB's

and i do not "Tough Talk or Boast" the only time I did anything of the sort was a few weeks ago on the western front when i though I had shattered Nitro's base but as everyone knows that took almost the entire game. We should play Ice Lake again it's that exact map that created that epic because of the terrain and resource distribution.

The Boom should never stop that's the point as far as I see it unless you have a rapidly increasing resource pile YOU WILL loose no matter what you do, having resources in 3 figures is because of poor planning and if that's the case you'll almost certainly loose because you can't be flexible with such low levels of resources.

Well the Mech Destroyer/AA Trooper combo was pretty good, I bet you'd been thinking about that all week to counter my Strike Mechs ;) Although you did manage to do a number on my army, you wouldn't have done much against my buildings, and as soon as I'd built enough bombers that army wouldn't have done much.

That was another of my big problems in the games, I waited too long before building bombers.

The Combo I had in Mind actually wasn't that It Was something much more effective Oh yes much more effective and how effective it would have been indeed so effective it would yes.

Takes Off The Yoda Hat As Well as the Gwen Khan Mask

I must say though Vostok that was suprising though but it was a nice bomber free game. PB's air superiority and my ground superiority would have seen you off anyway regardless even if you hadn't been having a bad day. My economy was ticking over and i was raking in Nova in 4 figures every few minutes and food is never a problem late game and My factories had at least 150 Assault mechs qued up as well as other Producition facilities about to come on line and every other Facility producing support uinits Yes it would have been a battle of Attrition and Firepower and since i usually manage to reserach every tech on the go that would have given me the edge even if Phreak had managed to recover from earlier by then.

Tough for me to get a gauge on DK or Nitro, but since I won't be on for a Sunday for a long ass time, here we go...

Vostok: Don't let him sit unaffected 'til T4, or he can smoke you.

That being said, pretty weak until T4. Depends on air too much.

Makes troopers, but doesn't get the War Center upgrades for them that he should. Hence, they get trounced. Needs to work on developing some sort of rushing strategy.

saberhagen: Could be great, just needs some tweaking to his strat. Waits too long to send his masses of T2 troops at you (or at least me). If he'd send them in 2 waves at different parts of your base, instead of 1 wave that is defended he could cripple you fairly early on.

It has nothing to do with whether or not you're predictable or not. I just usually end up fighting saber first so I don't really know how you two start off the game. Though I do remember smoking you once after I took phreak out of the equation in one game :) when it was me and saber vs you 4.

Archived