Home

Monkey Island The Play

pirate boy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mostly the price of the play will come from building the sets...

and from the costumes which are being designed by our costume designer for the show.

we also have to pay for swords and such, but the main budget will likely be sucked into sets.

I mean, a giant monkey head, lechuck's ship, the sea cucumber, the town of melee island....

these things cost money.

I did set construction for 5 different productions at my high school and we used the exact same flats and boards for every set. I think we bought one can of paint. The others were older than me. Our complete list of tools was as follows:

1 Circular saw

2 drills

1 broken hammer

assorted screwdrivers

Cheap beyond belief, but we somehow still built the best sets around. It's crazy what you can do with some ingenuity.

Originally posted by pirate boy

Mostly the price of the play will come from building the sets...

and from the costumes which are being designed by our costume designer for the show.

we also have to pay for swords and such, but the main budget will likely be sucked into sets.

I mean, a giant monkey head, lechuck's ship, the sea cucumber, the town of melee island....

these things cost money.

Just my idea of course, but the town of melee could quite easily just be carboard cutouts. This would look really good as it would give the feeling of the game (the game having a carboard-cutout feel to it, at least in melee island)

@Scummbuddy:

Yay, do that!!! I am not even living on the same continent, so I hope this is going to be available somewhere. Maybe it's possible to get it hosted on Mojo... the play itself and some behind-the-scenes stuff. (try sneaking some microphones on stage, so that there's not just the mike from your camera, but maybe a mike recording on mini-disc or so as well)

I guess I should calm down now.

Just wondering which Monkey Island your doing?

I know you've put your doing SOMI, but you mentioned that your making the Sea Cucumber, which doesn't enter the story until COMI.

I know that there's poetic licence and all that, but I was just curious.

Also, I agree with the people who said that you can (and probably should) just use cardboard cutouts of Mele Island and most other sets in the show.

I'm just going from the top of my head, but do you need everything in the game?

E.G. Do you need all the huts from the canabals village? Or lava in Monkey Island? And will you have a real head to tell Guybrush which way to go inside the monkey head?

Just trying to help.

Just wondering which Monkey Island your doing?

Doing Secret of Monkey Island.

I said Sea Cucumber, I'm sorry meant to say Sea Monkey.

No lava will be seen. We're going to trick it using red lights. And sound effects

And as for the head... I bought a decapitated head puppet. It looks like you're holding it but you're actually able to maneuver the mouth.

Soon as we get some actual sets being built I'll send pictures. They're going to be beautiful. I had our set designer have a look at the games and he loves the style of the third game.

Was that some failed forumula for the Hulk?

Just have him up on (clearly visible) strings with a wind machine of some sort blowing the bottom of his clothes. It's funny and effective.

bit of blue makeup and so on, goes down a treat. Remember, LeChuck isn't a zombie yet.

Originally posted by guybroom

we all know it's ghost pirate lechuck, but strings won't work.

Why not?, i think it would be funny, especially if you saw the strings. The fact is, this is meant to be a funny play, when people see the strings, they'll laugh, it's the whole fun of it.

Originally posted by Joshi

Was that some failed forumula for the Hulk?

Just have him up on (clearly visible) strings with a wind machine of some sort blowing the bottom of his clothes. It's funny and effective.

bit of blue makeup and so on, goes down a treat. Remember, LeChuck isn't a zombie yet.

Even in ghost form, he had a skull-like head. And that prosthetic comes unpainted, so it would be easy enough to paint it blue or white or whatever.

And working out the logistics of rigging an actor to fly is probably too much for his budget and time constraints.

Originally posted by Joshi

Why not?, i think it would be funny, especially if you saw the strings. The fact is, this is meant to be a funny play, when people see the strings, they'll laugh, it's the whole fun of it.

I disagree. I think LeChuck went downhill in the games when they stopped taking him seriously. Even if the play is a comedy, there has to be tension between Guybrush and LeChuck.

If LeChuck is portrayed as a cheap effect, the audience won't take him seriously, and they will never see him as a real threat to poor innocent Guybrush.

LeChuck still has flesh upon his bones mates. The likely approach is go for a ROB ZOMBIE look. So the actor will likely be a ghastly dead color.

I've played around with the idea of prosthetics for a LONG

time. I've actually found a very simplified version. Simply because we're going to be turning 15 actors into zombies and in the world of plastic that is a lot of money.

The simplified approach is this,

all the clothing on the zombies are going to be made bigger than the person actually is.

For makeup they will be painted black and covered in liquid latex in places which flakes off and is reasonably cheap. We then have glow in the dark paint which we will use to show where certain bones are. There's going to be a row of blacklights hanging off the stage which will illuminate these features. On the face of all things tissues can be very easily molded to look like coming off flesh. I'll send pictures of what I mean.

nice idea for the zombies. But are you going to try for the see-through effect? I have no idea how it would work, but if anyone has any ideas it would be fun.

I'm still annoyed i won't be able to see it. After so much time and effort i've put into it. ;)

Originally posted by megacles

How are you going to do Fester Shinetop?

Different makeup would be ideal, but it'd be hard on the reveal. A good idea would be a double at that precise point of change, and a bit of smoke and mirrors should take care of the rest.

Archived