Home

Monkey Island The Play

pirate boy

Not all plays have to be serious with tention. People are always complaining about why it couldn't be a movie and I always say pretty much the same things as you've just said, but I think a play is a step in the right direction. In a play, people are looking for a chance to get away from things and laugh. People can be amazed or interested in how people do things as apposed to putting it down to CGI and in effect, the stage would be the best place. Of course the puzzels wouldn't be included, I'm guessing this play would very much focus on the story rather than the gameplay and puzzels and lord knows there's enough story to go around (if you actually talk to everyone as much as possible in the game, you'll find out a lot).

More proof that this could be a play not based on puzzels, but rather story and comedy would be Paco vinks Comic, which doesn't rely much on the puzzels and is still really entertaining. show it to anyone who doesn't know about MI and they'll love it as well.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

theyd have to change some of it tho come on who the heck is gonna go to a play with loeds of ridiculous characters that have hardly any point i never could imagine that it would be funny because what was most fun about mi was the fact guybrush is your guybrush you could decide what to do and it might take you a day or so to work a puzzle out and when you did it was brilliant feeling of being smart and as much as id like to see a puppet of a three headed monkey i cant see this working out

theyd have to change some of it tho come on who the heck is gonna go to a play with loeds of ridiculous characters that have hardly any point i never could imagine that it would be funny because what was most fun about mi was the fact guybrush is your guybrush you could decide what to do

I cant see the points in your argument. I understand that you prefer the game and that you can control guybrush, but it is a PLAY!!! This means that the person on stage has a script and does not spend three days looking for the answer to the puzzle.

There is a big difference in the two and the whole point is that it is not a game.

(I'm probably not making too much sence here so i'm sorry)

Also your point of a load of strange characters:

I'm debating with myself wether you have ever been to a play? Or even seen a single programme on TV? Or ever seen a film?

I really do just have to give those as answers. You are saying that no one will see a play with loads of rediculous characters - they will. We have all played a game with loads of rediculous characters. ;) (yes I mean MI)

So unless I've missed something in your arguments i think ive just given you some answers.

Shakespere was one of the best playwrights in the world and most of his plays had confusing and stragne characters in weird circumstances. This should be a perfectly normal play which is why I stand by my statement that it will be best placed as a play rather than a movie.

I disagree with that.

I think that it would work fine as both a play and a film. Obviously we need to see how the play goes, but I think a film version would be fine.

as a film it could have the computer graphics that we are not able to have on stage and also there is not much difference between a stage and film except that a film is on a screen and a play is real.

Originally posted by guybroom

as a film it could have the computer graphics that we are not able to have on stage

Exactly, I think it's a lot better when things like brilliant special effects don't get in the way of the acting.

And there is a lot of difference between plays and films, but i'm not going to get into them here.

To reply to some.... confusion I guess

Monkey Island will be done as a play. It will be held on April 21st and 29th, 2005 at 7:00 pm. We have a very nice budget (I'm not going to put figures online but I can assure you that we'll have enough to put on a very nice show)

Guybrush will shove things down his pants. basically elastic wasteband and large pockets built into the insides of his pants.

The sets will be really amazing. Our set designer had a look at the games and liked the look of the third game. He insisted that it be incorperated into the look of the sets so... can't wait to see it all come together.

We haven't got to meet and talk about Monkey Island stuff at my school in a while. It's been very difficult lately cause I just had surgery and the musical is going on, so everyone is incredibly busy and lacking focus.

we start actual rehearsals in March.

• 1 month later...

You don't need an orchestra with a play, someone on the piano, accompanied by someone on guitar and finish off with the flute or something. Nothing big, just so you can get the melody out. We're not talking about huge blockbuster John Williams music here.

Originally posted by Joshi

You don't need an orchestra with a play, someone on the piano, accompanied by someone on guitar and finish off with the flute or something. Nothing big, just so you can get the melody out. We're not talking about huge blockbuster John Williams music here.

That's what I was talking about. I didnt think about the actuall instruments when I posted, but I think there is an instrument that you missed out - steel drums.

If you want a Jamacan feel to the music you need the steel drums

• 2 weeks later...

Wow haven't been on in a while. For the longest time no one was saying anything so I've been focusing on the show. It's been hell but it's coming along.

In less than two weeks we go on. Wow...

There will be music. Didn't have time to get a band together so it'll be mostly compiled of music from a cd. There's two dance sequences (would've been three but we're running out of time and people aren't showing up to rehearsals)

It will not sell out I can promise you this. Our auditorium seats over a thousand people and even for our musicals (our biggest seller) it has never sold out. If you are concerned however about getting your tickets I can mail them to you if you like. Give me an email at creator@youtes.com and we can talk about doing that for you.

The zombie pirates do a jig once Guybrush puts on the necklace of eyeballs they dance out to "Thriller"

and this may get cut if we don't get far enough along but Carla, Otis, and Meathook sing 'The pirates who don't do anything' when Guybrush tries to get them involved on the High Seas.

http://www.geocities.com/youtes1/monkeyisland.txt

http://www.geocities.com/youtes1/monkeyisland2.txt

Just for those wondering if there actually is a Monkey Island play happening, the answer is yes. Hope you enjoy the pictures (guy on left is Guybrush and the woman on the right is the Voodoo Lady *she's going to do it in an indian accent*)

If you're in the Maryland area come and see it

April 21st and 29th

Archived