Home

What is a moderator?

Darth Groovy

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFAIK there is no "pm" section in the admin panel wher eyou can just easily read all recent pm's. However i do know those of rank supermod can "login" to your account and read your pm's. Dont worry i'm sure this is only done in case of very important issues (members harassing other members over pm's)

I think VB works with encryption just like phpBB. This means the passwords are encrypted and the admin cant read em(in the sql database they'll see something like e5ez3vB2kjI... instead of, "ilovejustintimberlake"), but change em.

Originally posted by ZBomber

And Thrik. ;)

Same goes for a lot of the super mods, Jed, Groovy and Obi post....wheres everyone else?

Not all admins are forum supervisors. There are alot of admins from all reaches of LF, that exist before the merger....etc.

Alot of these admin that don't post alot, are responsible for the pretty pictures you see atop the forums here, the interface, the layout....the works.

Most of the time alot of these designer oriented admin, will post only in the main LF Private Mod forum in order to get feedback from others about layout questions...etc.

And yes, Supermods and up see EVERYTHING before it is released. ;)

A Super Mod can only initiate one type of ban, and that's the username ban. The offender is unable to use his/her name anymore on the forums. A permanent, or IP ban is carried out by an Administrator for particularly naughty forummites who we don't want back at all.

There are circumstances for bans. Sometimes they're permanent, sometimes they're temporary. Kind of like a 'time out'. It all depends on how bad the offense is.

And a lot of the admins lurk in the shadows because they like the anonymity and/or, they don't care for the mainstream SW stuff and can usually be found in the other LF ventures, like Monkey Island and Mixnmojo. But rest assured, the admins are there for the greater good and they're a bunch of really nice guys and gals. It's pretty much the same story for the other S-mods.

Originally posted by ZBomber

Can admins read PMs? I kjnow there is a hack that lets you monitor PM's and stuff, so that could help if something illegal is going on. ;) But it's also invading someone's privacy. :p

There used to be a hack installed that allowed administrators to view PMs, but during the last upgrade, I 'forgot' to reinstall it.

Passwords are entered into and checked against the database via a one way hash (md5). This means that your plain text passwords are never stored.

Originally posted by --ZeeMan--

this isn't america....mods dont' have the same rights as supermods and admins....they even have to drink at the 'mod' drinking fountain...]

They get a drinking fountain? All we get is a barrel of water which is also used as the bathroom for Zed...:(

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Niice.

Where are the normal mods though, or are they not special enough :xp:

Here's to you Tee Kay. :rofl:

Regular Moderators are sort of like beat cops. They are assigned to a particular community, or forum. When you visit the forum, at the top you will see where it says Moderated by: (insert list of moderators). Aside from that, there is no other list. Moderators assigned to a particular forum, only has his/her options in THAT particular forum. For example, Pad cannot go and moderate posts at Galactic Battlegrounds forums. Only Supermods and Admin have that option, however, we have what we call "turf". There was a long discussion about interforum moderation, and we came to a decision that it was unethical for us to intermoderate forums, unless a regular mod asks for our help. All moderators however have access to private mod forums in all communities within LF.

Usually when a new forum opens, Supermods and admin will open discussions on who would be well fit to moderate a particular community. We choose them based on merrit, most of the time we vote on it. If we get enough aproval, that person will get made a moderator. I don't think there has ever been a time where anyone refused a mod position, but it is still a voluntary thing, and a great honor once it happens. Sometimes those lists will change. In two years I have been here, I have seen the roster of mods at JK.net change drastically several times.

Two things can be a factor:

1. Supermods don't remain assigned to a particular forum, once the name is removed, they get replaced with a new regular moderator.

2. Sometimes moderators will dissapear for months and months and MONTHS. In that case, somebody like matt-windu will post a thread in the private forum, and ask for suggestions for new mods. The discussion opens, and we all come to an agreement.

As far as Supermod promotion goes... it all depends on the need for a position, and is also based on the merrit of the mod in question.

Yes, I have helped get people both mod and supermod positions. Jed, leXX Rogue Nine, obi-wan 13, acdcfanbill, as well as other supermods and myself pretty much hand picked all of the mods and supermods you see in both SW forums, and SWBF.net.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Regular Moderators are sort of like beat cops.

Yeah the mods are the regular beat cops, the supermods are your special investigations units, etc and your admins are the grumpy chiefs behind the desk yelling at all of us that we suck at our jobs :D

Yes, I have helped get people both mod and supermod positions. Jed, Rogue Nine, and myself pretty much hand picked all of the mods and supermods you see in both SW forums, and SWBF.net.

And yes, I do love you Groov ^^ (though Niner is sexier :p)

Archived