Home

What is a moderator?

Darth Groovy

Originally posted by TK-8252

ChrisC3po

Originally posted by Jed

Actually, the owner is Aristotle, last time I checked.

Originally posted by obi

I think they both own the place.

Originally posted by Pad

I think I once heared there were 3 main admins.

AAAAAARRGH! Well, thanks for the effort:D

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supermods obviously can mod any forum on the site, however they'll be in charge of supervising certain specific forums. Of course they'll be monitoring the forum they're most active in, but they can also be asked by admins or even mods or supermods for some additionnal help in some other part of the boards if they need reinforcments. For example, if a mod won't be able to login for sometime or if a new game (like Battlefront) comes out, bringing lots of new members with it :p .

I'm sure Grooves, Jed or Obi could do a much better job of explaining this though, as I'm not a supermod myself...

Originally posted by ZBomber

But I think the owner is Jed, since I've asked this in Forum Feedback before, and I think that's the answer I got. ;)

I remember Jed even as Jedi220, and I definitely remember him not being even a mod. So he doesn't own the place.

Anyway, if I remember right, three people own LF.

ChrisC3PO

Aristotle

Jake

Originally posted by Tyrion

I remember Jed even as Jedi220, and I definitely remember him not being even a mod. So he doesn't own the place.

ChrisC3PO

Aristotle

Jake

Wow, notice the ";)". :p

Ofcourse Jed isn't the owner, I joined before him. :p

Jedidude - You need 1000 posts to get it to say what you want. Also, it changes for different amounts of posts. Check the rules. :)

Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.

Supermods obviously can mod any forum on the site, however they'll be in charge of supervising certain specific forums. Of course they'll be monitoring the forum they're most active in, but they can also be asked by admins or even mods or supermods for some additionnal help in some other part of the boards if they need reinforcments. For example, if a mod won't be able to login for sometime or if a new game (like Battlefront) comes out, bringing lots of new members with it :p .

I'm sure Grooves, Jed or Obi could do a much better job of explaining this though, as I'm not a supermod myself...

No, actually that pretty much covers it. There was a brief incident about a year ago, where mods were intermoderating lead to alot of tension, since not ALL forums within LF have the same policies and rules. For this reason we agreed to stick to "our turf" as we lovingly call it.

For example:

LynkFormer has all the Star Wars forums.

I stick to the Jediknight.net forums as well as obi, leXX, acdcfanbill, Gonkh8er, and many others.

Redwing has all of the RP forums

Jed, obi, Lynky and myself all help out at the SWBF, because as expected with ANY new Game release, it's pretty thick over there. ;)

Sometimes regular mods from Monkey Island, or SWG might ask me to ban somebody, and i'll do it if they ask, and give me a reason. ;)

Originally posted by Tyrion

ChrisC3PO

Aristotle

Jake

Aristotle started jediknight.net and Jake mixinmojo right? Wonder what c3pos background is...we need a LFN fannetwork that holds this kind of information

Originally posted by Dave Grohl

I've got a question. When a mod goes through that confusing time when he/she/jed becomes a supermod, what are their new forums to police?

I've got my eye on you, boy :p

Originally posted by Adam G.

I was wondering, can a moderator get banned if he is bad enough, or does he get "demoted"?

Moderators sure as hell can get demoted/banned, but in the past this really doesn't happen often since mods usually know not to do things that would warrant a ban/demotion. Think I've seen it happen...once.

I was wondering, can a moderator get banned if he is bad enough, or does he get "demoted"?

Hopefully the judgement of the staff was dilligent enough to not promote someone to moderator that had shown a history of erratic, irresponsible behavior.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume that a bad apple got tapped for moderator. If that moderator did something that would get any other user banned, in my opinion, that moderator would likely have his power revoked, and possibly even be banned.

Originally posted by Jed

Moderators sure as hell can get demoted/banned, but in the past this really doesn't happen often since mods usually know not to do things that would warrant a ban/demotion. Think I've seen it happen...once.

Now, that's just not nice. Let's keep everything on the hush hush. No need to go pointing fingers or mentioning names, ummkay?

~Niner

Originally posted by Vagabond

Hopefully the judgement of the staff was dilligent enough to not promote someone to moderator that had shown a history of erratic, irresponsible behavior.

The bad apples are easy to pick out so there's no real problem as to figure out who SHOULDN'T be a mod... it's figuring out which one of the good well behaving members should be a mod since there are usually a few really good people around at a time.

And if a moderator does do something that gets him/her demoted or possibly even banned you can bet that it was either an accident of some sort or something very out of character which can happen.

I do know that it was ChrisC3PO who installed vB onto the server to start LF... how do I know that?... well his member ID is #1. :p

Originally posted by Jed

I too have only seen it happen once. THIS is why we take alot of time screening potential mods.

So far *knock wood* none of the people I have suggested have let me down. :)

Hmmm, that is good to know...... it will come in useful in the future.... ;) [j/k]

Continueing (sp) through logically, how could you ban an adaministrator if, in the unlikely occurence, a need arose?

And if this is partially of wholly taboo I apologive i advance.;)

Hmmm, that is good to know...... it will come in useful in the future.... ;) [j/k]

Continueing (sp) through logically, how could you ban an adaministrator if, in the unlikely occurence, a need arose?

And if this is partially of wholly taboo I apologive i advance.;)

Admins are bannable, but, if they got that far, I doubt they'd do anything to get banned. :)

But, if they really messed aroufn with the forums, one of the owners would just restor a recent backup and deal with the troublemaker accordingly. ;)

Archived