Home

The PS2 demo thread

ZinC°hda

For all you people who hate the wookiee you have to know how to use him.(Trust me I had a 6 hours car drive to knoxvillle played demo all the way up, and back.)To use him correctly shoot rapidly only charge up when walking, if ur low on health press L1 for ammo and health I beat it in 6:13 and was the wookie for 6:13 30 some kills,and well you get the idea.

Q's

1.How does the pilot build a turret never could figure it out.

2.Has anyone figured out the orbital srtike.

3.statements, I think the disquisefor the rebel was taken out in the final version, psm said nothing of them having it plus bobby said it was taken out. If you have info against it tell me.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Go to the gray slab of rock on the ground and an icon should appear. Press L1 I think to build or it might build by itself I cant remember.

2. My guess is its not in the demo. Try inside the accualy sheild generator bunker on the Imperial side.

3. No idea.

Got the demo today its AWSOME!!! Graphics are amazing. Best I have seen on the PS2.

Here are my first impressions after about an hour of play:

1. Small demo. By small I mean the number of tickets (100 each side) for the one level you are given to play. The reason it's small is there are a lot of bots on the map that kill each other often enough to bleed the tickets down real fast. The map itself was medium sized compaired to Battlefield Vietnam maps of similar size.

2. Suprising graphics. Of all the screens I have seen neither the Xbox's or PS2's really impressed me; I only thought the PC shots were decent. Well, the graphics are solid, even on the little PS2. Animations are good and the PS2 held excellent frame rates most of the time. In only one instance where there were a ****load of enemys and explosions all at once did the frame rate dip slightly. This is a very sound graphics engine that looks only a little out of date and runs very well. Can't wait to see how stable the net coding is!

3. Great sound. All the key sounds are here from the Ewoks chanting their war cries (yes, they are fun as hell to murder) to the stomp of AT-STs and the droning hum of speeder bikes. There is even SW music in the background that is diffrent for each side (bad guys=evil music, good guys=uplifting music) that switches smoothly depending on your situation (if you're out walking all alone the music is menacing or tranquil, if you're in combat, it's exciting). I found the default music volume to be perfect; enough so that you notice it, but it never draws your attention away from the game.

4. So so class selection. While I found the class selection just a little uninspiring, that never kept me from enjoying the game. It just made sure that I played as a trooper most of the time.

5. Star Wars toys! OH YEAH baby! Piloting an AT-ST and sending AI bots to their death's on the ground below was fun as hell! It was difficult to control only because I have never gotten used to the controller set-up on consol FPS' due to the fact that I have always played them on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. Same with the speeder bikes. I could never really open up with them because of the controller I was using. The bikes are basicly a quick way to get around the map. I did kill a stormtrooper in one shot with one, but never got up enough speed to ram someone with one. . .yet.

6. Star Wars feel. This game feels like the battle of Endor had been pulled right out of Jedi an plopped down in front of you. Like I said, the graphics and the sounds sure do sell it. I was even suprised at how decent the weapons looked in 1st person. I'm glad I am buying this on PC though as there seems to be no way (at least in the demo) to switch between 1st and 3rd person without pausing and opening a game menu.

7. Slower pace. I found SWBF to have a slower foot movement than most other games of the genre (unlike UT2004's hyper speed or BFV's just right 'moderate' foot speed). At first this put me off because the speed of your troops is about that of Day of Defeat's men. The only problem here is DoD's maps are small, so the speed works in that game, while Endor was pretty decent in size. I liked moving around by air with the Dark Trooper's jetpack though. But after about 15 or 20 mins I had settled down into the game's pace and found I was glad it was slower as I struggled with the controller. LOL.

All in all I liked it. It's design appears to be a little biased towards the consol crowd and the SW fan rather than PC freaks and FPS junkies, but it was really fun to play Battlefield style gameplay in the Star Wars universe (and without tons of bugs and lag like EA/Dice Canada seems to love so much in BFV)! If you like Star Wars and all out combat like the Battlefield series offers then go get it! If you cannot subscribe to either of these, then this is not your game.

SWBF (PS2 demo):

Graphics: 7.5 (better than expected)

Sound: 8.5 (nice, well done)

Depth: 6.5 (killing bots gets old after about 30 mins)

Gameplay: 8.0 (It's fun to play but the demo's replay value is very limited)

Overall: 76%

I have a feeling I'll enjoy the PC version a little more vs. humans than the PS2 vs. bots.

Originally posted by Vortmax

bobby's helmet,

does the XBOX share PS2 textures or do they have their own build?

ie...XBOX is not a port of PS2 is it?......it seemed that clone wars--(which pandemic developed ) had a very ps2-ish look on the XBOX

thanks for your time !

I read on one of the gaming sites (probably IGN) that the XBOX will have its own upgraded textures (an earlier build was still using the PS2 textures, but the developers said they working on upgrading them). From what I understand each version is being developed in tandem -- although they share certain resources, each one is a little different in terms of visuals.

Though after playing the PS2 demo, I have to say that even its lowest-resolution state the game looks great. My only complaint is that the gun/arm of the first person view isn't anywhere near as great as the very detailed character models of the third person view. Hopefully the XBOX version has an improved first person view.

I must be completely missing something, because I've tried numerous grenades, the Wookie timebomb, etc., but I can't destroy the generator. There's a console and what looks like a capture point, but nothing happens when I try to interact with them (although the crosshairs turn red when you aim at them).

Could someone shed some light on this?

Ok I thought I would review the demo since many people did and I feel like it lol.

Graphics: 9.0

I was stunned when I first played this. These are some of the best graphics I have seen for the PS2. The light rays shine through the trees and make your shadow more defined. The Imperial armor also reflects light. The detail is amazing.The explosions are a little weak, but I have yet to see a game with a good looking explosion, its just hard to simulate. Overall the graphics were awsome.

Sound: 9.5

I cant stress enough how the sound is one of the best aspects of this game. If you hear a speader bike pass you, you can hear it drone into the distance. Explosions fade as you ride past them on the speeder bikes. The Ewoks run around screaming too. Also, your team constantly talks to you and tells you what command posts have been taken. The music is awsome too. Original Star Wars soundtrack. The music changes as you go into battle or enter a vehicle. Sound in this game is top notch.

Depth: 8.0

Theres not much to do in the demo. Yes, its definitely fun, but its always the same. I know with the other maps and online features I wont be saying that about the real game, but demo-wise its not too deep. Capturing command posts and jumping on speeder bikes is about it.

Gameplay: 9.0

This is a very entertaining game. The controls are very easy (Probobly because iv been playing SOCOM for a few years and the controls are basically the same). Your character habdles well and the ability to roll to the side is particularly useful. The jetpack guy is also cool because he speeds up the traveling process. The animations in this game are good too. Throwing a grenade, launching your jetpack, proning in a bush, they all flow smoothly and look great.

Overall: 9.5

I have never been this addicted to a demo in my life. Just the demo itself has exceeded my expectations and made me want this game even more. Awsome graphics, perfect sounds, and great gameplay. Know what? Im going to go play it right now!

Originally posted by singard

I read on one of the gaming sites (probably IGN) that the XBOX will have its own upgraded textures (an earlier build was still using the PS2 textures, but the developers said they working on upgrading them). From what I understand each version is being developed in tandem -- although they share certain resources, each one is a little different in terms of visuals.

Though after playing the PS2 demo, I have to say that even its lowest-resolution state the game looks great. My only complaint is that the gun/arm of the first person view isn't anywhere near as great as the very detailed character models of the third person view. Hopefully the XBOX version has an improved first person view.

I must be completely missing something, because I've tried numerous grenades, the Wookie timebomb, etc., but I can't destroy the generator. There's a console and what looks like a capture point, but nothing happens when I try to interact with them (although the crosshairs turn red when you aim at them).

Could someone shed some light on this?

TO answer some of your questions, All the first person arms weren't finished when this demo was done and in the release version all the first person arms should be alot better.

In regards to killing the shield generator. Its best to be the Vanguard and just keep firing rockets at the console in the bunker. I think it takes about ten shots to destroy it.

Originally posted by Bobby's Helmet

TO answer some of your questions, All the first person arms weren't finished when this demo was done and in the release version all the first person arms should be alot better.

In regards to killing the shield generator. Its best to be the Vanguard and just keep firing rockets at the console in the bunker. I think it takes about ten shots to destroy it.

Thats good to hear, I was hopping that the 1st person arms would get fixed. Bobby, you just keep phasing from and into the shadows on us don't you. :p Well if its not too late to ask, are there a number of things that are changed in the final product from the demo? I was wondering how close the final game will be to the demo because the demo had its little annoying glitches like your POV shaking when in 1st person and proned (lying on the ground). I hope that alot of the issues are ironed out in the final game.

I just played the demo and it is one of the best ps2 games ever..EVER. It combines socom and battlefield 1942 so well. The only things wrong that i found with the game are that sometimes the music skips (prob my disc) and that the wookiees hav the same voice as the humans...disturbingly wierd...GREAT GAME THO Great, great, great game. My fav classes: Scout(so easy), Soldier and Dark Trooper. It is actually great fun to jetpack around the levels, the gun sucks tho in my opinion. I ended up switching to pistol most of the time.

I just played the PS2 demo. Good detail and graphics! Sound was good also. My only technical problem was human player movement. All troopers were slower than I would like. Seems like when I moved to the side it strafed too much to my likely. I couldn't figure out how to use the jet pack on the darktrooper.

I am an avid gamer and Star Wars fan. I am in a PC online gaming clan and have really stopped using PS2 and used PC for the last few years (I had to open my ps2 and clean the laser to get the thing to read the disk!).

Overall I give this game a 9 for the Star Wars Experience...but a 5 as a 'game'.

Graphics: 6/10

Maybe I am just used to PC games...especially with a Radeon 9800 Pro...but my view is the graphics are mediocre at best.

I truley hope the PC version is more advanced

Sound/Music: 9/10

All the sounds and music were quite nice and truly gave a star wars feel

Gameplay: 5/10

Again it might be my PC bias but I found the game to be lacking compared to the likes of BF, BFV, UT04, etc. It is waay too arcady and lacks the realism and sophisticated engines of modern games. It feels more like a cartoon than a movie experience. And the PS2 controls are very awkward to use.

I can only hope the PC version of the game is truly a step above this PS2 Demo...otherwise it wil end up on my pile of crappy movie liscence games that just arent good games.

Originally posted by joesdomain

I just played the PS2 demo. Good detail and graphics! Sound was good also. My only technical problem was human player movement. All troopers were slower than I would like. Seems like when I moved to the side it strafed too much to my likely. I couldn't figure out how to use the jet pack on the darktrooper.

The only thing I found annoying was the the Damn demo timer. :mad:

I hate it when the demo resets in the heat of battle. it would have been better if this happened when all the tickets ran out.

I also found they games shorter in time limit. An average game lasted 7 minutes for me before I was beaten or I won. I would of liked more tickets than just 100. We should have a choice in the number of tickets we get in the beginning like 50-500 in increments of 50 tickets. That way we can chose a short or long match.

Originally posted by joesdomain

I also found they games shorter in time limit. An average game lasted 7 minutes for me before I was beaten or I won. I would of liked more tickets than just 100. We should have a choice in the number of tickets we get in the beginning like 50-500 in increments of 50 tickets. That way we can chose a short or long match.

if you see videos of gameplan in action, i saw a ticker at like 300 or so, i think it was only 100 for the demo, so i think you can adjust to bring it up higher.

Originally posted by SITH_ShadowCat

Thats good to hear, I was hopping that the 1st person arms would get fixed. Bobby, you just keep phasing from and into the shadows on us don't you. :p Well if its not too late to ask, are there a number of things that are changed in the final product from the demo? I was wondering how close the final game will be to the demo because the demo had its little annoying glitches like your POV shaking when in 1st person and proned (lying on the ground). I hope that alot of the issues are ironed out in the final game.

I think the demo version is as near as dammit to the release. The only changes are several glitches and bugs that we had to fix so the actual map won't change.

In terms of other things, Like I said, the 1st person arms and weapons have been made better, some foliage was improved. The voiceover you hear for the imperials is my Dad, he came into the office and recorded the lines when he was over for a holiday. for the release, they had to re record the lines as more lines were added and to keep consistency got someone new to do them all again.

other than these things nothing really will change. I think the ticker count is defiantely adjustable too.

Originally posted by ExplodingMonkey

All in all I liked it. It's design appears to be a little biased towards the consol crowd and the SW fan rather than PC freaks and FPS junkies

So are some people going to get pissy because the game doesn't allow them to show their "1337 skillz?" and they may actually get killed by a less experienced player?

Originally posted by Prime

So are some people going to get pissy because the game doesn't allow them to show their "1337 skillz?" and they may actually get killed by a less experienced player?

I hope thats the case. The last thing I need is some clan-know-it-all member telling me how to play the game the "right" way. :dozey: *remebers JA*

Originally posted by Prime

Where did you get THAT from my statement?

As far as your statement though I would have to say yes. Would a skilled chess player get upset if they made the game so simple that anyone could play and win without learning to master the game?

The whole ponit of any game is to master it better than your opponent. If battlefront is designed to ease first time gamers into the genre, then a game that requires less skill would seem to be appropreate. But if it is intened to be a serious game then you will see many more kids showing their "1337 skillz" and acting like @$$es that serious gamers that want to work to be the best at playing. Counterstrike is a prime example of this.

Archived