Home

Dedicated Server and Issues [Merged]

KnuckleHeadFR

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by KnuckleHeadFR

As in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy will Battlefront allow you to create a dedicated server? Also will mods be a future feature that will be available for the game?

Thanks

Dedicated servers: yes.

Mods: Still unkown. Possibly, but no tools are being shipped with the game so don't expect to go modding off the bat.

So nobody knows what is going on whether or not we can run servers right off the bat? I'm working with hosting companies on making sure they get SWBF added asap so we can purchase server(s), umm....also if anyone is interested NeVaDiE is going to try to be one of the first ladders up for SWBF. Visit our forums at http://www.nevadie.com/forums and post in the SW Battlefront section if you are interested in helping/joining our ladder

-Mattimeo

Were gonna have a kick ass server, make sure u put us on ur favorites when u can

I'm going to install nukeladder tonight I'll post the site for you guys to sign up your clans for pre-season registration, also of course tons of forums and it will be a hoppin place considering the circumstances of how many of us are purchasing the game and setting up GAME SERVERS (not the crappy kind 0_o)

ps. the nukeladder will probably look crappy (out of the box themes) until we get some skins for it, give us time, but hey its gonna be a good ladder hope to see your teams on there

http://www.nevadie.com/forums for our forums, we have one just for swbf

-Mattimeo

I'm sure they will have a dedicated server. What we really need are stand-alone dedicated server files. I don't want to have to install the full retail game on the server machine. That's particularly a problem when you remotely manage the machine from 1000's of miles away. I don't have direct access to the CD drive, so I'll have to upload the full, retail install of the game via FTP. Not fun. If they were smart, they'd provide stand-alone dedicated server files to download for both Windows and Linux.

That's the point. For this to be run effectively, stand alone server binaries are a must. Running a server off of a game CD install is not only retarded, it's unpractical for reasons you said.

If this is a game-cd server install... I wont be running it. Im not dumb enough to put a windows game server hanging on the net, and there's no way im going to upload resource files off of a CD to a co-located box 1000mi away either.

5 days left, and still no word from lucasarts or pandemic on this subject. Some of us are getting very worried now, as if we don't have binaries by the weekend, there is not enough time to test them before pushing them live by Tuesday.

That would make for a sad release.

Its liek they dont even want to tell us anything about the pc version... Apoc worries

If there is no seprate dedicated "as in not on the cd" then the ammount of capable servers will suck..

You CAN NOT HOST a good server on your home cable or dsl... At least 99% of us cant

Originally posted by zartanch

I already have the beta dedicated server software running for my clan. Only problem of course is that it has 2 maps only. I run this and Ghost Recon on my Hypernia.net dedi. I'm getting sick of waiting, seriously.

where is this beta?

what types of controls are available?

- punkbuster?

- teambalance?

- friendly fire?

- autokick TK?

- ping limits?

- client mod content check?

- etc?

My clan rents our box from Defender Hosting (parent company to ECGNetwork)....have had no problems

The four biggest problems (IMHO) on servers are:

- TKers

- Unbalanced Games (eg: 15 players vs 5)

- Cheaters

- Lag

If the dedicated server software is good (like with Battlefield) you can set up servers to mitigate it

- Tkers can be set to be kicked or banned on X number of TKs

- Server can be 'autobalanced' or 'smartbalanced' (eg allowed to get unbalanced X number of players)

- Cheaters kicked via punkbuster or client-based mods content checks

- Lag mitigated by kicking those with pings greater than X

BFV even has options like forcing people with certain tags on one team, switching teams between rounds, and letting you control what classes and vehicles are available.

SWBF is essentially a copy of BF. THe question many of BF server admins have is: will it have the same admin support as BF has....or is it simply the basics (name, maplist, timelimit)

and its a bit annoying that there is still ZERO information from LucasArts.

Originally posted by Kramerika

I'm sure they will have a dedicated server. What we really need are stand-alone dedicated server files. I don't want to have to install the full retail game on the server machine. That's particularly a problem when you remotely manage the machine from 1000's of miles away. I don't have direct access to the CD drive, so I'll have to upload the full, retail install of the game via FTP. Not fun. If they were smart, they'd provide stand-alone dedicated server files to download for both Windows and Linux.

I agree. This is a must for me. If I have to install the retail game on my server to run the game server then I will not be able to do it. All my servers are run in VMware, and VMware does not meet the graphics card system requirements. I wish they would announce what the system requirements are for running a dedicated server. Surely they will have the stand-alone server files.

Originally posted by zartanch

I already have the beta dedicated server software running for my clan. Only problem of course is that it has 2 maps only. I run this and Ghost Recon on my Hypernia.net dedi. I'm getting sick of waiting, seriously.

You're so full of it. There has been no release of any dedicated server binaries. The only thing you could possibly have is what we would call WINDOWS LISTEN SERVER exe's which might come packaged on the CD. That is not a dedicated server binary.

I called Pandemic yesterday to inquire about it, and I was AGAIN referred to LucasArts, yet they would not disclose any specific person to talk to about it. This thing is under wraps until release.

Don't expect public servers to be up and running on Tuesday. It's Friday, and we're out of time to test them before Tues now.

Playing the non-dedicated games are great, no lag.

Dedicated is a different issue.

Can anyone tell us Australian folks what the best way is to get a dedicated server happening and what the min upload req are.

Also will Lucas Games have dedicated servers going in the near future?

there seems to be absolutly no way to play a game on STBF in anything other than a non-dedicated 4 player mode which is sorta limiting and there seems to be a few disgruntled players out there want to take this game back already in favour of KillZone which will have sony dedicated servers up which will allow 16 players per game lag free.

It will be a great benifit if we can work this issue out.

Cheers

Jax

Archived