Home

Started my first real job today

Keyan Farlander

I started my first "real" job today (meaning one that required a degree in my area of study). I'm a Software Engineer for Nemetschek (http://www.nemetschek.net), which makes the VectorWorks CAD software. So yay for me.

It seems like a really nice place to work. Today happened to be the day all the engineers and technical people went to Washington D.C. and toured various points of architectural interest. We even got a tour of an apartment building under construction by the architect himself, who explained some things and answered questions.

We also had a couple of great meals with the check picked up by the company. Hooray!

Cool! But I'll have to get up to speed first. I speant all day today just reading the first half of that zillion page manual that comes with the standard version. I haven't even gotten to the specialized manuals yet. I'm mostly going to be working on features for the Architect and Landscape versions, so maybe I won't be much help anyway. But maybe if you're nice to me I'll see if I can knock a few bucks off the upgrade price for you when we come out with the 12.0 next year ;)

So do you have the special version for lighting or the standard version?

I think it's the lighting version, (since there are templates for trussing and standard lighting instruments and the like in it,..) although I'm not positive about that. I haven't actually learned the program yet.

The guy who's best at it is a recent hire from a local theatrical and concert lighting company. He brought the software with him. He's already re-done a lot of our lighting, stage, and seating plots using it.

It seems a lot cooler, easier and more intuitive than any other CAD program I've ever used though. I had some training on an early, early version of AutoCAD in high school, but I really don't remember much of it.

I've already recommended it to a couple of lighting designers passing through, since they liked the looks of our new plots.

Archived