Home

Speechless Character

sith_master2000

In KotOR I've always wondered why the main character never speaks. If you have played Star Trek Elite Force I & II then you'll know that the mini sounds for the male character (by that I mean things like when you select him and when he gets hit) are done by the same guy who does Munro. If that's so how come he never speaks? :confused: I believe the game would be a lot cooler if the player spoke. Is it a "tradition" not to have RPG main characters speak? What do you guys think?

I think it is more to do with the resources required to be able to do that. Since there usually at least 3 dialog options and sometimes a lot more, recording and storing all those extra lines is pretty daunting. There is a lot of dialog for each character already, and adding every line for Revan would increase the amount of space required, time to record, and development costs by a lot.

It is a compromise, more or less. Personally, I like not having it spoken, since I feel it is really my character, and I have my own vision of how he sounds. That was one thing I didn't really like about Jedi Academy. I thought Jaden sounded a bit like a dork. :)

Well I have to agree that Jaden sounded like a dork. The female version was ok but the male... I still would prefer it if the KotOR character spoke rather than be as silent as a dead rat.

When your in that cutsene before the Star Forge when you crash down on the planet Revan says "What's that?" and his mouth doesn't even move. I laughed when I saw that.

But it's a bit weird not having any speech there.

I think it gas something to do with you being able to create your own name for your character. You could no longer have options of the character saying "My name is_____" since they couldn't synthasis every name. Just like how the only characters that refer to you by name are speaking another language.

Originally posted by sith_master2000

Well I have to agree that Jaden sounded like a dork. The female version was ok but the male...

Agrees as well, but I always thought the female sounded like some random 'spoiled-Buffy-cheerleader-at the mall' type thing. Maybe it's just me though.....

Originally posted by cayqel

I think it gas something to do with you being able to create your own name for your character. You could no longer have options of the character saying "My name is_____" since they couldn't synthasis every name.

They can avoid that like they did in Baldur's Gate II. In that there was spoken dialog for all the lines but it just wouldn't say the name.

Heh, I could just Imagine a conversation:

Some Guy: Hello, my name is Yora Snotball.

Player: Hello my name is...

Yora Snotball: Excuse me? I didn't catch your name.

Player: I said...

Yora Snotball: Do you even know your own name?

Player: Just read the subtitles damnit!

Yora Snotball: Oh right hello (Player Name).

That would be rather funny :p !

Originally posted by Prime

They can avoid that like they did in Baldur's Gate II. In that there was spoken dialog for all the lines but it just wouldn't say the name.

They could have done it that way for sure, but would we really want them to?

I think having no voice for your PC in KOTOR leaves it up to your imagination, and giving peoples imaginations a work-out is a good and noble thing. :)

Just my 2 cents! :D

Archived