Home

The Star Wars DVD thread!

Crazy_dog no.3

Return of the Jedi review:

The Movie- 7/10

It starts off kind of crap apart from the cool creatures at Jabba's Palace. The whole Endor bit made up for it though with great battle scenes, the Vader/Luke duel and it's conclusion and the cute Ewoks :ewok: (I'm 18 and I still like them :) )

Music is good throughout.

Changes- 7/10

The addiction of Naboo at the end was nice, but what kind of spoiled it for me was that Hayden due as Anakin's ghost at the end. His smile was creepy (I think someone said that before)

Sound- 9/10

Sound quality is good although not as good as impressive as the previous two movies. Good surround effects during battles.

Video- 8/10

It was as good as the other films but during the opening crawl and when the Falcon flies through the second Death Star there was a slight pause then it continued playing. Not a biggie but still annoying.

Overall: 7.75/10

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As for the Wookies, GL has said for a very long time now that in his original script for SW, in the last scene, he intended the alien species that helps the rebels defeat the death star to be the Wookies. This is no mystery.
There's no mystery about why we got ewoks instead either. The only plausible explanation is: Georgie's initial onset of madness combined with a clerical error resulting in the delivery of only 50% of the necessary amount of fake wookie fur to the set.

what kind of spoiled it for me was that Hayden due as Anakin's ghost at the end. His smile was creepy (I think someone said that before)
Creepy? It's more than creepy. It's the kind of smile you might see around the docks after 1am.

Yeckhhk! :disaprove

What I don't understand is why Shag-2-Anakin gets to be young, meanwhile Ben and Yoda are still as old as sin.
Well of course the pro-Georgie brigade have made some half-hearted excuses about Anakin dying before becoming Vader, etcetera yadda yadda. All rubbish, of course. There IS no excuse for the madness of Lucas. He should be given ECT.

Originally posted by Spider AL

Well of course the pro-Georgie brigade have made some half-hearted excuses about Anakin dying before becoming Vader, etcetera yadda yadda. All rubbish, of course. There IS no excuse for the madness of Lucas. He should be given ECT.

AL, I love your rants, I remember them from JA forums.... :D

I would never tell you to STFU or quit whining :D Carry on sir !!!

mtfbwya

I was just kidding about adding lando (although i still think it would be an improvement), though i did get it from what seems to be a real draft of the script (unless someone typed all the script in, then just changed a few bits). I just don't get why, if he insists on adding stuff for the sake of adding stuff he doesn't add the cool stuff.

-----------------------------------

Watched ROTJ last night:

Video

This was fine (didn't pause on mine btw), but i have to say it didn't blow me away with it's detail like the first two. I don't think it is any worse, i just think that because it is a newer film it has ALWAYS had a better transfer, so the improvements from the remastering are much smaller and less noticeable.

The dark scenes of the emperor looked a lot better than the vhs though.

Audio

Again this sounded pretty cool, though no stunning uses of the bass or surrounds. Better than ANH, not as clever as ESB.

Film

I actually thought this film was better than i remembered. I think my memory of the cheesy kiddyness in places had overwhelmed my memory of the good parts. The opening Jabba palace rescue is great (if a little repetetive) and the end space battle/luke vs dark side bits are awesome.

The pacing is a bit off though (big start, talky middle, big ending) and while the ewoks aren't that annoying and the idea of underdog locals using guerilla tactics isn't that bad, they needed more scenes of the empire fighting back successfully. It has also always annoyed me how Han has become a comedy figure throughout this film. And the cheesy "count me in!" putting together the command crew is very embarassing.

If they cut back the cheesyness of that scene, and inserted more of the empire,republic commandos & han in the end battle it would be great.

Additions

I can't believe they didn't cut out the cheesy tarzan sound that chewy makes!!! If they are taking out luke's scream from ESB (that never annoyed me) you would think they would take this out.

I also notice that leia catches fire when she is shot... i thought they were removing this stuff.

Anyway...

I actually didn't mind the additions too much in this one. I still think the song/dance number is pointless, but it doesn't really interfere with my enjoyment like the changes in ANH do as it doesn't really structurally change anything.

I didn't notice any improvements to the sabers.

I'm still not that keen on the new end music or end scenes of other cities (still look obviously CGi to me) but they don't detract too much.

New anakin was only a quick second, so not too bad, but it doesn't really make any sense. He also looked a bit embarassed to be there.

My fave bit was the VASTLY improved matting for the Rancor, which i always thought was terribly superimposed (even in the 96 editions)... it now looks almost perfect...

Overall Trilogy

I have to say that this is a mixed bag.

I thought ANH had the most improved video, but the audio mix was off and this, combined witht he most fake looking and out of place "additions" disrupted the whole film and made it less fun than i remember. 7/10

ROTJ had the least improved video and audio, but the additions weren't as annoying as ANH and the film was better than i remember. 7.5/10

ESB was great, impressive video and sound, best film, least annoying additions. 9.5/10

I've come to the conclusion i don't mind the additions when they are cleaning up SFX, or extra background stuff, but i don't like entirely new scenes that change the plot or disrupt the flow. In several places the pacing has been messed up by trying to cram several new shots into the space that just held one old one. ANd the visual composition is occasionally messed up by having new ships or creatures in the foreground.

I'm fairly happy with the trilogy, and i have yet to watch the extras, whihc look the most interesting bit, but it is far from perfect.

I'm quite pleased with them

......stfu

Well there's one born every minute... :p

same.
And sixty seconds later...

AL, I love your rants, I remember them from JA forums....
I still post on the JA forums...

My fave bit was the VASTLY improved matting for the Rancor, which i always thought was terribly superimposed (even in the 96 editions)... it now looks almost perfect...
Those lines (or the lack of them) are the only reason I would ever buy the new trilogy... Ah well, I'll stick to my guns. No gungans, no Hayden, no Greedo shooting. Life is good.

Well, I'm still not happy with all of the changes made way back in the first Special Ed versions. Now that Lucas has made an new special ed, I still don't like the changes and I don't like the new changes either. I like the "background" enhancements but the rest really just make the movie look awful imho. In the 2SE (that's what I'm calling the DVD release of the OT) the upgrade Jabba scene in ANH is better but he is still too small and still looks fake and I will forever go on about Greedo. The poor green dude never shoots man, I was there in the cantina when the whole thing went done, I saw it with my own two eyes, he was framed I tell ya. GL has had a mind trick played on him or something, that's why big brother is having him go back and change written history. In TESB, Vader now suddenly has no idea he has no son? Talk about your dead beat dad! I mean, no wonder Padme-bra left him for Jimmy Smits. That's the real reason they blew up Alderan, Vader says you took my woman, I'll kick your butt! Take this! Kablooy! Ghosts? I mean, come on people, a young Anakin? GL says that Yoda and Obi-1 teach Anakin how to become one with the force when you die. That's his explanation. WHAT? Are you inferring that little Ani has been dead for over 20 some years in that black iron lung? What other ghosts are going to be there next time he releases the movies? Patrick Swayze?

Originally posted by Nairb Notneb

Well, I'm still not happy with all of the changes made way back in the first Special Ed versions. Now that Lucas has made an new special ed, I still don't like the changes and I don't like the new changes either. I like the "background" enhancements but the rest really just make the movie look awful imho. In the 2SE (that's what I'm calling the DVD release of the OT) the upgrade Jabba scene in ANH is better but he is still too small and still looks fake and I will forever go on about Greedo. The poor green dude never shoots man, I was there in the cantina when the whole thing went done, I saw it with my own two eyes, he was framed I tell ya. GL has had a mind trick played on him or something, that's why big brother is having him go back and change written history. In TESB, Vader now suddenly has no idea he has no son? Talk about your dead beat dad! I mean, no wonder Padme-bra left him for Jimmy Smits. That's the real reason they blew up Alderan, Vader says you took my woman, I'll kick your butt! Take this! Kablooy! Ghosts? I mean, come on people, a young Anakin? GL says that Yoda and Obi-1 teach Anakin how to become one with the force when you die. That's his explanation. WHAT? Are you inferring that little Ani has been dead for over 20 some years in that black iron lung? What other ghosts are going to be there next time he releases the movies? Patrick Swayze?

ah, the endless question mark amd vague reference style of posting :p

Nairb, you and many others would most likely be more content sticking to the OT VHS :D Sure, there's *little* things that I think are a bit weird, but I would *never* pass up the opportunity to see all the great scenes in 5.1 and (overall) superior picture qulity, especially ANH :D

I made this for ET in another forum, but it applies here too, nb, it is just a JOKE ! try not to take offense !

ootagootasolo.gif

feel free to use it anywhere you like !

mtfbwya

Hahaha. I enjoyed that one immensely, Astro...

I'll provide my own indepth review here:

Episode IV: A New Hope

The original masterpiece that launched the greatest movie saga of all time and fundamentally reshaped Hollywood culture... has changed. In some ways for the better, in some ways for the worse. Specifically:

Good: the image quality is drastically improved over the VHS version, and for that matter over the theater version we saw of the SE. Visually, this is a masterpiece; never in its life has Star Wars looked so good. A few minor complaints here include that C-3PO is just a tad bit too shiny in a couple of places, some of the colors seem too bright and vibrant for our "lived in" Star Wars universe, but these complaints are minor. The sound has some good: it now has at least a form of Dolby 5.1, and for most of the movie it's pretty good. It's certainly cleare and more distinct than ever before. The lightsaber re-rotoscoping for the Obi/Vader battle is really nice to see, though it still has a couple of flaws.

Bad: The sound got me the most, I think. When the X-wings start their run on the Death Star and all of a sudden you CAN'T HEAR THE FANFARE that John Williams wrote, that's really frustrating. That fanfare MADE that moment. I also dislike most of the SE stuff in this one. The updates they did on making the fight scenes in space look better are a 50/50 split, but the stuff with Jabba makes me want to puke, even with the new model they put it. It just doesn't work. Last, Luke's (green? blue? pure white?) lightsaber is not good.

Overall: 7/10

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Undoubtedly the best of the original trilogy in terms of maturity, directing, etc, this film remains the best in the DVD version. Here, the good far outweighs the bad... mostly.

Good: the image quality improvement seemed even more drastic here than in ANH. Everything is so sharp and clear. The biggest difference, I think, was in the base on Hoth, when you see Han working on the Falcon or Vader striding through the battle-damaged corridors. Positively incredible. The redone effects for laser blasts are a good change, too, I think. Sound-wise, this one is incredible. John Williams' score is perfectly balanced with the effects throughout the movie, and the effects themselves are cleaner and crisper than ever before. Brilliance. The lightsaber scene looks much better, and matches up very well with the prequel trilogy, though this fight is much more cinematic because of our involvement with the characters.

50/50's: Temuera Morrison's voice as Boba Fett. Neither here nor there, this didn't bother me. The SE addition of Vader's shuttle flying up to Executor. Again, neither here nor there.

Bad: I don't like the new version of the Vader/Palpatine scene. The emperor doesn't look quite right; his head isn't as large and dominating as it was before and somehow Ian McDarmid just doesn't sound as evil as he does in ROTJ or as Clive Revill did as Palpatine before. Nor does the new dialogue work for me, though it may fit better with Ep. 3. And for this one, that's it! It's that good.

Overall: 9.5/10

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Often viewed as the most "kiddie-iffied" of the original trilogy, this movie critcally standing lacked the impact of the first two, yet remains a strong contender in movies in general.

The Good: again, image and sound quality are better here. It's not as noticeable, because as has been noted before, the Jedi master was in the best condition before; it had been filmed a lot more recently. However, the improvements visually in the lightsaber scenes are dramatic: Luke and Vader's lightsabers both look much more like the prequel sabers. Both (especially Luke's) are much more clearly defined, from the beginning of the movie at Jabba's Palace to the end scene between Luke and Vader. Audio wise, this one doesn't show much improvement, but then the audio was fantastic to begin with.

50/50's: for me, the Hayden Christensen thing is a wash. I don't think it was a need, but it doesn't ruin the movie, either. Same with the city scenes at the end; they don't hold up to the PT, but they're not terrible, either. They go neither way for me.

Bad: I still dislike the "Jedi Rocks" musical number, but the skip button works wonders with that... and that's really all I can complain about. This one was good, too, though it didn't match Empire.

And looking at this movie again, the Ewoks really aren't that bad. Sure, they're a little childish, but the concept is kind of cool. And I think we'll see echoes of this scene in Sith (though I shan't spoil anything for poor blokes like Astro...)

Overall: 8/10.

The Trilogy

Scores a 9/10. The added features are very interesting; Empire of Dreams is a must watch and the other stuff, including on the evolution of the lightsaber, is very interesting as well. The updated effects, visual and audio, are very nice, and the trilogy performs well. Despite the down points cause by some of the SE stuff, this is still a masterpiece.

Nairb, you and many others would most likely be more content sticking to the OT VHS
Actually we'd be more content to have the original cuts of the films on a digital medium like DVD so that we can choose whether to watch the ACTUAL movies, or Georgie's little pet prequel project.

And lo and behold, we CAN have the original cuts on DVD. And we don't have to pay for them. Well, the cost of a writable disc, maybe.

Get thee to the bootleggers. ;)

As for your little "joke", it's common for Georgie's fans to produce things like this... they seem to spend all their time making fun of those less fortunate than they- those who haven't gotten the films they enjoy. Don't be a Georgie fan.

Originally posted by Spider AL

... Don't be a Georgie fan....

SpiderMan, too late, in fact you're 23 years too late :D Ive been a georgie fan since 81, when I first saw that awesome opening sequence in ANH :D

secondly, YAY ! KERALYS IS BACK !! How ya been man !! :D

mtfbwya

Ive been a georgie fan since 81, when I first saw that awesome opening sequence in ANH
It would take an incalculable amount of self-delusion not to realise that being a Star Wars fan isn't the same as being a Georgie fan, no matter how much Lucas wants us to believe otherwise...

Originally posted by Kain

Oh look, The_One has nothing constructive to say. BIG surprise.

Actually, I thought it was the most well thought out contribution to this whole confounded topic. Trust me, if comedy is what you're after, LF is the place to be. Some of the material in this thread is golden, I had a great chuckle over most of it. But what it all boils down to is a load of bored people moaning about extremely insignificant things, and I just thought I should bring things back down to reality. But, now I realise the error of my ways, and I am truly sorry I have offended you and your oh-so-important-life. I remember the days when you could say something in LF and not risk having it pissed back in your face two minutes later.

So, to come back down to your level, lick my love pump f**ker.

InsaneSith:

why is that because we don't mind the new dvd's that we're suddenly Georgie fans?
Who called you a Georgie fan? I didn't. The only person who was called a Georgie fan in this thread confirmed it themselves straight away.

Now if you're a SW fan you shouldn't have any objection to our lobbying for the original versions to be released on DVD or discussing the Laserdisc rips, now, should you. Only a Georgie fan would spend their time defending the man and belittling everyone who disagrees with him. You Star Wars fans should have better things to do.

Kain:

Oh look, The_One has nothing constructive to say. BIG surprise.
Okay Kain, he's obviously trolling, don't rise to his bait. Through the content of his posts he's already proven the level of his maturity and those that have "echoed" him, likewise.

Much as we love to disagree here and show strong opinions and make jokes at each other's expense....

Let's lay off the lame insults.

"lick my love pump f**ker"? Uh, no.

Even though I can forgive you for butchering a "Spinal Tap" quote, that's not how we talk to people on these forums, bud.

And if you insist on being that way, you can say hello to my little friend (the Banning Gun!).

Okay? That goes for everybody here. Play nice. ; )

Complaints:I just wish GL would have spent some time to remove the boxes around the TIE fighters. The saber color inconsistency was a little irritating. They could have changed some dialogue in ANH so Jabba doesn't repeat what Greedo said.

Good stuff: Rancor not so fake. Documentary on the making of Star Wars IV-VI

I don't mind the changes much, I just wish GL made changes where it was a little more important.

Archived