Home

Doom 3 Demo

RoxStar

yeah, but some of us didn't buy it when it came out as we feared our machines weren't up to scratch (and i'd rather wait to play it htan ruin the experience), but now i get to try it and see how it runs on my poor old pc.

I got it off bittorrent last night, so i'll give it a go tonight.

yeah but they're cheap :p the SP is really just ace. in the first levels i'd open a door and immediately go back, to see if something jumped out (eventually out of the stairs goddammit). Now its just running around (chainsaw rox!) and the difficulty lies in killing em instead of just the fear factor. The sounds etc make an excellent atmosphere.

Originally posted by Breton

Heh. Ran it at lowest resolution, lowest details. Still is too slow to play on my "poor old" 1500 MHz 256mb memory computer.

Get some more memory and it should run fine...Doom 3, like most games, needs a lot of memory to run well. When I last saw my brother, he tried running Far Cry on his computer and it ran unplayably even though he had a decent video card (Geforce Ti 4200) and CPU (P4 2Ghz) but he only had 256 Mb RAM.

Your CPU is probably fine...one person was actually running Doom 3 at a playable framerate on a P3 600Mhz CPU! :eek:

Originally posted by Gabrobot

Get some more memory and it should run fine...Doom 3, like most games, needs a lot of memory to run well. When I last saw my brother, he tried running Far Cry on his computer and it ran unplayably even though he had a decent video card (Geforce Ti 4200) and CPU (P4 2Ghz) but he only had 256 Mb RAM.

Your CPU is probably fine...one person was actually running Doom 3 at a playable framerate on a P3 600Mhz CPU! :eek:

My computer is probably more power than any of your guys computers, its just that I have a medium range Video Card (A FX5700LE OC 256mb 'Medium' - 3.2Ghz P4 'one of the best' - 1024 Mb RAM 'high')

To make my comp uber, all I need is something like a 9800 Pro, then I could run Doom 3 at like 40-50 fps with high, 1024x768

Not at the 30 fps im getting now at medium setting with 800x600 (Though the framerate is pretty stable)

TiE

Nice graphics, but very slow on my system (at lowest settings). The only system req I don't have up to spec on it is the Ram (256 instead of 384 minimum required).

Oh well. I wasn't that interested in this game (sounds too much like AvP2 but without the cool franchise), but I'm sure the engine will be used for many blockbuster titles in the future. Id Software really is an "engine" company anymore anyway.

Glad they put out the demo though, so one can at least see how badly the game will run unless you have the right system.

Originally posted by Kurgan

Nice graphics, but very slow on my system (at lowest settings). The only system req I don't have up to spec on it is the Ram (256 instead of 384 minimum required).

Did you remember to reboot your system? :D

Originally posted by TiE 23

My computer is probably more power than any of your guys computers, its just that I have a medium range Video Card (A FX5700LE OC 256mb 'Medium' - 3.2Ghz P4 'one of the best' - 1024 Mb RAM 'high')

To make my comp uber, all I need is something like a 9800 Pro, then I could run Doom 3 at like 40-50 fps with high, 1024x768

Not at the 30 fps im getting now at medium setting with 800x600 (Though the framerate is pretty stable)

TiE

Yeah your comp and RAM is way better than mine. but i doubt a 9800 Pro would give you 50 fps (It should be getting 70 and higher). I ran the game on an FX 5700 Ultra 128MB and Radeon 9600XT 256MB (OC'ed 525/625)

It cant go above 60 FPS even with the RAM and performance tweaks.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Did you remember to reboot your system? :D

Yeah your comp and RAM is way better than mine. but i doubt a 9800 Pro would give you 50 fps (It should be getting 70 and higher). I ran the game on an FX 5700 Ultra 128MB and Radeon 9600XT 256MB (OC'ed 525/625)

It cant go above 60 FPS even with the RAM and performance tweaks.

The problem with my card has a very low clock speed, on about 275/250 (It was overclocked at the manufacture, thats what the OC stands for)

TiE

Originally posted by TiE 23

The problem with my card has a very low clock speed, on about 275/250 (It was overclocked at the manufacture, thats what the OC stands for)

TiE

Its not the manufactuer, because a 5700LE are supposed to be a downclocked normal 5700 (Non-ultra) and sell it at a cheaper price. Same goes for the SE

You know what? I think you should dump that piece of junk and get something like a Radeon 9600XT or a GeForce 5900XT

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

You know what? I think you should dump that piece of junk and get something like a Radeon 9600XT or a GeForce 5900XT

Jesus, yah know.. I would get a 9800 Pro instead, besides, Anthony has - or used to - have a 9600 XT (Right? or was is a pro?) and I could get 10 fps better in any game.

Well, im proud of my v-card, cause I used to have a FX5200 128mb, (BLARRFF! *thanks Ant* :p) It used to struggle at Ut2003, at like 20-30 fps on normal detail... now I get 70+ at highest everything... Im fine.... for now.

P.S. My dad made this computer as a suprise, and if he told me he was doing this, I would have told him to get a 9800pro when it was on sale. oh well. : P

TiE

Archived