Home

New Scumm utility

tobybear

Hi!

I wrote a little utility to view and extract all background images, room objects, costumes, animations and fonts from most of the LucasFilm/LucasArts games. It is still in beta version, but maybe someone is interested. Some stuff can of course also be achieved using the various editions of ScummRev, but I wanted to have one handy tool just for this purpose.

You can download my LucasRipper from this page:

http://www.tobybear.de/stuff.htm

Cheers

Toby

http://www.tobybear.de

Hi!

A new version is up, supporting more games, demos and platforms. Download location is the same.

@bgbennyboy:

The color of the font is set in the scripts, so that each actor can have a different color. Early Scumm games used monochrome fonts, so only one color. In later Scumm games, a font consists of multiple colors. The script sets the main color for the next line to speak, all other fonts colors are derived from this color (shading). As far as I remember, I just read the bytes and shift them like it is done in the ScummVM source code, so basically the palette defines the color.

Cheers

Toby

Okay, your utility is awesome.

It's the only one I've ever seen that can open Loom FM Towns files. I've been wanting to do that for ages. Thanks!

Also, your utility is so much easier to use for viewing AKOS files than is AkosRipper.

Using it, I found a couple of odd costumes in The Dig demo, showing really cartoony versions of Maggie and Brink on the PenUltimate. I'll have to post them sometime.

@Alros: What version of Sam N' Max do you have (language, platform, CD/disk, Talkie, ...)? I tested with English and German, Demo and Full, Disk and Talkie, all worked fine, except for the first room, which always seems to be garbled.

@thpublic: The code for accessing the audio blocks is already in the code (not for extracting file though), but I decided to leave it out as there are much better utilities for that (ScummRev & Scumm16 for example).

Cheers

Toby

http://www.tobybear.de

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! This is just what I was looking for! Thank you so much for putting all this stuff together.

I'm wondering if you're considering adding the "import" feature in the future though. You see, I'm in the process of translating The Secret of Monkey Island into my own native language, Korean. I have managed to translate most of the text in the game using the scummtr tool. But I wasn't able to edit the English texts that are part of the background (chapter screen, guybrush's idol-stealing cut-scene involving a lot of "ouch"s and "thud"s, etc.) since I haven't found the right tool for it. As I tried out LucasRipper I thought this could be the tool that I've been looking for only if it could import as well as export the images. Could this be a possibility in the future? Or do you recommend some other tool instead?

Thanks.

I am trying to develop a version of MI1 and MI2 in the CMI format, I need a great bit of help. I am trying to figure out what scripting tool I can use to do so exactly. I am sure many have tried and failed, but I want to make it happen, not as a sales pitch, but for fun. No selling, freeware, with permission of course.

Why don't you use an engine like AGS, AGAST etc?

Depends what you want, with AGS you can create basic adventure games with little scripting, while AGAST requires at least some basic programming skills, it's more flexible, though. It also supports 640x480 and you could also create a CMI-like verb-coin interface.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool ripper.

@Alros: What version of Sam N' Max do you have (language, platform, CD/disk, Talkie, ...)? I tested with English and German, Demo and Full, Disk and Talkie, all worked fine, except for the first room, which always seems to be garbled.

I got it to work on samNmax disk version, and the first room didn't work for me either.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I must say this is an extremely awesome program, though it has a problem with costume viewing. It only displays on section of the costume file, like in Maniac Mansion it will only display the legs. The version I have does anyway. Is this thing going to be updated? Also, the site is down for maintinence at the moment, when will it be up again?

I must say this is an extremely awesome program, though it has a problem with costume viewing. It only displays on section of the costume file, like in Maniac Mansion it will only display the legs. The version I have does anyway. Is this thing going to be updated? Also, the site is down for maintinence at the moment, when will it be up again?

1. This is how the costumes are stored for Maniac Mansion, Zak & others: legs, torsi, head as separate animations so disk space is saved. Animations are a combination of several these elements.

2. The are no plans for updates.

3. The site is down, but current version can be downloaded from here:

http://tobybear.phreque.com/files/lucasripper.zip

Cheers,

Toby

• 11 months later...

Archived