Home

Dedicated Servers Thread

[RNGD]Tyrant

Originally posted by avonnied

i know they are planning one but like all games it will probably be later than sooner..

in the meantime it would be interesting to try this under WineX since they are no really heavy graphics or sound calls it should work..

There is no way my server company will run Battlefront under Wine..... :evanpiel:

anyone having high ping issues. I mean in JA i ping 60 to the dedicated box in this game i ping 110. Infact everyone does or higher. I can even find a server where i ping below 100. WHAT DID THEY DO TO THIS GAME!!!!!!! I tried with bots i tried with out bots I tried everything it is making me mad. They better release a stinkin patch fast.

Friday I sent an email to Pandemic again outlining some concerns I am having regarding the lack of information for server hosts, providers, etc., and asking for a contact and communications forum with the project directors and/or development staff.

I did receive a reply on Saturday from Josh Resnick himself, informing me he has passed my request along to the project leads and asking them to reply to my email ASAP.

As of this morning, I have received no reply.

I made my request on behalf of the large community of server operators who host public and rental servers on high speed connections, or through co-located or datacenter operations. you know who you are - we see eachother on other mailing lists every day :)

Unfortunately, the lack of response from Pandemic and the lack of any non-windows server binaries means most of us will remain in the dark until someone at Pandemic steps up and tells us what is going on. In the meantime, we have seen the Windows binary have some trouble, and we can probably expect the same out of any Linux/BSD binaries that may (or may not) be released in the future.

In any event, I wish to express my utter disappointment with LucasArts and Pandemic at this juncture for a clear snub at the Unix/Linux gaming community, for failing to address the issue of server binaries - which should have been ported and released ahead of the client launch.

Sad to say, but I will remain on the sidelines running BF1942 and BF:V, not purchasing the new game until the folks in charge decide to get their act together and provide the gaming community what it needs.

I have a question..please help

Lets say I want to host a game on my pc, but I am playing via my ps2. What file would I download and how would I go about setting that up? Would I need 2 discs or can I just create a room using that program and join it via the ps2?

ok so that was multiple questions...please help

wrong quote.. that was for JohnnyKnoxville's post regarding admin controls..

don't think there is.. i looked last night and it appears to be no admin controls whatso ever.. even something as simple as kicking a player seems to have to be voted on. This i most likely a artifact of the game being a console port versus a true PC original.

Ok looks like the port is 3658. Now that I have my ports open on my firewall I still can't see my server in the server list when I load the game from my PC. Does the dedicated server that I have the game server running on have to have the game itself installed on it? I was reading through the dedicated server management help page and it says "When you're ready to start your game session, click the Start button. After a few minutes, the game session will launch in a separate window. To end the session, click the Stop button. That sounds like to me that you have to have the actual game installed on the same server as the dedicated server files. Please tell me I'm wrong about this, and if I am then there must be something I'm not setting up right on the dedicated server.

I installed the server from the dedicated server install for the PC, and did not install the retail game. By all accounts, it is showing up in the browser without me doing anything extra other than shutting down my firewall until I can figure out all the proper ports. It's possible that there is another port in use for the browser that you do not have open?

[OSF] May the Force Be With You

Incidentally, the lack of dedicated server options and features affects even the server name. It's nice how the name will not accept spaces and runs everything together you type there no matter what you do. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kailaurius

Ok looks like the port is 3658. Now that I have my ports open on my firewall I still can't see my server in the server list when I load the game from my PC. Does the dedicated server that I have the game server running on have to have the game itself installed on it? I was reading through the dedicated server management help page and it says "When you're ready to start your game session, click the Start button. After a few minutes, the game session will launch in a separate window. To end the session, click the Stop button. That sounds like to me that you have to have the actual game installed on the same server as the dedicated server files. Please tell me I'm wrong about this, and if I am then there must be something I'm not setting up right on the dedicated server.

you might want to look for other ports, there is most likely a gamespy specific port..

i can't remember but last night i was looking at my firewall info on the client and it seemed to be also using port 19900 which is most likely the gamespy port.. if the gamespy port isn't open you won't see it on hte server list.

Archived