Home

Why is there a FPS CAP on multiplayer?!

abcxyz

Why, oh why is there a FPS CAP on multiplayer? In single player, my game is silky smooth but as soon as I go online (which is the main reason I'm buying this game) the fps is A LOT lower and it significantly reduces my game experience.

I know a lot of online games (UT2004 for example and pretty much every other game) that don't have any cap when playing online so why did they do it to this game? Pretty much ruins a very good game in my opinion.

I might well be wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, doesn't FPS have an impact on lag?

I remember reading back from my old quake 2 days that the higher your FPS the more information needs to be transmitted to and from your client to the server, increasing lag.

Therefore lower FPS give better pings.

Like I say I might be completely wrong, it could be completely the other way round, just throwing in my 2 pence.

Here's what the developers have to say concerning the matter here (http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5906&tstart=0):

- PC Multiplayer Frame rate lock – The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the “Ticks per second” setting.

WTF? They don't even give a hint that they might be fixing this! They just state what everyone already knows. They really shouldn't have made a online game if they don't know how to do it properly! Have the developers played any online game in the past five years? Obviously not if they think that it's okay to have a frame rate limit this low in the year 2004!

Originally posted by Alegis

There seem to be a lot of issues on this one so i guess it'll be sorted soon

I did some searching through the files in there... didn't find any config files that contain the data for that (to change manually). Possibly with a command, but I don't know what it would be at the moment.)

I don't know if you guys know about this but FPS in mp can be changed from the server side. The post link below explains how to do it. The one problem I have noticed with this method is that a player attempting to enter a vehicle is glitchy and won't let you in unless you keep trying for a while. Here's the post:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5886&tstart=25

also don't confuse /TPS 80 as FPS 80 it is a T not an F

Originally posted by the developers

The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the “Ticks per second” setting.

Originally posted by ChicoMan

also don't confuse /TPS 80 as FPS 80 it is a T not an F

Don't you think it's weird that the developers of this game think that the Ticks Per Second equals Frames Per Second if you really know that it doesn't?

Anyway, hopefully the FPS lock can be fixed that way but if that really is the case I can't understand why the FPS was originally locked at 20 fps..

Archived