Home

Guns. Please vote.

te27ch

What is your opinion on the civilian ownership of guns?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on the civilian ownership of guns?

• Yes (civilians should be allowed to have guns)
    • No (civilians should NOT be allowed to have guns
    • Either way is fine/I dont care
    • Other (please post)

So, are you pro-(civilian ownership and usage)-of guns, or not? Or, something else....

My opinion is that if guns are allowed, then more power to everyone, and rights rights rights. BUT, if no guns are allowed, I'm also fine with that, because I'm not really much of a guns user at all and dont really own any.

Sometimes my dad (pro-gun) tells me of something that the 2nd amendment in the US bill of rights (right to bear arms) was created so that we can revolution if the government is turning corrupt, which sounds freaky-cool. Wait, too much Star Wars...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am anti-gun but my libertarian leanings say that the state has no place regulating the personal ownership of firearms - especially something so obviously called out in the founder's documents.

My father-in-law has a nice gun collection, and neither my wife nor I want any part of it ...

Mike

I don't outrightly oppose the possession of all types of guns, I just don't perceive why private citizens need to own some sorts of weapons, like assault weapons, shotguns, and other high caliber guns. A handgun is, more often than not for the average citizen, more than enough of a deterrant.

Eh, I don't mind about wether the average citizen gets guns. Afterall, those who would use them to kill innocents would probably buy them illegally anyway. Although, assault weapons are going a bit too far...hunting shotguns and pistols would be enough.

If they band guns, all it would accomplish would be taking away a civilians protection, and leaving them at the mercy of thugs and robbers. You can not always count on having a cop handy when somebody blows a hole through your door and demands your valuables. ;)

Originally posted by Hiroki

Hand guns! Always carry your hand gun with you. ;)

:eyeraise: Because that's safe and practical. Honestly, do you think that an assailant who comes into your home and is pointing a gun at you will let you go for your gun with out shooting you?

It's been mentioned before in the thread about the ban on assault rifles, but you pulling out a gun is going to increase the chances of you being shot before you had a chance to do anything. :dozey:

Originally posted by Hiroki

I was assuming you wern't stupid enough to let them come face to face with you BEFORE you pulled out your gun. :p Do you always get a good look at the people who are breaking into your house before you shoot them?

gee, sorry I have a small house that anywhere you're at you'll be spotted. :dozey:

The fundamental reason that the right to bear arms is such a cornerstone of the US constitution is that 'the state' (in their case, British gov't) was using control of firearms as a way of surpressing dissent and instilling fear - random house-checks and removal of weapons used for food gathering.

So certain weapons are OK, but not others? Who decides which? The 'State'? The U.N.? The criminals who will still get whatever guns they want?

*That* is part of my libertarian objection to gun control - you get the so-called 'assault weapons ban', which was largely a misnomer, but was guided through special interest groups on both sides to be palatable ... but with little impact, ultimately.

Isn't what we want fewer armed criminals? Less violent crime? Fewer household gun accidents where little kids shoot themselves or someone else? Shouldn't *that* be what is worked on?

Mike

Originally posted by SkinWalker

Not all guns. People should be allowed to keep their flintlock rifles and pistols, which were the most advanced firearm developed at the time the Founding Fathers wrote the Second Amendment.

After all, it would be unConstitutional to disallow them.

:rofl:

And, of course, that was also written when states actually existed as self-powered entities, when the Federal government was viewed as a necessary thing for a very minimal set of requirements, and that the bill of rights was largely to protect states and their citizens against the possibility of a federal government encroachment on their sovereignty ...

As I said, I'm anti-gun, but also strongly opposed to both Democratic and Republican attempts to limit my indvidual freedoms 'for my own good' ...

Mike

I say we should be allowed to have any weopon we want! we should have assault rifles and the best bullet proof armor availible!

the founding fathers didn't make that 2nd amendment for NOTHING!

-the 2nd ammendment like free speech etc. is nessicary to keep evil dictators from taking over our country!

-the criminals have weopons WE need weopons and armor to defend ourselves!

I say we should be allowed to have any weopon we want! we should have assault rifles and the best bullet proof armor availible!

Righto, I think that company execs should also be able to buy M1-Abrams tanks...nothing says "back off communists" than a long concrete barrel in your face.

the founding fathers didn't make that 2nd amendment for NOTHING!

That was so that everyone was armed against Britan in case of an invasion, I believe.

-the 2nd ammendment like free speech etc. is nessicary to keep evil dictators from taking over our country!

It doesn't matter if we have guns; if an evil dictator takes out the military and/or assumes control of Congress, we're screwed any way you slice it.

-the criminals have weopons WE need weopons and armor to defend ourselves!

I partially agree with you, but there's a fine line between arming everyone and making everyone a walking tank...

Archived