Home

Guns. Please vote.

te27ch

What is your opinion on the civilian ownership of guns?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on the civilian ownership of guns?

• Yes (civilians should be allowed to have guns)
    • No (civilians should NOT be allowed to have guns
    • Either way is fine/I dont care
    • Other (please post)

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patriot Act my man, patriot act.

Tons of people being unlawfully imprisoned because an officer had a hunch, or a bad feeling. People being held without trial, families not notified for days, they get no phone calls. Unlawful searches of private information, random unlawful and unwaranted phone taps.

not to mention unwarranted searches of private property (aka houses).

I'm pretty sure they've become a wee bit too powerful.

Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch

again, i will pass a judgement, and say it wasn't the marines or Navy

I think passing judgement on something you've already shown yourself to be wrong on is a bad idea. That's how you step on toes at the same time you put your foot in your mouth.

And why not marines or Navy? Just curious why Army or Airforce seems more likely for Sith....:giveup:

And more guns certainly isn't the answer. If more of those kids had had guns MORE people would be dead.
Hm. Guns don't help, but I think one should focus on eradicating the culture of fear in the US before you start limiting gun-ownership. Any measures to limit gun-ownership will naturally make those who own guns nervous. And that can't be a good thing. :( Rather worrying, in fact.

I've been known to get severely depressed over the state of the world. In fact, sometimes I consider my life to be one long search for a way to change things.

One long, hopeless road, paved with the dreams of the innocent, lined with the weeds of popular apathy, which are watered by the tears of the multitudes.

Still, you have to laugh, don't you.

:joy:

To all the anti gun nutty hippies, who are obviously the minority according to the poll, I offer you this: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-10-29-sword-death_x.htm

Yeah, it's too bad we have violence of any sort. And that we have guns to help engage in violence. But those are the facts. We as a species are not able nor ready to lay down our arms. So we won't. It's that simple. With or without guns, people will engage in, and fall victim to violence. If you simply must have a big cause to champion and crusade against, try doing something about violence. Your chances of getting rid of that are as realistic as getting rid of guns.

I don't think anyone here is saying guns are the only reason we have violence, it's just it's much easier to kill someone with a gun than it is a sword or knife. it's easier to live from a knife or sword wound than from a gunshot wound. Also swords and knives only work at short distance (unless you throw them <_<). And I'm not saying get rid of all guns, just the ones the average citizen DOES NOT NEED. What average citizen needs an assault rifle? Do you really need or have to have an AK-47? no. You can say I don't need models or a computer, but they are less likely to be used to kill someone or cause fatal injury. They've put restriction on alcohol, cigarettes, and cars. So why not guns?

As usual, InsaneSith, you make good and valid points.The problem I have here seems to lie in a piss-poor definitions of terms. What you define as something the "average citizen DOES NOT NEED", I consider a harmless hobby, not unlike watching football, or playing softball, or countless other lawfull activities that are not needed and can possibly cause injury or even death. I'm not saying those activities are the same, or share statistics. Just that both are lawfull, and if done properly can be harmless.

Also what you, and lots of ignorant people consider an "assault weapon", I call just a regular ol' gun with purely cosmetic changes. Keep in mind that the only difference in what keeps a rifle from being called an assault rifle is almost always APPEARANCE ONLY and the letter of the law. Not the intent of the law. Nothing about the functionality of the weapons is different. The rate of fire is the same, the same ammunition is used, and in most cases, the cosmetic changes made can actually reduce the level of accuracy, making them less lethal.

My last comment regards yours.

They've put restriction on alcohol, cigarettes, and cars. So why not guns?
What restrictions on alcohol, cigarettes, and cars would you be talking about? Oh, you mean really ****ing high taxes? So if you can afford the weapons, you should be able to have what you want?

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

What restrictions on alcohol, cigarettes, and cars would you be talking about? Oh, you mean really ****ing high taxes? So if you can afford the weapons, you should be able to have what you want?

I mean age wise, and the kinds you can purchase. Certain kinds of Vodka are not able to be bought, atleast not in Texas, ones over a certain proof or size. Same with whiskeys. Certian features on cars are illegal, you can no longer smoke a filterless cigarette without being fined (wtf?).

The common reference of assualt rifle would be your fully automatic high caliber rifle. Usually AK-47 or m16 or what have you.

stupid people cause restriction and in the end the harmless people get punished for it, but it does help decrease the idiotic accidents that happen.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

you can no longer smoke a filterless cigarette without being fined (wtf?).

WTF indeed. That's a new one on me.

The common reference of assualt rifle would be your fully automatic high caliber rifle. Usually AK-47 or m16 or what have you.

Yeah, I kinda gathered that. But I like to be nitpicky when it comes to this subject simply because lots of people assume the term assault weapon ALWAYS means automatic weapons. You've seperated yourself from that crowd, and I applaud you for that. I agree that there really is no practical use for the "average citizen" to have automatic weapons, although I can't say honestly that I wouldn't like to have one or two myself.;)

stupid people cause restriction and in the end the harmless people get punished for it, but it does help decrease the idiotic accidents that happen.

Well said, and I agree. It's a shame. Unfortunately it also causes people to make impromptu swords to behead their coworkers. I'm not sure there's a lesser of two evils to be found there.

But a coworker with an impromptu sword can be run away from, and he can do nothing if he can't catch you.

A coworker with a fully automatic weapon can easily shoot you in the back :(

Like I said, I don't want guns banned, but I do want more restrictions on guns. If we can't teach kids to be responsible with them, they shouldn't HAVE them.

it is interesting to see the gulf of understanding that exists on this issue. Those of us that have grown up in countries without guns just can't really imagine anyone wanting one, or any way that having MORE guns in circulation could make things better... but those of you that have grown up with a gun culture can't see any reason not to have guns. Most interesting...

Originally posted by ET Warrior

But a coworker with an impromptu sword can be run away from, and he can do nothing if he can't catch you.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

To all the anti gun nutty hippies, who are obviously the minority according to the poll, I offer you this: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-10-29-sword-death_x.htm

That's interesting. The guy with a nearly severed head might have something to say about how easy you seem to think it is to run from a sword weilding coworker were he alive and able to do so.

It certainly seems unusual that the other man wouldn't be able to escape, if all the OTHER employees got out....but at least in THIS case, the ONLY person who got injured was the man who was intended to be injured.

How often do you hear of shooting crimes where some innocent 12 year old died from a stray bullet?

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

I say we should be allowed to have any weopon we want! we should have assault rifles and the best bullet proof armor availible!

-the criminals have weopons WE need weopons and armor to defend ourselves!

I think I'll just stay up here in Canada... :)

Archived